PDA

View Full Version : Humorous Anecdote

Chip
2002-Mar-29, 06:33 PM
Phil! You magnificent Astronomer! I read your book!

I really liked the clear, succinct overview of the results and aftermath of the Sagan / Velikovsky debate. I donít think anyone has expressed it with that much insight. Really fun to read and gutsy with regard to Creationists, and commercial Star Namers! Your book would also make a fine NOVA show on PBS.

Humorous (or sad) Anecdote: (Proof that your book is sourly needed.)

I ordered it from Tower Books in Sacramento, and when I went to pick it up, they couldn't find it. The clerk said she'd look for it as it was probably misfiled. She couldn't find it either. Having worked in retail myself I surmised the situation and went over and found it quickly in their Astronomy section. She said: "Oh - I was looking in Astrology." /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

I said: "Well, Astrology is BAD too, but this is an Astronomy book. It exposes Astrology though."

She looked at me as if I had said: "I eat monkey brains."

But at least they had it filed in Astronomy. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Great book!

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Mar-29, 08:25 PM
First, thanks.

Second, I rather expect to see it misfiled quite a bit. The bookstore here at Sonoma State University has a "how-to" book on astrology next to Sten Odenwald's "Astronomy Cafe". They said they ordered my book, but it's not in yet. I can't wait to see where it goes!

David Hall
2002-Mar-29, 10:21 PM
Actually, if you think about it, putting it in the astrology section just might not be such a bad idea. At least it's getting exposed to some of the people who need it the most. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

johnwitts
2002-Mar-29, 11:22 PM
I have a similar problem when looking is shops or libraries for Apollo stuff. It can be filed anywhere, from transport to history, astronomy or science. Nobody seems to know how to categorise space travel.

Lisa
2002-Mar-30, 03:35 AM
I went to Borders bookstore to look for books by James Randi. I looked in the science section, the psychology section, and the non-fiction section. I finally asked, and discovered he was filed under "Metaphysics", with Tarot and Astrology!
BA, he's your friend. You tell him.
Lisa

The Bad Astronomer
2002-Mar-30, 04:50 AM
Hmmmm, "acquaintance", not friend. I've never met him, though I hope to soon! Anyway, I just bet that's happened to him before. His books were in my old library next to UFO books, which I suppose is where they can do the most good, as has been pointed out.