PDA

View Full Version : Warp Drives Probably Impossible After All

Fraser
2009-Apr-03, 10:50 PM
Just when I was getting excited about the possibility of travelling to distant worlds, scientists have uncovered a deep flaw with faster-than-light-speed travel. There appears to be a quantum limit on how fast an object can travel through space-time, regardless of whether we are able to create a bubble in space-time or not… (...)Read the rest [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2009/04/03/warp-drives-probably-impossible-after-all/)

GOURDHEAD
2009-Apr-04, 02:51 AM
Luckily I had already dismissed warp drives as artifacts of fantasy along with parallel universes (mutually exclusive domains) and Hawkin radiation.

undidly
2009-Apr-04, 02:59 AM
Just when I was getting excited about the possibility of travelling to distant worlds, scientists have uncovered a deep flaw with faster-than-light-speed travel. There appears to be a quantum limit on how fast an object can travel through space-time, regardless of whether we are able to create a bubble in space-time or notů (...)Read the rest [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2009/04/03/warp-drives-probably-impossible-after-all/)

I agree.Matter cannot exceed the speed of light because there is not enough energy to accelerate it to that speed.
However I see no problem with FTL communications.
Yeah I know Einstein said not but he did not say WHY.

Chip
2009-Apr-04, 08:33 PM
Of course, there's nothing in physics to stop us from slowly, gradually expanding robotic and human exploration and traveling into the solar system and even out into deeper space beyond, over many thousands of years.

Trakar
2009-Apr-04, 09:35 PM
Of course, there's nothing in physics to stop us from slowly, gradually expanding robotic and human exploration and traveling into the solar system and even out into deeper space beyond, over many thousands of years.

Probably a good thing!

Trakar
2009-Apr-04, 09:45 PM
However, if you wanted to create a space-time bubble for subluminal (less-than light speed) travel, no horizons form, and therefore no Hawking radiation is generated. In this case, you might not be beating the speed of light, but you do have a fast, and stable way of getting around the Universe. Unfortunately we still need “exotic” matter to create the space-time bubble in the first place…

So exactly what benefits are there to subluminal warp drive? Inertial-less? Would this warpage protect the vessel from particulate, or radiative dangers of near relativistic or relativistic travel? Problems understood, but even a few of these aspects might make the technology worth additional consideration/dreaming about.

trinitree88
2009-Apr-05, 04:03 PM
Fraser. There's a corollary there, isn't there?. If you can't exceed the speed of light due to SR considerations,:shifty: you can't get a black hole either, because crossing the inevitable event horizon would do the same. :shifty: pete

galacsi
2009-Apr-05, 08:11 PM
Luckily I had already dismissed warp drives as artifacts of fantasy along with parallel universes (mutually exclusive domains) and Hawkin radiation.

LOL : You know Hawking radiation is supposed to save us when the LHC restart ! THis is very bad news ! The only thing than can save us is that , may be , black holes does not exist any more !