PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget the Geminids!!!

heliopause
2003-Dec-12, 04:46 PM
They peak Saturday and Sunday (the 13th and 14th). Although you will have to contend with a waning gibbous moon, if you get out before the moon rises, you should get a glimpse of at least a few Geminids.

Hale_Bopp
2003-Dec-13, 12:55 AM
I have always liked the Geminids, even though it can be cold. A nice thing about them is that Gemini rises nice and early. You can get decent numbers before midnight. Of course, you still get the best show closer to sunrise, but not all of us like to get up that early!

Rob

zebo-the-fat
2003-Dec-15, 10:06 PM
Saw them last night (Sunday) great show on a cold clear night just before midnight. My wife was happy - she saw her first shooting star (and second, third, fourth....) Here in the UK we have a tradition of meteor showers always occuring on wet and cloudy nights. (I think it's a government rule) :D

Glom
2003-Dec-15, 10:47 PM
I tried looking for Geminids on Saturday night/Sunday morning. It was about 0300, because I'd just got back from the Moon for a glorious reunion, in which, while everyone else told of how they spent their first term getting drunk and observing poor hygiene standard, I told of how I became an officer cadet in the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserves and... oh wait... that didn't happen. Only in my dreams. :(

Anyway, I digress. I didn't see any meteors. But the constellation looked gorgeous as usual, especially with Saturn looking in the middle of it. I was binocular observing. Orion is super-stunningly gorgeously gorgeous through binoculars. There are a last quarter as well, which is always glorious, if light polluting. But no Geminids. :(

Tensor
2003-Dec-16, 01:27 AM
Here in the UK we have a tradition of meteor showers always occuring on wet and cloudy nights. (I think it's a government rule) :D

From my experience in the UK, I thought it was a government rule that all nights were wet and cloudy. Although I do admit the weather was better there than in Iceland.

Frantic Freddie
2003-Dec-16, 01:36 AM
Ah,so that was what the wife saw last night after walkin' the dogs late,she told me she'd seen more shooting stars than usual.

zebo-the-fat
2003-Dec-16, 07:56 AM
From my experience in the UK, I thought it was a government rule that all nights were wet and cloudy. Although I do admit the weather was better there than in Iceland.

Not all nights, just those when something is going on in the sky!

Swift
2003-Dec-16, 03:03 PM
Here in the UK we have a tradition of meteor showers always occuring on wet and cloudy nights. (I think it's a government rule) :D

It must be a UN or other international rule. All I saw in Ohio, USA was the underside of clouds. :(

Marjorie
2003-Dec-16, 08:43 PM
I saw quite a spectacular meteor on Sunday evening. It streaked by, under Saturn, and seemed to be coming from the north. It was really a beautiful sight. I saw another, smaller one a few minutes later.

I think Saturn is getting brighter. I don't see it very often because of clouds, and last Sunday was my first view of it in about 2 weeks. It's lovely even without a telescope.