PDA

View Full Version : Airports... what are they doing?

stktos
2009-Mar-20, 08:55 PM
Here I sit in the Orlando Airport waiting for my flight. Thinking of all the great times I had on this spring break and still playing with the pictures I took of the shuttle launch. Checking out BAUT.
There are a good bunch of people that are using laptops here. I can count six from my view point. But here is the thing. Four of them are all crowded around this tiny circular table called the "Samsung chargning station". I look around, and there are almost NO wall outlets. What the heck? Don't they know that people like to use there electronics when they are sitting for hours... waiting?
Thank god I have a full battery with six and a half hours left! Or I would be doomed to stand there. Touching shoulders with that guy that has the worlds oldest laptop. (It has an antenna sticking out the side. NO JOKE!)
Why don't they put more plugs?

Comments!?

For those of you that often the Orlando airport, and disagree with me I will stand corrected. Just the charging table. Why is is so small? Like large pizza box size at best.

Larry Jacks
2009-Mar-20, 09:27 PM
Airports have a few electrical outlets scattered around but I'll bet they're more for the janitorial staff to power vacuum cleaners than for laptop users. I frequently see recharging stations and many of them require customers to pay for usage. Imagine that - charging someone for a service! Electricity isn't free, don't you know?

chrissy
2009-Mar-20, 09:40 PM
Touching shoulders with that guy that has the worlds oldest laptop. (It has an antenna sticking out the side. NO JOKE!)
Why? Did this guy have a very infectious disease that you would catch from him. Just because he had an old laptop, says what about this guy?

As for recharging services, maybe that is the last thing on their priority list.

Moose
2009-Mar-20, 09:46 PM
The answer is pretty simple: the airport predates laptops. The charging station is an afterthought.

Consider that wiring up the walls would require major renovations and downtime for that terminal for something that is ultimately a courtesy (aka, a liability in bean-counter terms.) Setting up a central "charging station" is pretty much just dropping some new circuits from the ceiling down a (non-load-bearing) pillar with a table built around it. Cheap at twice the price.

Swift
2009-Mar-20, 09:49 PM
How long has it been that in a given waiting area you'll have even one or two people using laptops? 10 or 15 years? How old are most airports? At the time they were designed, there was not needed. And, as Larry Jacks said, those outlets are probably mostly for the cleaning staff and maintenance.

nauthiz
2009-Mar-20, 10:01 PM
The newest terminal at O'Hare, #5, was built in the mid '90s. It's mostly used for international arrivals. The next newest is #1, the primary international departures terminal, in the late '80s.

Both the domestic terminals were built in the 1960s when mobile electronics were still largely the stuff of science fiction.

stktos
2009-Mar-21, 02:00 AM
I guess I forgot to mention that the airport was just redone. Last year when I flew out of it, much of it was under construction.

And chrissy, i didn't mean any bad things about that guy. Just the station was overly crowded and that the airport should notice such a thing.
I in no way meant that I would have not been standing there, if I needed the charge.

mugaliens
2009-Mar-21, 02:14 AM
Wherever there are plugs, there are usually a couple of people sitting on the floor next to them, jacked in.

The last time plugged in at an airport was in O'Hare, but in a restaurant. Using the electricity was free. Accessing the Internet via their restaurant would have cost $3.95 / 15 min.

No way.

Fortunately, my laptop bag is roomy enough to hold that most wonderful of stand-byes - a paperback novel. So, while my laptop recharged, I read.

Sam5
2009-Mar-21, 02:38 AM
Fortunately, my laptop bag is roomy enough to hold that most wonderful of stand-byes - a paperback novel.

Ha, ha, ha, was it one of the old kind with the big antenna on it? :)

nauthiz
2009-Mar-21, 04:19 AM
I guess I forgot to mention that the airport was just redone. Last year when I flew out of it, much of it was under construction.

True, but I'm pretty sure the redoing was mostly cosmetic. Boring holes through the walls so they could run electrical wire probably wasn't in the budget.

When my high school (which was much smaller than any of O'Hare's terminals) decided to run cat5 to all the classrooms, it cost them something on the order of $100,000.

LotusExcelle
2009-Mar-21, 05:11 AM
As an aside there are several modern laptops that would normally have antennas sticking out the side - most notably a Toughbook with a built in cell card.

sarongsong
2009-Apr-04, 01:17 AM
That would thwart airport snoopers! http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
January 30, 2009
...97 percent of airport Wi-Fi users that they tested were vulnerable to hackers. Like all public Wi-Fi systems, airport Wi-Fi is unsecure so that the public can easily access it...Rick Farina demonstrated how easy it was as he broke into an e-mail account created specifically in order to test its security. "It only takes a few seconds"...the Federal Communications Commission recommends never accessing banking or health information when using airport wireless connections.
cbs3.com (http://cbs3.com/technology/airport.wi.fi.2.921166.html)