PDA

View Full Version : Ready to nuke it from orbit

closetgeek
2009-Mar-16, 08:48 PM
No, I have not taken any computer courses yet but it is definitely on my list of things to do. I am not sure where it could have come from because before I ran the scans, I deleted temporary internet files and cookies to save some time. My computer was fine on Thursday, didn't use it much Friday, but Saturday my daughter used it. Sunday, I go to use the computer and I keep getting popups, despite the fact that I have a pop up blocker running. Everytime I use the search engine I get a popup usually a STOPzilla ad or a diabetes control ad, but I did get a virus alert popup, twice and once it looked like it was running something. I ran Malwarebytes' and it found 5 infections and quarantined them but the popups continued. I ran Ad-Aware and it found no threats, I ran AVG and it found a bunch of tracking cookies and quarantined them. Still the popups continued so I went to bleeping computer and got VundoFix which found nothing. I ran Malwarebytes' again and it found Vundo and quarantined it but I am still getting popups. Since it's Vundo, is it even worth buying a program or is it best to just wipe out the computer and reinstall? I picked a heck of a week to quit smoking.:cry:

schlaugh
2009-Mar-16, 09:25 PM
By chance is it this or something similar?

Remove Antivirus 2009, removal instructions (http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-antivirus-2009.html&ei=n8K-ScmKMYvEyQX1t5yJBg&sig2=yqvSpSjKuVxCpd8tlGb_LQ&usg=AFQjCNFAHXj-HdIADL_jJF_gOkAfZTxoEA)

Antivirus 2009 is a new rogue anti-spyware program. It is also a clone of Antivirus 2008 - also a rogue, and one that's produced more clones than any.

AV2009 (and its earlier siblings) is designed to continually claim that there are viruses when it IS the virus, or malware to be more precise.

If you Google "Antivirus 2009" you'll find more info than you wished to see. When it attacked my wife's computer I wound up wiping and reinstalling XP. Yuck.

In so doing I made the mistake of installing IE 7 which is appraently a well-known memory leaker. Just keeps gobbling memory.

Nowhere Man
2009-Mar-16, 11:35 PM
What you need to do after cleaning up is get your daughter her own computer, and put a password on yours.

Fred

BetaDust
2009-Mar-17, 12:06 AM
What you need to do after cleaning up is get your daughter her own computer, and put a password on yours.

Fred

I'll second that! :)

Nobody's touching my Laptop!:hand:

--Dennis

novaderrik
2009-Mar-17, 12:57 AM
i'm not what anyone would cal la computer expert, but i have gotten rid of a couple of these worms by doing the foloowoing:
look in the "startup" section in the start menu and take everything out of there.
if you see any programs you don't recognize, find it on the hard drive and temporarily change the name or just delete it altogether.
restart the computer and see if it still happens. if so, run msconfig and disable everything that isn't a Windows program so it doesn't start at startup.
restart and see what happens.

closetgeek
2009-Mar-17, 11:51 AM
I feel terrible blaming my daughter when all along, it me. Thanks for all the suggestions. I prefer having my daughter use my computer because it is in my room and makes it just a bit easier to watch what she is doing. It's a good suggestion but the $500+ it would cost to get everything she would need doesn't normally fall out of my rear till around lunch time. I've thought about it, trust me, but I would end up having to do this again if she infected her computer anyway, that or let the money go to waste by letting it sit unused, so there really is no difference. In the end though, it was all me.
I had to call on old faithful, again, who came uver with a boot disc and ran a couple of scans from there. It seems to be running fine. Thanks again.

mugaliens
2009-Mar-17, 11:15 PM
Whenever I use my computer, everything works fine.

Whenever I let anyone else use my computer, even when it's just in their own user (not admin) logon, things start acting up!

solaris

solaris

solars