PDA

View Full Version : After downloading thousands of songs off the internet . . .

Tucson_Tim
2009-Mar-30, 07:39 PM
After you've downloaded thousands of songs off the interent, what do you have? I know, you have a great enjoyment that can't be measured monetarily. Anyhow, my wife pokes fun at me for buying the CD of the artist when I hear a song that I like: "Why don't you just download that song for eighty-nine cents?" And a lot of the time she is right: I find that, after purchasing the CD, I don't much care for the other songs on the CD. Maybe it's like buying a book versus reading it online or via a Kindle-like device. I can listen to the entire CD, import the songs I want on my iPod, and then place the CD on the shelf. And I can't explain why I feel good about that. I don't think the reason is anything so moral as supporting the artists . . .

danscope
2009-Mar-30, 09:09 PM
And then .......sometimes you find an over looked pearl that you just love.
A cd may contain 18 songs or more . In general, you are likely to enjoy more than just a few.
Quite often, on some music sites, they have included a 20 second sound bite of each song as a sample, to give you a feel for what you are paying for.
One song at a time is ,perhaps, a somewhat narrow view of an artists'
work. Imagine if we only heard one song out of the Beatle's , white album,
revolution #9. Some people might get the wrong impression. :)
Anyway, it's nice to have options.
Best regards,
Dan

flynjack1
2009-Mar-31, 12:10 AM
It also helps when your computer or ipod crashes to be able to have a back up copy with the user rights to reinstall. I kinda prefer it myself, though I do both too.

Tucson_Tim
2009-Mar-31, 12:58 AM
And then .......sometimes you find an over looked pearl that you just love.
A cd may contain 18 songs or more . In general, you are likely to enjoy more than just a few.

Best regards,
Dan

Yes. Many times I've purchased a CD for one or two songs and ended up enjoying other songs on the CD more.

BTW, I also download songs so it is nice to have the choice.

Tucson_Tim
2009-Mar-31, 12:59 AM
It also helps when your computer or ipod crashes to be able to have a back up copy with the user rights to reinstall. I kinda prefer it myself, though I do both too.

I back up all my music (and photos) onto an external HD.

flynjack1
2009-Mar-31, 01:07 AM
I back up all my music (and photos) onto an external HD.

Yeh, I learned that the hard way, but still feel a sense of comfort when I look at my CD collection collecting dust in the corner. Same goes for my old LP's, collecting dust that is. Though I did revive the LP's long enough to digitize them.

Tucson_Tim
2009-Mar-31, 01:10 AM
Yeh, I learned that the hard way, but still feel a sense of comfort when I look at my CD collection collecting dust in the corner. Same goes for my old LP's, collecting dust that is. Though I did revive the LP's long enough to digitize them.

You bring up another thought I've had. Your collection is worth something. It might take you a while to find the buyers but, over time, you probably could sell your entire CD and LP collection. If you download everything, you end up with a large collection that is virtually worthless. (Now, I'm ignoring the pleasure aspect and just referring to the monetary value of the collection.)

flynjack1
2009-Mar-31, 01:33 AM
Well I guess it boils down to how much you like the music. I usually download songs that I never really wanted the album to, or am interested in the artist but not sure if I'm interested enough to buy a full album. Very rarely do I purchase the full album for download. And there are always buyers down at the second hand bookstore, though I have to admit I will have to get pretty hungry before I part with most of my music.

sarongsong
2009-Mar-31, 02:49 AM
A freebie (http://www.bobdylan.com/#/) for Dylan fans; "Beyond Here Lies Nothin' ". :)

BigDon
2009-Mar-31, 11:08 AM
A friend of mine stopped at one of the rest stops on I-280 and saw a detachable harddrive laying on the ground. He was curious, so he examined the contents at home and found there was 53,012 songs downloaded onto it. A very nice find.

geonuc
2009-Mar-31, 11:26 AM
A friend of mine stopped at one of the rest stops on I-280 and saw a detachable harddrive laying on the ground. He was curious, so he examined the contents at home and found there was 53,012 songs downloaded onto it. A very nice find.
I think I'd have to have more confidence in my computer protection software than I do now before I'd hook up something I found on the ground at a rest stop.

BigDon
2009-Mar-31, 12:13 PM
I think I'd have to have more confidence in my computer protection software than I do now before I'd hook up something I found on the ground at a rest stop.

This is one of my brother's colleages. VMware recently offered him a godawful amount of money to come work for them at a meeting with his present employers also in attendence. His CEO immediately told him they would exceed the very generous offer by VMware if he stayed. So, for most other people I know, what you say is very true.

novaderrik
2009-Mar-31, 08:25 PM
i like having the entire album. the songs i like tend to not be the songs you can hear on the radio every hour. of course, most of the bands i like tend not to get played on the radio very often..
i also like having the case with the cover art and inlay cards and stuff. it's a part of the experience for me.
i've got a couple of hundred tapes from the 80's, hundreds of cd's from the 90's, and 4 or 5 vinyl albums that came from somewhere or another that i've got no way to listen to.

Fazor
2009-Mar-31, 08:52 PM
It's funny. My experience has been, I'll like a few songs a lot. I'll buy the album. I'll be disappointed by the "new" songs, but I leave the same CD in my car player for months at a time (my drive to work is very short, so it doesn't get too repeatative).

Over time, I'll start to like the other songs. Then I'll start to dislike the songs I initially liked. By the time the CD's "settled", my favorite songs are among the "new" songs, and I'll skip over the songs that made me buy the album in the first place.

Tucson_Tim
2009-Mar-31, 09:00 PM
Over time, I'll start to like the other songs. Then I'll start to dislike the songs I initially liked. By the time the CD's "settled", my favorite songs are among the "new" songs, and I'll skip over the songs that made me buy the album in the first place.

I've experienced this same phenomenon many times. Some songs need time to grow on you.

danscope
2009-Mar-31, 10:43 PM
Yes. Many times I've purchased a CD for one or two songs and ended up enjoying other songs on the CD more.

BTW, I also download songs so it is nice to have the choice.

Hi, Yes, and....with a good burning program, I'l drag and drop such as I select
and make a good compilation. Homegrown CD's.
I like the "original" version of 'Pennylane' by the Beatles; only to be found on an album called "Rarities" and put it on a copy of 'Magical Mystery Tour".
Some fans find this particularly satidfying, restoring what Phil spector
tried to wipe out. Justice triumphs. :)
Best regards,
Dan

sarongsong
2009-Apr-01, 02:28 AM
...I like the "original" version of 'Pennylane' by the Beatles; only to be found on an album called "Rarities"...It was released as a single.
...Some fans find this particularly satisfying, restoring what Phil spector tried to wipe out...Spector was only involved with their later, final "Let It Be" album.

danscope
2009-Apr-01, 04:16 AM
Hi, I believe that it was on the original cut that was sent as a pro-mo copy to radio stations, but the modified song was sent out for purchase.
In fact, I lost (wrongfully) a $5 bet with a friend concerning the
"last seven notes" of the song, not having known that the release of pennylane had been edited.
.....just for fun I googled it just now, to find....
"The famous picolo trumpet solo was the invention of Paul McCartney
after hearing David Mason play one in a live BBC performance of Bach's Brandenburg Concerto#2 only a few days earlier,and asked David to come in and a solo written by Paul.
The original promo copy of Penny Lane featured a different mix when Mason plays a fanfare over the ominous ending ; this mix was the first made available to the public on the 1980's album "Rarities" LP , and is found on the Rarities Anthology 2 . "

It's a small bit of trivia, but with the luxury of the internet, we can find things out.
Hmmmmm....I wonder if my friend has the $5 ? :)
Best regards,
Dan