PDA

View Full Version : Erm just a quicky [space wrapping back on self]

TomBurgessinspace,09
2009-Apr-01, 11:31 AM
Right this my first post so erm go easy on me but I like to get this argument with my pal sorted out i rekon if you go so far up into space you end up under the earth again i'm pretty smewere but he says it not true who the stupid one?

thinkin ov putting this in my stand up:

What sort of fighting do aliens do?

Martian Art lol

plz rate out of 10

see yuz thank in advance

Christoast
2009-Apr-01, 12:35 PM
You go in the up direction for forever, so no you don't end up at the bottom of the earth. There is no up or down in space by the way, every direction is the same as any other.

That joke: 2/10

haha, sorry.

rommel543
2009-Apr-01, 04:39 PM
Like Chris said there is no up and down. It's only relative to the location you are standing on the globe. When you go "up" you are simply moving away from them planet, there is no above or under (not taking solar axis into account).

antoniseb
2009-Apr-01, 05:01 PM
...What sort of fighting do aliens do? Martian Art...

As it stands, it's not much of a joke, however, you can dress it up a bit, and use it as a drop-in to a bigger story...

... he (I think he) had my briefcase, and my life depended on getting it back, so I walked up to him with my hand extended, as friendly as I could be. But as soon as I got close he lifted three of his arms and two legs with wrists bent just so, and gave me an intense stare. Right away I knew he was into Martian Arts, and getting that briefcase back would be no picnic...

You'll come up with something.

pzkpfw
2009-Apr-01, 07:43 PM
Is the whole "go far enough and come back on the other side" thing (Universe curved back on itself) that fully dismissed? Or just unknown/undecided yet?

DrRocket
2009-Apr-01, 09:52 PM
Is the whole "go far enough and come back on the other side" thing (Universe curved back on itself) that fully dismissed? Or just unknown/undecided yet?

So far as I know the large-scale curvature and the issue of a closed or open (compact or non-compact) structure is still up in the air. What is known is that the curvature is pretty small on a large scale, but that doesn't answer the basic question unless it is actually flat. Even then you need to know something about the allowable manifolds -- there are flat compact manifolds.

Jens
2009-Apr-02, 01:23 AM

I think probably the OP was thinking of that, or has heard somewhere that if you travel to the end of the universe you would curve back again. That may be true. The phrasing was funny, though. As others have pointed out, there is no such thing as "under the earth", since the earth doesn't have a top or bottom. Globes make it seem that way, but the OP might be happy to learn that people on the South Pole don't actually require sticky boots to keep them from falling off. :)

astromark
2009-Apr-02, 07:44 AM
SO, it would seem you are both right... and welcome...
If you go straight up and away from planet Earth. Thats it, away you go for billions of years... BUT, it is possible at some point in the far distant future you could end up near here again...

As for your joke... I'm amussed...5/10

'How do you make a Venetian blind.... poke him in the eye.'

no... 2/10

TomBurgessinspace,09
2009-Apr-11, 06:21 PM
Cheers for clearing that up i must have heard it wrong.

What about for the joke. i say What sort of fighting style do aliens to do as i'm setting up a skuwl?

Martian Art lol
Iz vat beta

Van Rijn
2009-Apr-11, 07:51 PM
As it stands, it's not much of a joke, however, you can dress it up a bit, and use it as a drop-in to a bigger story...

... he (I think he) had my briefcase, and my life depended on getting it back, so I walked up to him with my hand extended, as friendly as I could be. But as soon as I got close he lifted three of his arms and two legs with wrists bent just so, and gave me an intense stare. Right away I knew he was into Martian Arts, and getting that briefcase back would be no picnic...

You'll come up with something.

That sounds a lot like Venusian Aikido (http://moa.dracandros.com/Venusian_Aikido). (Doctor Who reference. Notice that in the Who universe, Venusians have six arms.)

grant hutchison
2009-Apr-11, 08:40 PM
Notice that in the Who universe, Venusians have six arms.Over here in the Why universe, we're puzzled by that. :)

Grant Hutchison

Middenrat
2009-Apr-12, 12:07 AM
Fred Dinage says 'Hi!' from the How? universe.

AndrewJ
2009-Apr-15, 10:41 PM
Fred Dinage says 'Hi!' from the How? universe.

Is that the same Fred Dineage who presented Meridian Tonight and was blatantly biased in favour of Portsmouth FC?

grant hutchison
2009-Apr-15, 10:51 PM
Is that the same Fred Dineage who presented Meridian Tonight and was blatantly biased in favour of Portsmouth FC?Fred Dinenage (pronounced DYNE-nage).
Yup. TV presenter for the old Southern TV kid's programme How?, and later for ITV Meridian.

Grant Hutchison

AndrewJ
2009-Apr-15, 10:56 PM
Fred Dinenage (pronounced DYNE-nage).
Yup. TV presenter for the old kid's programme How? and for Meridian TV.

Grant Hutchison

As an AFC Bournemouth fan I have hated Dinenage since he never even mentioned the Cherries winning the old third division in '86/'87 and, I understand, still spreads shameless pro-Pompey propaganda.

Noclevername
2009-Apr-17, 04:43 AM
There is no up or down in space by the way, every direction is the same as any other.

Not to nitpick (he says while doing just that) about a common but fundamentally inaccurate truism, but since up and down are relative to the nearest gravity source (And when you're in orbit, you're by definition near a gravity source) there can indeed be an up and down in space.

If it's relative, as it usually is, to the center of the Earth, everything in the Universe except Earth itself is "up". So, the orbiting ISS is up even if it happens at that moment to be on the far side of the world from you. Australians are "standing up" even if their heads are pointing away from mine. And to someone on Mars, Earth would be up, no matter where it is in the Solar system, relative to his reference point-- the center of his gravitational source.

Derailment over, move along folks, nothing to see here... ;)

Paul Beardsley
2009-Apr-17, 08:58 AM
Not to nitpick (he says while doing just that) about a common but fundamentally inaccurate truism, but since up and down are relative to the nearest gravity source (And when you're in orbit, you're by definition near a gravity source) there can indeed be an up and down in space.

If it's relative, as it usually is, to the center of the Earth, everything in the Universe except Earth itself is "up". So, the orbiting ISS is up even if it happens at that moment to be on the far side of the world from you. Australians are "standing up" even if their heads are pointing away from mine. And to someone on Mars, Earth would be up, no matter where it is in the Solar system, relative to his reference point-- the center of his gravitational source.

Derailment over, move along folks, nothing to see here... ;)

There's a nice moment in the (first) film version of Walter Tevis' novel The Man Who Fell To Earth where Newton (David Bowie) is asked where he comes from, and he points to the ground, because his world is not above the horizon.

Noclevername
2009-Apr-18, 10:41 PM
Right this my first post so erm go easy on me but I like to get this argument with my pal sorted out i rekon if you go so far up into space you end up under the earth again i'm pretty smewere but he says it not true who the stupid one?

If you go into orbit, then you do end up going around the other side the Earth.

If you mean "does space curve back around so that if you go infinitely far you come back to the starting point", well, no one actually knows. We have an inherent limit on how much of the universe we can see; during the beginning of the Universe, space expanded faster than light, leaving the light from parts of the Universe lagging behind, and today those are the only parts we can see. So no one knows what's beyond the limits of our visibility.