PDA

View Full Version : Neverwhere on the BBC

gethen
2003-Dec-08, 02:22 PM
I was in a bookstore yesterday and saw a DVD from the BBC production of Gaiman's Neverwhere. I love this book, but have never seen the BBC production. Is it worth the $29.99 price? Has anyone seen it?

AstroSmurf
2003-Dec-08, 02:36 PM
I've seen it, and liked it.

It seems to get mixed receptions. Firstly, it's a BBC production, which means el-cheapo production design, some shortcuts being taken and all that. I'm not all that good at judging acting, but I thought they did ok for the most part (Croup and Vandemar were really good). I read the book after watching it, and I'm afraid you'll be a little disappointed - some bits are good, some aren't. There are a couple of marvellous scenes, but most are merely ok.

I bought it on 2xVHS, and am perfectly content with that - I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it, but it's well worth what I paid for it.

gethen
2003-Dec-08, 03:16 PM
Thanks, Astrosmurf. That's exactly the type of info I was looking for.

Iain Lambert
2003-Dec-08, 05:18 PM
Personally, I love Neverwhere, and didn't realise there was a DVD available - thanks for this! I'll get my order in asap.

gethen
2003-Dec-13, 10:45 PM
I bought it, and watched it yesterday. No big special effects budget, no big names, no expensive sets. Good actors, good settings, lots of fun. I thought it was a fine version of the book. Croup and Vandermar were indeed perfect. So was the Marquis. Worth the cost.

Roy Batty
2003-Dec-14, 02:19 PM
I bought it, and watched it yesterday. No big special effects budget, no big names, no expensive sets. Good actors, good settings, lots of fun. I thought it was a fine version of the book. Croup and Vandermar were indeed perfect. So was the Marquis. Worth the cost.

No big names!! where were you when Hywel Bennett was doing Shelley?
Classic! :wink: 8) On acting: Mr Croup is mr ham it up or what, excellent :)
Whole series was great, shame it's never been repeated (to my knowledge) Will look out for the DVD! Oh did I mention i'm a big Neil Gaiman fan. Sandman. Death.. Mmmmmllrrgl 8)

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0115288/

Btw the book is a version of the script, which came 1st. Both good of course :)

Paul Beardsley
2003-Dec-14, 09:31 PM
Oh dear, looks like I'm the miserable one here...

Shortly before it came out on TV, there was loads of hype for it all over London - "Who is the Angel Islington?" "Who are the Black Friars?" and stuff. I learned that Lenny Henry and/or Neil Gaiman had, as children, wondered if the place names in London were the names of people. The sort of thing any child wonders, but because LH and NG were celebrities, we were supposed to believe the idea was charming and appealing, and we'd all want to watch a TV production based on the idea.

I also learned it would be about the homeless, because that's really relevant, right, but it wasn't going to be all depressing, but they'd make it non-depressing in a way that wasn't patronising to the homeless...

So I watched the first episode. They made this oh-so-deep observation that when you become homeless, you also become invisible to people with homes, and because this was fantasy, right, you became literally invisible to people with homes, because that was, like, a met-uh-phor.

And then there was this character called Door (so named because she could open doors). I can't remember the name of the actress who played door, but if you get someone to write some lines on a piece of paper and hold the paper some distance away so you can only just read the writing, and then you read the writing once through, that should give you some idea of how good her acting was.

Apparently the series did quite badly. Probably not because of the cheap production values - indeed, typical BBC, they made good use of what they had. I think it was the cloyingness that put people off. For the record, I think Lenny Henry is a very talented comedian, but I generally cannot get on with Neil Gaiman's stuff. Everyone says Sandman is great but it leaves me cold.

gethen
2003-Dec-15, 01:24 PM
Clearly a matter of taste I guess. I was spared the hype for the BBC production and only became aware of it because I had read and really enjoyed the book. But then, I like Gaiman in general, so I was doubly predisposed to like the BBC production. My spouse, incidentally, left the room when the first rat "lost his head," so you are not alone Paul.