PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to the IMAX MARS movie?

Chip
2001-Oct-31, 07:46 PM
Anybody know whatever happened with Jim Cameron's MARS IMAX 3D movie? I thought it was set for release this fall. ? - - - :-|

Mr. X
2001-Oct-31, 10:45 PM
Whoa! Mars movie? Jim Cameron? I think I'm missing something here. Could I have some more background info on what that is?

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Azpod
2001-Oct-31, 11:06 PM
On 2001-10-31 17:45, Mr. X wrote:
Whoa! Mars movie? Jim Cameron? I think I'm missing something here. Could I have some more background info on what that is?

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Mars is a planet, the forth from the star Sol. Jim Cameron is a human, a species that has deluded itself into thinking that it dominates the third planet of the same system that Mars is in. A movie is a primitive way of delivering moving images by displaying still images in sequence such that the resulting image appears to be moving, hence the name.

How these things relate to each other, I have no idea. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Seriously, I haven't heard of this... sounds cool, tho. Hope it isn't an urban legand.

Ben Benoy
2001-Nov-01, 04:34 AM
Well, I looked around some, and what I found follows. The IMDB didn't have any mention of this project, but they've seemed a little sketchy to me recently, so who knows.

This link (http://www.upcomingmovies.com/journeytomars.htmlhttp://www.survivemars.com/IMAX/) says it's still coming up, spring 2002 to be exact. It seems to be a fictional story about a Mars landing, based upon a novel which Mr. Cameron is now in the process of writing. Apparently there will be a TV miniseries, only tangentially related, which will come out at the same time. I don't really understand how this works, a 5 hour miniseries and a 30 minute IMAX flick which have the same name but different plots and characters. First, why do they have the same name if they're totally different, and second, since when did IMAX movies have plots? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Anyway, the link is pretty cool in my book, since it puts the IMAX into the genre "Eye Candy".

Here's a link with some still shots. (http://www.survivemars.com/IMAX/)

Ben Benoy

David Hall
2001-Nov-01, 11:33 AM
...since when did IMAX movies have plots? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Ben Benoy

Well, I saw some TV documentary or news story (BBC? Discovery? I wasn't paying much attention.) that went into IMAX filmmaking, and it said that definitely actual plot-carrying movies are being shot. They even had some behind-the-scenes shots of one of them filming. They talked in length about all the technical problems involved in filming an IMAX drama. For example, the high resolution makes many normal camera tricks difficult or impossible to replicate. Also, the film is very bulky and the cameras are a nightmare, so they can only shoot maybe one or two scenes a day, MUCH less than standard movie-making. All together, the problems make IMAX film 8 times or more expensive than normal film. But it is being done. Slowly and steadily, they are moving away from straight documentaries and into stuff that tells stories.

As an aside, I once had the privilege of being shown around the projection room of the IMAX theater in Denver. Very impressive. The film is 4x as large as standard film and the reels lay sideways on huge platters. They go into the projector sideways, not vertically. The show that night was about mountain climbing, and it was sheer vertigo watching spinning, hanging climbers to the tune of Beethoven's 7th. (I LOVE that symphony /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif)

Chip
2001-Nov-01, 03:44 PM
On 2001-11-01 06:33, David Hall wrote:

...since when did IMAX movies have plots? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
Ben Benoy

Well, I saw some TV documentary or news story (BBC? Discovery? I wasn't paying much attention.) that went into IMAX filmmaking, and it said that definitely actual plot-carrying movies are being shot. They even had some behind-the-scenes shots of one of them filming. They talked in length about all the technical problems involved in filming an IMAX drama. For example, the high resolution makes many normal camera tricks difficult or impossible to replicate. Also, the film is very bulky and the cameras are a nightmare, so they can only shoot maybe one or two scenes a day, MUCH less than standard movie-making. All together, the problems make IMAX film 8 times or more expensive than normal film. But it is being done. Slowly and steadily, they are moving away from straight documentaries and into stuff that tells stories.

As an aside, I once had the privilege of being shown around the projection room of the IMAX theater in Denver. Very impressive. The film is 4x as large as standard film and the reels lay sideways on huge platters. They go into the projector sideways, not vertically. The show that night was about mountain climbing, and it was sheer vertigo watching spinning, hanging climbers to the tune of Beethoven's 7th. (I LOVE that symphony /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif)

Thanks to all those looking into this. I had read somewhere (Newsweek?) a few years ago, before the two most recent Mars movies (Red Planet, Mission to Mars) that Cameron was producing a 5 part 3-D IMAX Mars story. But a lot of times these projects fizzle, (like the movie version of Larry Niven's novel "The Mote In God's Eye.")
On the other hand, legend has it that "Star Ship Troopers" existed on and off, and was partially filmed for years before it was completed. "Enemy Mine," a sci-fi story set on an alien world, was stopped and started too. Anyway, thanks all - I asked because I dig Mars movies (even bad ones - like Sid Pink's "Red Planet Mars" with its notorious "Bat-Rat-Spider- Monster!") Space stuff in IMAX can be fun to see.

P.S. Love Beethoven's Symphony No. 7 too, and it's 20th Century equivalent, Martinu's 5th symphony. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Mr. X
2001-Nov-03, 05:17 AM
Starship Troopers. Loved that movie.

For once the aliens aren't overly intelligent, with sophisticated weapons.

Very cool overall.

David Hall
2001-Nov-03, 08:28 AM
Oh, don't get us started on Starship Troopers. You wouldn't like what we have to say. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Mr. X
2001-Nov-03, 03:29 PM
Really.

Well I'm always open to opinions, as long as you don't consider it the one true faith. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

ToSeek
2001-Nov-05, 03:21 PM
The really annoying thing about Starship Troopers is that they spent all the sfx budgets on the aliens and left out the jumpsuits, which were the coolest part of the book.

I'm still waiting for a truly good adaptation of a truly good sf novel.

David Hall
2001-Nov-05, 04:13 PM
Well, that and the fact that the director totally undermined the basis of the book and turned Heinlien's whole philosophy on it's head. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_evil.gif This movie was a travesty and an insult to one of SF's greats. If you want a real SF war story, go pick up the original book.

There was also a lot of real military idiocy and unbelievability in the story itself. Where was the air cover? Artillery? Futuristic weaponry? It was just a ridiculous movie. Fun to watch at first, but with holes you could drive a (non-existant) tank through. Pheww. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

frenchy
2001-Nov-05, 11:24 PM
I found this using Google.
Your mileage may vary.

http://www.survivemars.com/IMAX/

Enjoy!

Lisa
2001-Nov-06, 08:22 AM
On 2001-11-03 00:17, Mr. X wrote:
Starship Troopers. Loved that movie.

For once the aliens aren't overly intelligent, with sophisticated weapons.

Very cool overall.

Haven't seen the whole thing. Quite a few scenes were filmed here in SD, and they drew heavily on Ellsworth AFB for extras. I worked with a kid who was hired. He says he's in lots of shots, mainly dying. He estimates that he's killed about 8 times in that movis.
Lisa

Mr. X
2001-Nov-07, 04:51 PM
Well, that was... interesting!

That movie isn't about anything, aside from senseless violence! It's fun! They shoot at huge things! And the things die! Woohoo!

And they have futuristic weapons! Look at the very end of the movie: The guy fires the gun and blows away half the mountain! Cool!
And they use air support but only in the downtimes of the movie! Just for special effects purposes! That rocks!

The director is Paul Verhoeven, everyone knows it's a senseless action movie! Like Total Recall! Or RoboCop! It doesn't make any sense! It's just fun!

ToSeek
2001-Nov-07, 07:28 PM
On 2001-11-07 11:51, Mr. X wrote:
It doesn't make any sense! It's just fun!

Then they probably shouldn't have called it "Starship Troopers" and gotten us Heinlein fans all bent out of shape! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Trish
2001-Nov-11, 12:58 PM

Now which one was it? The one at Colorado and I25 or the one at the Natural History Museum?

David Hall
2001-Nov-11, 01:24 PM
On 2001-11-11 07:58, Trish wrote:
Now which one was it? The one at Colorado and I25 or the one at the Natural History Museum?

The one at the Natural History Museum. I wasn't aware of any other. This was at least 8 or 9 years ago so maybe they built a new one since then? I obviously don't get around that area much now. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I was visiting relatives and we decided to go to a show. It was a very slow night when we went there, so the projectionists invited us up to see it. We had the theater almost to ourselves. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

There is an IMAX here in Osaka too, but I've only been to it once (To see Fantasia 2000. Cool). I haven't been back because it's 1: very expensive, 2: inconvenient and difficult to find out what's showing, and 3: most shows are dubbed into Japanese (Fantasia was too, but that one wasn't too difficult to follow. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

Trish
2001-Nov-12, 05:30 AM
On 2001-11-11 08:24, David Hall wrote:
The one at the Natural History Museum. I wasn't aware of any other. This was at least 8 or 9 years ago so maybe they built a new one since then? I obviously don't get around that area much now. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I was visiting relatives and we decided to go to a show. It was a very slow night when we went there, so the projectionists invited us up to see it. We had the theater almost to ourselves. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

There is an IMAX here in Osaka too, but I've only been to it once (To see Fantasia 2000. Cool). I haven't been back because it's 1: very expensive, 2: inconvenient and difficult to find out what's showing, and 3: most shows are dubbed into Japanese (Fantasia was too, but that one wasn't too difficult to follow. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

OK, the one at I25 & Co went in about 3 years ago. That's where I saw Fantasia 2000 - agree it was cool. The one at the Natural History Museum is only ever crowded when there are a bunch of school kids there. (At least now-a-days.)

Oh, isn't everything in Japan expensive tho? I remember going to McDonald's in Japan - I think I spent $12 on my lunch alone - about 1500 yen. That was 13 years ago.

The Bad Physicist
2001-Nov-28, 07:39 PM

Mr. X
2001-Nov-28, 08:00 PM
On 2001-11-28 14:39, The Bad Physicist wrote:

I quite agree!

ToSeek
2001-Nov-28, 10:50 PM
On 2001-11-28 14:39, The Bad Physicist wrote:

Me, too.

The Bad Physicist
2001-Nov-30, 08:14 AM
Sorry about that bad post. I must have clicked submit and not cancel. Anyway, I just saw the IMAX move L5. It is playing at the Sacramento IMAX theater. To tell you the truth, it wasn't that exciting. The scfi movie was in 3D but the plot dragged on for 45 minutes with nothing to show but nice computer generated vistas. Kudos to the person who can tell me what the "L" stands for in L5.(Hints: 1-The the L5 space station was located within the Moon's orbit and 2-it's a fun calculation.)

Roy Batty
2001-Nov-30, 08:48 AM
On 2001-11-30 03:14, The Bad Physicist wrote:
Kudos to the person who can tell me what the "L" stands for in L5.(Hints: 1-The the L5 space station was located within the Moon's orbit and 2-it's a fun calculation.)

Legrange... can I have cash instead of Kudos /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The Bad Physicist
2001-Nov-30, 09:26 AM
Coolness Roy! your right. It's the Lagrangian point L5. There are five Lagrangian points in the Earth-Sun system. As far as the prize...Umm, well, let me give you some advice for the prize: Don't see the IMAX movie "L5". /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

"I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, save me Superman!" - Homer Simpson.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Bad Physicist on 2001-11-30 04:29 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Bad Physicist on 2001-11-30 04:29 ]</font>