PDA

View Full Version : STS-119 launch pics

stktos
2009-Mar-16, 02:42 AM
Hello all.
Was lucky enough to be able to get some good pictures of the launch today.
Took like 110 pics, and quite a few of them are one second apart. So at a later date I will make a few gifs and add them to this thread.

Was about 10 miles south from the launch site. In Cocoa Beach. Was lucky enough to go onto the roof of our building.
The camera was just a Canon PowerShot A640. Set it up to take five pics with one second in between.

Here are 10 of them. Hope you all enjoy them. It was really a beautiful launch!

stktos
2009-Mar-16, 02:43 AM

slang
2009-Mar-16, 08:48 AM
Great shots. Funny how it seems to launch from that little tower roof thingy :) Love that last picture, with the sun illuminating the exhaust trail. The first is also beautiful with the contours, I bet if you told some people that it was sunrise, they'd believe it.

mahesh
2009-Mar-16, 09:33 AM
Superb, stktos!

stktos
2009-Mar-16, 12:23 PM
Funny how it seems to launch from that little tower roof thingy :)

Yea, the roof of my place was PACKED. And it was real hazy in the distance, and could not really make out were the shuttle was. But yea, bet you didn't know NASA launched them from the point of a roof!:lol:

Tassel
2009-Mar-16, 03:54 PM
Excellent shot of the SRBs separating, stktos! My attempts at getting those shots came out blurry and not worth posting. :sad:

These were taken about 30 miles west of KSC with an Olympus 550UZ. For the two closeups I used a 1.7x teleconverter for a total of about 30x zoom.

Curious...does anyone know what caused that dark line to appear in my fourth shot and stktos' 7th shot?

Swift
2009-Mar-16, 04:43 PM
Curious...does anyone know what caused that dark line to appear in my fourth shot and stktos' 7th shot?
I'm guessing something like a contrail shadow (http://www.atoptics.co.uk/atoptics/contr2.htm). Maybe a shadow from the shuttle itself.

cjameshuff
2009-Mar-16, 05:42 PM

It's a shadow, the inverse of a sunbeam. Notice how it lines up with a portion of the trail going straight away from the camera...lines of sight going through that volume spend more time in the shadow of the trail, and so less scattered sunlight is seen along those directions. It's faintly visible in stktos' 8th picture, as well, you can see it fading and widening as the alignment of the contrail with the camera deteriorates.

2009-Mar-16, 05:53 PM
This plume picture I cited in the launch topic (http://www.bautforum.com/space-exploration/84371-sts-119-shuttle-mission-3.html#post1454304), from a different launch, shows the shadow piercing the full moon:
Wikipedia :: Shuttle Plume at Sunset (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ShuttlePlumeAtSunset.jpg)

stktos
2009-Mar-17, 02:20 PM
Nice pics Tassel! And good eye with the shadow. Didn't even notice that the first time, when I posted my pics. I think it looks better in yours.

mahesh
2009-Mar-17, 07:27 PM
stktos hi again....

i just remembered you mentioned that you shot loads of pics....
i see, over a hundred...i am really looking forward to your lift-off composition....
*rubbing palms*....thanks

and thanks zero-one..., for a super link! i have filed this one too, carefully,
(for drooling over, later)....how do you guys do it?
thanks again

and Tassel, thanks also, for nice shots.

andyschlei
2009-Mar-18, 04:36 AM
Wow, great shots.

And that's a long way south of Michigan.

stktos
2009-Mar-18, 12:24 PM
And that's a long way south of Michigan.

Spring Break! :dance:

stktos
2009-Mar-19, 02:21 PM
I finally had some time to put together the GIFs of the launch.
Here they are.
Had to split the first one into two, because of the size restrains.

The last one has to be my favorite.

Hope you all like them.

mahesh your palms can now rest. :lol: