PDA

View Full Version : A ghost caught on Google Street Level UK - Er Nope!

Sticks
2009-Mar-26, 12:17 PM
This is one lovely example of a lack of critical thinking on the part of a major broadsheet newspaper, the Daily Telegraph of all papers :surprised

It ran this story (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/google/5051309/Victorian-ghost-picked-up-by-Google-Street-View.html)

Experts have been called in to examine the Google ghoul filmed at a former Victorian docklands which has a dark and sinister past.

The woman dressed in long skirt, crisp blouse, bow tie, blue boater hat and scarf appears to be shimmering above the pavement.

She was captured by the Google Street View cameras in Tiger Bay, Cardiff - the scene of murders and unsolved mysteries going back 200 years.

For reference the image in the article is here (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Millenium+Centre,+Cardiff&sll=54.97722,-1.632156&sspn=0.17339,0.403061&ie=UTF8&ll=51.465003,-3.164459&spn=0.001323,0.006298&z=17&layer=c&cbll=51.465002,-3.164463&panoid=yAIiTVUA3is84kYa2BngrQ&cbp=11,131.41529479022716,,0,25.182476073104787)

This is obviously footage of a Ghost caught by Google?

Nah

It was a local newspaper (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2009/03/26/google-s-ghostly-mary-poppins-mystery-solved-91466-23235039/) that did what the national failed to do, dig up the truth if you pardon the expression

THE mystery surrounding a sighting of Mary Poppins in Cardiff Bay has been solved – she was planted there by internet giant Google.
The Echo yesterday revealed how the picture of everyone’s favourite nanny was discovered on Google Street View, the new service allowing users to access 360-degree views of roads and homes in 25 British towns and cities, including Cardiff, Barry and Penarth.

Dressed to the nines and crossing a busy road outside the Wales Millennium Centre, the Disney character was captured by the Google street car which was traversing the capital’s streets last June.

No-one could explain why she was there – some suggestions even included that she could have been a ghost.

But today we can reveal that she is just one of a number of fictional characters that Google chiefs decided to cheekily place in the new map.

As for the strange appearence where she is floating, if you examine the image, this is what you normally get when you combine images in stitching software to get these 360 effects. All you have to do is use the arrows and move away from that scene, then zoom in.

You see her standing on the pavement and with a shadow.

Shame nobody at the Telegraph thought of that.

Swift
2009-Mar-26, 01:54 PM
As for the strange appearence where she is floating, if you examine the image, this is what you normally get when you combine images in stitching software to get these 360 effects. All you have to do is use the arrows and move away from that scene, then zoom in.

What a bunch of twits. One look at the photo shows it is a bad stitching job. :doh:

NEOWatcher
2009-Mar-26, 05:31 PM
This is one lovely example of a lack of critical thinking on the part of a major broadsheet newspaper, the Daily Telegraph of all papers :surprised
The major-er the worse it gets I think. They run things with no checking at all.
It's not a lack of critical thinking. It's a lack of looking at thier own content. They figure if someones willing to say it, then that's easy content.

Shame nobody at the Telegraph thought of that.
I'm sure lot's of people did. Nobody cared, it's content.

I've seen lots of garbage lately from that source. I thought it was a tabloid.

hhEb09'1
2009-Mar-26, 05:49 PM
Nevermind Mary Poppins, what does CREV GWIR IN IHESE STONES FEL GWYDR HORIZONS OFF WRNAIS AWEN SING mean?

Sticks
2009-Mar-26, 06:01 PM
It's Welsh for something, and yes the online translator I used was useless

chrissy
2009-Mar-26, 10:25 PM
Nevermind Mary Poppins, what does CREV GWIR IN IHESE STONES FEL GWYDR HORIZONS OFF WRNAIS AWEN SING mean?

‘In these stones horizons sing’ and in Welsh ‘Crev Gwir Fel Gwydr O Ffwrnais Awen’ (which translates as ‘creating truth in glass from the furnace of inspiration’). ;)

chrissy
2009-Mar-26, 10:28 PM
It is inter mingled.

Disinfo Agent
2009-Mar-27, 12:29 PM
Thank you for the heads-up, Chrissy. Beautiful sayings, and beautiful language. :cool:

It was a local newspaper (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2009/03/26/google-s-ghostly-mary-poppins-mystery-solved-91466-23235039/) that did what the national failed to do, dig up the truth if you pardon the expressionThat article deserves a better rating than it currently has.

chrissy
2009-Mar-27, 09:20 PM
I agree DA and you are most welcome. :)