PDA

View Full Version : Bracket-Mania '09

Fazor
2009-Mar-18, 03:22 PM
Well, I just filled out my bracket for the men's tourney. I'm not very confident in it, though I never am. I just do a single bracket for $10 though the Amer. Legion that my dad is a member of. I never come close to winning (well, think I was in the top 10 years ago, but since then nada). But at least it makes games I otherwise don't care about, fun to watch.

I'm not a big b-ball fan, but I do love the college tourney. Those kids play with all heart. Well, most of 'em do.

NEOWatcher
2009-Mar-18, 03:26 PM
You should publish your method, and contact the news. Or maybe you need a book first.

The news is so full of the "foolproof" methods right now that the noise is deafening. It happens every year. I have yet to see anybody re-visit any of those claiments after the whole thing is over.

SeanF
2009-Mar-18, 03:38 PM
I'm not into basketball, either, but I may have to watch some of the women's tourney since SDSU is playing (in their first year of eligibility, even!)

jfribrg
2009-Mar-18, 03:49 PM
As always, I am rooting for Villanova. They are only six wins away from their second national championship. 58 of the 65 teams will lose without Villanova doing anything. We just have to finish off the remaining 6.

Fazor
2009-Mar-18, 03:52 PM
:) I like Villanova. They always make a good run in the tourney. I have them going to the final four, but have N. Car beating them. I couldn't bring myself to pick NCar for the championship though; I chose Memphis to win it all, coming off an exciting upset of Louisville.

Memphis has one of the best regular season records of the teams in the tourney, though I didn't look at their strength of schedule. In the end, none of that really matters. Like you say; it's whoever can win those six games in a row.

jfribrg
2009-Mar-18, 04:26 PM
Back in 1978, we had a lottery for the champion. All the teams go into a hat and everyone picks one team. I picked North Carolina. They made a surprising run, but eventually lost. I still root for North Carolina whenever there are no local teams (Villanova, Temple, St. Joe's, Penn) left in the tournament. This year, I think Villanova has a chance to make it to the final four, but getting past Duke will be tough.

I also hope that one of the number 1 seeds loses in round 1. I don't care which one. For a change, I just want to see a 16 seed make it to round 2. It's bound to happen at some point.

Fazor
2009-Mar-18, 05:06 PM
I also hope that one of the number 1 seeds loses in round 1. I don't care which one. For a change, I just want to see a 16 seed make it to round 2. It's bound to happen at some point.

I don't. :) I went against my normal tactic and have most of the number one seeds going pretty far. I never pick one to lose in the first round; but usually pick two to lose in the second round. I don't like going with number one seeds; but this year, Pitt is the first one I have losing, and that's in the 3rd round. Then UConn in the 4th.

So that means this'll be the year that all 4 lose in the first or second round. ;)

HenrikOlsen
2009-Mar-18, 06:22 PM
Well, I just filled out my bracket for the men's tourney. I'm not very confident in it, though I never am. I just do a single bracket for $10 though the Amer. Legion that my dad is a member of. I never come close to winning (well, think I was in the top 10 years ago, but since then nada). But at least it makes games I otherwise don't care about, fun to watch.

I'm not a big b-ball fan, but I do love the college tourney. Those kids play with all heart. Well, most of 'em do.
Some kind of hint to indicate what on earth you're talking about would have been nice.

b-ball=baseball?

NEOWatcher
2009-Mar-18, 06:31 PM
Some kind of hint to indicate what on earth you're talking about would have been nice.
Here's some hints...
Actually; "where on earth" is the first clue in finding out what is being talked about.
Once you get that (and the cultures involved) then you get to when in the year.
After that, there's only one answer...

b-ball=baseball?
oooh, wrong season. Think indoor sport that is over by the spring. Think BIG shoe contracts. Think BIG tall fellas.

Don't have it yet? Here...Basketball

Fazor
2009-Mar-18, 06:47 PM
Bocce-Ball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bocce_ball). It's time for the annual college tourney. :)

Fazor
2009-Mar-18, 06:50 PM
Okay, B-ball is an actual slang term for "basket ball" that is very well known in America, even though it could be used for other sports that start with "B" and end with the word "ball". No one calls "Baseball" "B-ball".

But I always forget that is something that is not globally used, and it always confuses people when I use it on Baut. But learning form past mistakes takes too much effort.

mike alexander
2009-Mar-18, 06:53 PM
I believe it's called 'football' on the Continent.

Anyhow, I just filled out our lab's sheet by flipping a coin for each matchup. My nickel says Memphis will play Akron for the championship, with Akron winning.

Fazor
2009-Mar-18, 06:55 PM
Anyhow, I just filled out our lab's sheet by flipping a coin for each matchup. My nickel says Memphis will play Akron for the championship, with Akron winning.

Well, I think it'd be safe to say with that pick, if you are correct, you'll easily win the pool. :)

NEOWatcher
2009-Mar-18, 07:42 PM
I believe it's called 'football' on the Continent.
Wouldn't it be hamperball on the other side of the Atlantic?

Fazor
2009-Mar-18, 07:45 PM
Except in Australia, where it's known as "Thudwhumper Ball"

jfribrg
2009-Mar-20, 02:47 AM
As always, I am rooting for Villanova. They are only six wins away from their second national championship. 58 of the 65 teams will lose without Villanova doing anything. We just have to finish off the remaining 6.

Villanova 80
American 67

33 down, 5 to go.

jfribrg
2009-Mar-21, 10:07 PM
Villanova 89
UCLA 69

49 Down, 4 to go

SeanF
2009-Mar-23, 01:30 AM
I'm not into basketball, either, but I may have to watch some of the women's tourney since SDSU is playing (in their first year of eligibility, even!)
Well, SDSU won their first-ever NCAA tourney game tonight in rather convincing fashion, beating TCU 90-55. :)

Click Ticker
2009-Mar-23, 01:25 PM
Michigan State is back in the sweet sixteen for the eighth time in twelve years (second only to Duke's 10 in 12). I didn't even do a bracket this year. I usually enter one pool. I won the whole thing in 2005, so I'm actually ahead in total dollars spent vs. won. Picked MSU for the final four that year as an eight seed.

MSU has Kansas next, who they beat by 13 earlier this season. But the second meeting seems to favor the loser of the first - so I hope they don't get too confident. Not that Izzo will let them. Louisville lost to Minnesota earlier this season and they are the one seed in MSU's bracket - so I'm not overly concerned there. It's a winnable game. MSU beat Minnesota three times.

The Big East does appear to be living up to the hype. Five teams still standing. Of course, with all the high seeds they were awarded, they haven't faced any really tough teams yet - but they've still struggled at times.

Fazor
2009-Mar-23, 02:10 PM
My bracket looks ugly so far, but with all the teams I picked going to the elite 8 and beyond still in it, I might not be too bad off.

Click Ticker
2009-Mar-25, 02:57 PM
The Michigan State Spartans have both their mens and womens teams in the Sweet 16 after the ladies pulled the nine seed over one seed upset of Duke yesterday. Especially nice because they defeated their old coach in doing so. I hope they can repeat their 2005 success with both teams in the Final Four.

SeanF
2009-Mar-26, 01:57 AM
Well, SDSU won their first-ever NCAA tourney game tonight in rather convincing fashion, beating TCU 90-55. :)
Couldn't make to the Sweet 16, though, losing to Baylor 60-58. Talk about a tough game, though - I don't think either team had more than a five-point lead throughout the entire second half, and Baylor sank the tie-breaking basket with 0.5 seconds left on the clock.

Well, there's always next year, right? :)

A.DIM
2009-Mar-26, 03:16 PM
Go Cards!

jfribrg
2009-Mar-27, 11:46 AM
This year, I think Villanova has a chance to make it to the final four, but getting past Duke will be tough.

Villanova 77
Duke 54

Please disregard the above quote. I knew all along that the Wildcats are better.

57 Down, 3 to go.

Click Ticker
2009-Mar-27, 12:57 PM
I was torn on that game. As much as I love to see Duke bow out of the tourney each year, I find myself a bit hopeful that the Big East isn't as good a conference as the hype. So far they are proving all the doubters wrong. Kudos.

Fazor
2009-Mar-27, 01:35 PM
Well, I think I'm out of the running. I had Memphis going all the way. It'll be a longshot for them to win it now that they've been bumped from the tourney. :doh:

So the only thing left for me to do is cheer on the only remaining Big 10 team. Go Mich St! (Now that I said that, they'll lose tonight)

rigel
2009-Mar-27, 07:04 PM
I not sure who I'm supposed to support, daughter at Pitt and son at Nova.

jfribrg
2009-Mar-27, 08:53 PM
I not sure who I'm supposed to support, daughter at Pitt and son at Nova.

Pick a college half way in between. Tell them you would have rooted for Shippensburg.

Alternatively, root for whoever has the lead. Or you can root for whoever is losing. If you're like me though, you'll root for Villanova, because it is more fun rooting for the eventual winner.

Fazor
2009-Mar-27, 08:58 PM
If you're like me though, you'll root for Villanova, because it is more fun rooting for the eventual winner.

Spoken with all the arrogance of a true team fan. :) If Mich St doesn't go on (which, honestly, I'm not expecting them to), it wouldn't bug me if Villanova did well. I don't know why, but I've always kinda rooted for them . . . my guess is for the mere fact that they have "nova" in their name, and that's cool (but makes me feel like my g/f--picking teams based on colors... heh).

jfribrg
2009-Mar-27, 11:24 PM
I've always wondered about the town of Villanova, which of course translates to "New town". 7 miles away is another town called "Newtown Square". And 25 miles in another direction is a town called "Newtown". Back when they were naming towns in this neck of the woods, they apparently didn't waste too much time thinking up creative names.

jfribrg
2009-Mar-29, 12:12 PM
This year, I think Villanova has a chance to make it to the final four.

I'm not sure I really believed that when I said it, but it actually happened :)

Villanova 78
Pitt 76

61 Down.
2 to go.

I'm curious Rigel Who did you end up rooting for, or did you hope for overtime? If you did, then you almost got your wish.

Click Ticker
2009-Mar-30, 12:59 PM
Michigan State gets to play in front of a huge home court advantage.

Hopefully Suton can continue his great tournament play and draw Thabeet away from the bucket to limit his damage. Not to get them any ideas, but if UConn wants to win, they're better off sticking a forward on Suton and letting Thabeet camp in the paint. Then it's up to MSU to shoot well. They can do it, they're just not super consistent.

UNC is looking like the team to beat this year.

jfribrg
2009-Mar-30, 01:16 PM
UNC is looking like the team to beat this year.

So far this tournament, it hasn't happened. We'll see what happens on Saturday.

Click Ticker
2009-Apr-06, 11:12 AM
To borrow from jfribrg:

63 down, one to go!

Go Spartans!!! Hopefully State fans did what they've been known to do in the past. Camp outside North Carolina's hotel and make noise all night long. Pistons fans did it to the Laker's in 2004 and it worked. I heard rumors they were out in full force keeping UCONN awake as well.

Fazor
2009-Apr-06, 01:37 PM
Well, I'm just happy they made it to the big game. Win or lose, it's good that the Big 10 could show they're not a pushover conference either.

Though I hope it's not a replay of the last time M-State played UNC.

Click Ticker
2009-Apr-06, 01:58 PM
Though I hope it's not a replay of the last time M-State played UNC.

Izzo and the team, to their credit, are not making excuses for that loss. They are saying even if some of the things going against them didn't happen, they still would have lost by 20 points. Credit so far to both coaches and teams. No bulletin board material yet. Everyone is saying and doing the right things. It's a indication of two very well run programs.

All that said, the Spartans had just played three games in four nights in Florida. They had one travel day and one day off before that game in December. They were without Suton, Green had yet to be part of the rotation, and Roe was limited to 20 minutes playing time by doctors orders. That's pretty much our entire front court today, with spot minutes from Gray and Ibok. Lucas was also suffering back spasms for the week prior and had an awful game. They scheduled the game at Ford Field (70,000 plus capacity) on a week night at 9:00 - so hardly anyone was willing to travel two hours there and two hours back. Around 25,000 showed up, which is next to nothing in a stadium that big - so any home court advantage was wiped out.

I'm a fan, I can make excuses the team is not allowed to make.

I'm under no illusions though. This game will be tough and State winning would be a major upset.

Fazor
2009-Apr-06, 02:15 PM
. . .and State winning would be a major upset.
Yep, but that's the kind of thing that makes the tourney so much fun to watch. It's not impossible.

But like I said, the fact that a team from the Big 10 made it to the game is enough for me. They must have played a hulluva game Saturday; I only got to see bits and pieces. There were a few minutes there where they looked pretty sloppy, but obviously it wasn't anything they couldn't overcome.

hhEb09'1
2009-Apr-06, 03:10 PM
Just to add balance, go Carolina!

I didn't graduate from Carolina, but I tried to. :)

jfribrg
2009-Apr-07, 01:37 AM
In case you were wondering why I didn't post earlier, it was because I was in mourning. One thing about the tournament is that except for one team, everyone else finishes their season with a loss.

Click Ticker
2009-Apr-07, 11:55 AM
Well, no point in risking injury trying if you don't think you have a chance. Michigan State showed their youth. Hopefully next year they'll come back with a chip on their shoulder.

Carolina looked like they could make a little run in the NBA playoffs yesterday. Good news is, they should lose four or five guys to the NBA this off season.

mahesh
2009-Apr-07, 12:26 PM

b-ball=baseball?

Henrik, whatever is being said, it sounds like Twenty20-cricket-speak. Which is not really Cricket.
Needs a tourney-k, round its neck! b-ball=bad ball / baaad ball, to second slip...
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/68600/68692.jpg
the batsman is astonished by its eccentric trajectory...so were we all!

Tall guys? Guys...check out Joel Garner of the West Indies..
wiki quote:
...He was a 6 ft 8 in (2.03 m) fast bowler capable of ripping through the heart of opposing batting line-ups. In conjunction with fellow fast bowlers Michael Holding, Andy Roberts, Colin Croft and later Malcolm Marshall, the West Indies reached unprecedented heights in the Test and one-day cricket arenas, not losing a Test series in 15 years. He is one of the tallest bowlers ever to play Test cricket....

edit:
sorry Fazor.... brief, unintended hi-jack...

Fazor
2009-Apr-07, 01:18 PM
No worries Mahesh.

I only watched the first half of last night's game. Mich St. looked like they needed to slow the pace down, but instead tried to match UNC's quickness. The shots weren't falling for Mich, but that's because they weren't getting good shots off. UNC, on the other hand, looked like they could shoot their shots backwards with their eyes closed and still make them all. Like usual, the team that played better won. I can't say I was surprised, but I was hoping it'd be a bit closer game. Wasn't much fun to watch.