PDA

View Full Version : PM permissions modified

ToSeek
2009-Mar-19, 04:40 PM
Due to a flood of PM spam, I've modified the forum configuration so that members who have posted fewer than 10 times can't send private messages. If anyone sees any problems with their PMs, let me know.

ToSeek
BAUT Forum Administrator

NEOWatcher
2009-Mar-19, 04:45 PM
... If anyone sees any problems with their PMs, let me know.
By sending a PM? :whistle:

Tucson_Tim
2009-Mar-19, 04:46 PM
Should we resend recent PMs?

ToSeek
2009-Mar-19, 04:53 PM
If it worked the way it should have, no one with more than 10 posts should be affected other than they probably can't send a PM to someone with fewer than 10 posts.

If two regular members would like to verify this to be sure, that would be good. I've already verified that I can send a PM to myself and that a moderator can send me a PM.

Gillianren
2009-Mar-19, 05:36 PM
I sent a PM to Paul Beardsley, who will presumably let me know one way or another if he got it. We'll see.

ABR.
2009-Mar-19, 06:09 PM
ToSeek, I've noticed that I'm getting timed out this morning after just a few minutes of inactivity. Also, the Currently Active Members list seems to be acting strangely -- members aren't listed as being on-line yet the green light is on next to their username in posts. Are these related to the changes you've made today? Just curious.

HenrikOlsen
2009-Mar-19, 06:17 PM
There's been several of times where the currently logged in people list has been reset and slowly populated again.

It may be related to a massive spammer attack we've been under lately.

ToSeek
2009-Mar-19, 08:01 PM
ToSeek, I've noticed that I'm getting timed out this morning after just a few minutes of inactivity. Also, the Currently Active Members list seems to be acting strangely -- members aren't listed as being on-line yet the green light is on next to their username in posts. Are these related to the changes you've made today? Just curious.

It shouldn't.

ABR.
2009-Mar-19, 08:07 PM
Spammers....yuck. Someone down in the Untrue Fact thread made a post about spammers being designated war criminals or somesuch. I'm thinking that maybe that's a good idea!

As for the untimely timeouts, if it wasn't related to the spamming/antispamming activity, perhaps I went through a time warp or two. I seem to be doing that a lot since my second kid was born. Sigh.

Thanks ToSeek and Henrik.

trinitree88
2009-Mar-19, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=ABR.;1456976]SNIPPET:As for the untimely timeouts, if it wasn't related to the spamming/antispamming activity, perhaps I went through a time warp or two. I seem to be doing that a lot since my second kid was born. Sigh.
ABR. When my second kid was born, my friend Ed said" Now you've done it...you're gonna realize..kids are a form of birth control."...within a few months I knew exactly what he meant!..:whistle::shifty::lol:.pete

geonuc
2009-Mar-20, 08:31 AM
If it worked the way it should have, no one with more than 10 posts should be affected other than they probably can't send a PM to someone with fewer than 10 posts.
To check this out, just create another account and send a PM to it.

And then, of course, ban yourself for sock puppetry. :D

Moose
2009-Mar-20, 08:48 AM
He has, and we have, but he just keeps coming back. ;)

mugaliens
2009-Mar-20, 01:29 PM
ToSeek - Good for you!

I've never received any spam via PM, however, so I'm curious as to the nature of the issue.

If you required moderator confirmation of new members before they had any posting/PM privalages, would that help?

ToSeek
2009-Mar-20, 02:10 PM
ToSeek - Good for you!

I've never received any spam via PM, however, so I'm curious as to the nature of the issue.

If you required moderator confirmation of new members before they had any posting/PM privalages, would that help?

I'm not sure how we would tell good posters from bad posters at that point.

The issue is that people were registering and then sending private messages advertising a particular website - in the hour before I shut that door, I got five such messages.

mugaliens
2009-Mar-21, 03:57 PM
Mugs - If you required moderator confirmation of new members before they had any posting/PM privalages, would that help?

I'm not sure how we would tell good posters from bad posters at that point.

Well, when 95% of the spammers pick usernames like QR33726, spotting them is

The issue is that people were registering and then sending private messages advertising a particular website - in the hour before I shut that door, I got five such messages.

That's indeed a problem, but I'm sure your PM restrictions help. Have you considered also requiring moderator approval for the first couple of posts? Probably take less time than chasing spam...

HenrikOlsen
2009-Mar-21, 04:53 PM
Well, when 95% of the spammers pick usernames like QR33726, spotting them is

Is only 'twas so.

Of the suspected spammers I checked the last couple of days based on user name, about 10% were longstanding regular members.

If you can write an algorithm that, without any false positives, can identify the spammers in this list: ngc3314, stapo3, tdvance, jmarcusm, Elukka, mugaliens, trinitree88, m74z00219, BenissaMo, cjameshuff, SMacB, JESMKS, DiMuntari, ABR. and ajv, then I'll be interested.

hhEb09'1
2009-Mar-21, 05:51 PM
If you can write an algorithm that, without any false positives, can identify the spammers in this list: ngc3314, stapo3, tdvance, jmarcusm, Elukka, mugaliens, trinitree88, BenissaMo, cjameshuff, SMacB, JESMKS, DiMuntari, ABR. and ajv, then I'll be interested.hheb09'1, kilopi, milli360 :)

ABR.
2009-Mar-21, 08:53 PM
Well, can one really trust any username that contains a punctuation mark?

Moose
2009-Mar-21, 09:25 PM
Well, can one really trust any username that contains a punctuation mark?

Good point. *heads for the mod panel's ban page* ;)

2009-Mar-21, 09:27 PM
One obvious rule of thumb: if the member name is all numbers, the messages have got to be spam.

Moose
2009-Mar-21, 09:32 PM
Good point. *Heads off again to the ban panel*

ABR.
2009-Mar-21, 09:33 PM
Good point. *heads for the mod panel's ban page* ;)

Too late!

kleindoofy
2009-Mar-22, 12:00 AM
... people were registering and then sending private messages advertising a particular website ...
Just for your peace of mind, it's not just on BAUT. This, or something similar has been happening on many forums over the past couple of weeks.

mugaliens
2009-Mar-22, 09:45 AM
Is only 'twas so.

Of the suspected spammers I checked the last couple of days based on user name, about 10% were longstanding regular members.

If you can write an algorithm that, without any false positives, can identify the spammers in this list: ngc3314, stapo3, tdvance, jmarcusm, Elukka, mugaliens, trinitree88, m74z00219, BenissaMo, cjameshuff, SMacB, JESMKS, DiMuntari, ABR. and ajv, then I'll be interested.

stapo3
jamarcusm
BenissaMo
DiMuntari
ABR

Just a guess....

HenrikOlsen
2009-Mar-22, 11:33 AM
ABR

Just a guess....
And that's the problem with that type of detection.

mugaliens
2009-Mar-23, 12:45 AM
You didn't get it...

TJMac
2009-May-10, 07:13 PM
I understand the reasoning behind the "less than 10 Posts"/no PM rule. But I will offer up the thought that it makes it tough for us newbies to get a hold of a Moderator for some reason that we don't necessarily wish to become a public discussion.

To emphasize: Not complaining, but wanted to ask a question of a moderator, and it is not possible to do until I have 10 posts. This is not the end of the world, and I will cope. :)

TJ

Moose
2009-May-10, 07:32 PM
Yeah, we mods are finding it equally inconvenient when we have to get a hold of a new user via PM and can't. (Same reason.)

Just goes to show why you should all listen to Bob Barker and have your spammers spayed or neutered.

ToSeek
2009-May-11, 03:32 PM
I understand the reasoning behind the "less than 10 Posts"/no PM rule. But I will offer up the thought that it makes it tough for us newbies to get a hold of a Moderator for some reason that we don't necessarily wish to become a public discussion.

To emphasize: Not complaining, but wanted to ask a question of a moderator, and it is not possible to do until I have 10 posts. This is not the end of the world, and I will cope. :)

TJ

I understand the issue, but I don't see any way around it that doesn't put a hole in the dike. Considering what was happening at the time I put the fix in, I really don't want to do that.

Tucson_Tim
2009-May-11, 03:35 PM
Yeah, we mods are finding it equally inconvenient when we have to get a hold of a new user via PM and can't. (Same reason.)

Just curious, since a user has to supply a valid e-mail when registering, can the mods e-mail someone, even if they have that option turned off?

ToSeek
2009-May-11, 03:41 PM
Just curious, since a user has to supply a valid e-mail when registering, can the mods e-mail someone, even if they have that option turned off?

Yes, we do have that option, and we do use it when necessary.

grav
2009-May-12, 03:48 AM
I'm probably just stating the obvious, but couldn't the 10 posts or less fix just be modified to still allow PMs to moderators and vice versa?

ToSeek
2009-May-12, 03:51 AM
I'm probably just stating the obvious, but couldn't the 10 posts or less fix just be modified to still allow PMs to moderators and vice versa?

I've pored through what I think are all of the relevant administrator configuration pages, and I can't find anything that allows me to do that. If you want to do some research to see if VBulletin does allow that capability somewhere, feel free and then please let me know.

grav
2009-May-12, 04:00 AM
Perhaps adding a separate page in the user profile for moderator/member use only, allowing easy access for new members and can't be turned off like PMs can if a moderator is officially trying to contact someone.

captain swoop
2009-May-12, 07:43 AM
A newby can still get hold of a Mod with the reporting triangle.

TJMac
2009-May-14, 11:34 PM
To be honest, if I was extremely concerned about contacting a Mod, I would simply go into some of the "Off-Topic" threads and post up to 10 posts.

Like I said earlier, I will cope, this is a great board and due to the sheer number of posts, I would guess the Moderators keep rather busy.

TJ

lbiar
2009-Jul-24, 10:42 PM
This seem my problem:

I have only 1 message, I treat to comunicate with a moderator (2 times with 2 moderators) and nothing.

This seem I need write 10 messages.

I like send a atm and seen rules maybe problem with newbies, and also with a 1 month time. It's this moment well in summer or not?

Thanks.

antoniseb
2009-Jul-24, 10:50 PM
... This seem I need write 10 messages...
You should perhaps go to the Fun & Games section and make ten posts.

ToSeek
2009-Jul-24, 10:50 PM
This seem my problem:

I have only 1 message, I treat to comunicate with a moderator (2 times with 2 moderators) and nothing.

This seem I need write 10 messages.

I like send a atm and seen rules maybe problem with newbies, and also with a 1 month time. It's this moment well in summer or not?

Thanks.

You should be able to have 5 private messages from the get-go. There shouldn't be a problem in that regard, possibly just that the moderators are slow to respond.

lbiar
2009-Jul-24, 11:00 PM
Thanks antoniseb, already have now 4 messages, I go to obtain the 10 messages needed.

Other note: antoniseb or ToSeek any of your may answer me any problems for write 1 atm??

Thanks another time:

swampyankee
2011-Dec-27, 01:40 AM
Could the mods set it up so they can send PMs to very new users even if the VNU can't send them out? I can receive FM broadcasts, but I'm not a radio station, so I can't send them out ;)

Moose
2011-Dec-27, 01:58 AM
Wasn't possible when we tried it. Maybe they've fixed it by now. Don't think anyone's bothered to check.

swampyankee
2011-Dec-27, 03:34 AM
Wasn't possible when we tried it. Maybe they've fixed it by now. Don't think anyone's bothered to check.

For some reason, it strikes me as rather weird (as in "what were the forum software writers smoking?") that admins cannot send PMs to everyone regardless of whether they can send them.