PDA

View Full Version : Crash at Narita

Jens
2009-Mar-23, 06:30 AM
A FedEx plane crashed on landing at Narita. Pretty hairy video of the crash. Though I'm a complete novice, it looks like maybe they tried to abort the landing but didn't make it back up.

slang
2009-Mar-23, 11:58 AM
It does look strange, it's almost like the nose bounces back up from the runway, after which it oscillates back down out of control. There are reports of warnings for strong gusts of wind.

Videolink here (http://www.nuvideo.nl/algemeen/24955/doden-bij-vliegtuigongeluk-japan.html), not sure if it will play outside the Netherlands.. Pretty hairy video indeed.

Sticks
2009-Mar-23, 12:16 PM
By some quirk of fate the Google ads were advertising courses to beat teh fear of flying :eh:

Swift
2009-Mar-23, 02:20 PM
The photos on CNN.com show the plane upside-down, with the wheels pointing in the air, and the plane relatively intact (not in little pieces). I don't recall the last time I saw one like that.

blueshift
2009-Mar-23, 08:08 PM
Improper cargo securing during loading of the jet can make a change in position of the center of gravity to the opposite side of the axis of rotation, changing the direction of torque. In fact, a pic in my Cutnell and Johnson's "Physics, 3rd Edition" has a photo of a misloaded Fed Ex jet with its tail right on the ground with the front landing gear at the nose up off the ground. It is likely that cargo came loose during landing.

Rhaedas
2009-Mar-23, 08:24 PM
The photos on CNN.com show the plane upside-down, with the wheels pointing in the air, and the plane relatively intact (not in little pieces). I don't recall the last time I saw one like that.

They might find something totally different that caused the crash, but I ran across this page today looking around.

http://www.airlinesafety.com/faq/faq9.htm

There's a couple of pictures there that are very similar. For whatever it's worth.

Trebuchet
2009-Mar-23, 11:46 PM
Google Mandarin Air MD11 accident for yet another inverted MD11. Considering how few were built, that's way too many.