PDA

View Full Version : Big article about our Phil in today´s San Francisco Chronicl

Magnificent Desolation
2002-Mar-29, 12:23 PM
I didn´t know exactly which forum to put this one in, so I have decided to post it in this forum.

There´s a BIG article about Phil in today´s "San Francisco Chronicle". A truly "must read and spread the word to all your friends"-article !!

The URL is:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/03/29/NB168172.DTL

Just one of many gems from the article:

""He's a pretty special guy," said his wife, Marcella Setter, a budget analyst and coordinator for a nonprofit. "He's very passionate about astronomy and about putting good information out to replace the bad. He turns into a kid when he talks about astronomy. I tease him. I say, 'You're a rocket scientist, but you can't balance the checkbook.' "

Oh, Phil ..... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif That damn checkbook ! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Also check out the picture of Chris Elliott, eh ... I mean: Phil ... at:

http://www.sfgate.com/chronicle/pictures/2002/03/29/mn_nbplanet.jpg

It has the caption:

"Phil Plait adjusts a sun filter before a bout of sun-gazing. Chronicle photo by Eric Luse "

"Magnificent Desolation"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Magnificent Desolation on 2002-03-29 07:34 ]</font>

Hale_Bopp
2002-Mar-29, 01:07 PM
Okay, Phil, did you really have a telescope with a 10 inch lens? Or was it a 10 inch mirror? Didn't we just get through taking CNN to task for making this mistake /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Rob

Jim
2002-Mar-29, 02:45 PM
"This show (FOX-TV documentary) was just garbage, an hourlong piece of junk... It was really worrisome that kids are being convinced by this crap."

Phil, Phil... you shouldn't hold in your feelings like this.

"...Plait, who wears a NASA cap to shield his balding pate from the sun."

Uh, oh. I can hear the HBers now. "See, Plait is a NASA shill... and he sold out for a baseball cap!"

(Yeah, I could left out the "pate" remark, but Phil's such a nitpicker for accuracy. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif )

The Incubus
2002-Mar-29, 03:10 PM
On 2002-03-29 09:45, Jim wrote:
Uh, oh. I can hear the HBers now. "See, Plait is a NASA shill... and he sold out for a baseball cap!"

Well, it's better than selling your soul to the devil for a donut. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The (Mmm, sacri-licious) Incubus

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Mar-29, 04:30 PM
Wow, that's a long article! I guess I'm not too surprised; the interview took all morning. I haven't read the whole thing yet, but I did pick up a few copies of the Chronicle on my way in this morning. It looks like there's an extra picture in the paper that is not on the web, of me holding up a model of the Apollo 11 landing site. You can guess why! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Hale_Bopp
2002-Mar-29, 05:03 PM
So, you got to see the model they used when filming some of the scenes, huh /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Rob