PDA

View Full Version : "Buzz Aldrin's Race to Space" Game

Silas
2002-Mar-29, 11:09 PM
There was a very nice little board game called "Race to Space." Elegant, playable, fun. It was adapted into a computer game with a celebrity endorsement, "Buzz Aldrin's Race to Space."

Unfortunately...the computer game was buggy, and, in fact, completely unplayable.

Does anyone know if anyone has ever thrown together a shareware version of the game that actually is playable and fun?

(Has anyone here ever played the board game version? Educational and, in the final years when you're actually running a moon mission, absolutely heartstopping.)

Silas

2002-Mar-30, 02:10 PM
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=160

Never played it myself, but I am downloading it now to check it out.

C

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cthulhu on 2002-03-30 09:13 ]</font>

Peter B
2002-Apr-02, 02:06 AM
Silas

I have both the boardgame and the computer game.

The boardgame was very enjoyable, though there were a few minor matters that the rules didn't cover. A real game for engineers I think. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

OTOH, I never got far with the computer game - I could never find a pair of astronauts who'd work together for long before one wanted to resign.

Vonstadt
2008-May-26, 12:52 PM
Actually I loved the board game, though lost it to a washer flood many years ago. I do stil have my CD Rom of the game and there were patches that let you work out some of the bugs and actually ge through a mission, which always tended to fail even at 99% accuracy.

I have to say when I even play it now its neat to plan and prepare and build and crew the missions.

Sorry if this is thread necromancy but I loved this game and wanted to just add my two cents. :)

LunarOrbit
2008-May-27, 01:47 PM
There is a really long thread at my forum about BARIS. There is at least one project to fix the bugs and re-release the old game, and also one or two remakes in the works.

Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space (http://www.thespacerace.com/forum/index.php?topic=64.0)

KaiYeves
2008-May-27, 07:24 PM
Sounds like fun.

publiusr
2008-Jun-30, 09:21 PM
Interesting link here...
http://www.thespacerace.com/forum/index.php?topic=2481.0

Maha Vailo
2008-Jul-01, 12:33 AM
Are you sure you posted the right link there, publiusr? The thread you linked to is about someone's ATM propulsion system, not Race to Space.

Personally, I'd love to see a reprint of the Race to Space boardgame, only updated for the 21st century.

- Maha Vailo

Demigrog
2009-Jul-07, 06:03 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I recently ran across a free version (http://sourceforge.net/projects/raceintospace/) of this old game updated to run in Windows. Works fine on my XP and Vista boxes.

I've now gone five days with 12 hours sleep total, and made it to the moon with both US and USSR hardware (historical, US; direct ascent, USSR). Of course, I "cheated" and loaded my save game after a few inexplicable (ie 98% safety factor!) launchpad explosions... this game is frustrating! I wonder how Buzz Aldrin could stand to put his name on a game where he suffers "virtual death" so often. I suppose it is realistic though; I didn't suffer any more casualties than the real Apollo program, though if the real Saturn V blew up as often as mine in the game I don't think we'd ever have made it to the moon.

Fazor
2009-Jul-07, 06:07 PM
Ah, I remember this game. Came with our first computer. We use to love it. As I recall, it even had one of those long extinct paper-wheel anti-piracy decoders. (or was it just a "What's the first word on page X of the manual deals? Can't recall)

Demigrog
2009-Jul-07, 06:17 PM
Ah, I remember this game. Came with our first computer. We use to love it. As I recall, it even had one of those long extinct paper-wheel anti-piracy decoders. (or was it just a "What's the first word on page X of the manual deals? Can't recall)

The original did, but the authors made it GPL freeware a few years ago so we don't have to deal with it anymore. The new build doesn't have the anti-piracy check, and fixes several very annoying bugs from the original. Plus, it has the extended artwork and videos from the CD-ROM version. :)

KaiYeves
2009-Jul-07, 10:28 PM
It's funny, long before I knew this game existed, I had this whole conversation with somebody along the lines of "Wouldn't it be cool if there was a game like that?"

Demigrog
2009-Jul-13, 05:24 PM
It's funny, long before I knew this game existed, I had this whole conversation with somebody along the lines of "Wouldn't it be cool if there was a game like that?"

Yes, this game is pretty cool (once you get past the frustration of almost certain fatal accidents). Last night I made it to the moon with Gemini hardware. :) I think everyone should play a few times in honor of the Apollo anniversary.

It is amusing to play as the USSR; the "news reports" are sometimes hilariously sarcastic. I lose a lot of cosmonauts to "Retirement in Siberia", and had a number of top administrators executed for "waste and corruption". Makes me wonder two things: how many cosmonauts did wind up in Siberia, and would the Soviet media have reported anything at all, even an obviously bogus cover story? I have my google assignment for the evening. :)

Tuckerfan
2009-Jul-13, 09:21 PM
Want to go to the Moon? There's an app for that. (http://www.apptism.com/apps/apollo-11-the-game)

Forty years ago, the first man landed on the moon. Now relive the epic adventure on your iPhone with Apollo 11: The Game – created in collaboration with NASA. Take a trip to the moon and find yourself in the seat of one of the greatest events in the history of mankind.

Using the unique iPhone specific controls, take command of various mission vehicles, such as the flying bedstead, command module and lunar module, recreated with care in 3D.

---------------------------

Features:

- The only Apollo Mission iPhone game created in collaboration with NASA:cool:

Nawshad007
2013-Dec-14, 03:44 PM
I am also a space game lover. I am trying to pass my idle time with space RTS game. At the moment I am researching about upcoming space RTS game. I discover that space game is returning again. I found many space games project is under development like Star Quest 2. Kickstarter is a good source for this type of information.

publiusr
2013-Dec-23, 04:47 PM
Chief Designer dies on the table, roll back three spaces...
Drat!!!