PDA

View Full Version : What melodies do your local ice cream trucks play?

Lord Jubjub
2009-Apr-05, 01:31 AM
There is a rather annoying truck outside right now, playing "The Old Gray Goose is Dead". Other trucks that come by play other melodies:

The Entertainer (Scott Joplin)
Turkey in the Straw
Music Box Dancer (Frank Mills)

I'm thinking of posting a set of polls to find the most common melody played by these entrepreneurs. So, what music do you hear from these gypsies?

2009-Apr-05, 01:44 AM
Home on the Range

GeorgeLeRoyTirebiter
2009-Apr-05, 03:20 AM
Where I am the ice cream trucks now mostly play Turkey in the Straw or The Entertainer, but when I was a kid they played The Fairlane March, a bit of music so obscure that Google can't find any mention of it. I only know its name because I played it in middle-school band (it was in a book of marches that appeared to be older than the school itself).

Of course, to my sister and I, it will always be The Ice Cream Truck Song. All others are poor substitutes.

novaderrik
2009-Apr-05, 06:21 AM
i don't think i've ever seen an ice cream truck outside of tv and the movies.

WaxRubiks
2009-Apr-05, 08:17 AM
Blue Danube, around here most often.

Gillianren
2009-Apr-05, 09:27 AM
Back home, it was always "The Entertainer." I don't remember an ice cream truck in Port Angeles, when I was living there--or more accurately, I do, but I don't remember what it played--and there definitely weren't any in the neighbourhoods I lived in during my stay in Tacoma. But there's one in the area here which apparently plays from a random list of public domain favourites--it's a bold ice cream truck-driver who plays "Jingle Bells," is all I'm saying.

Romanus
2009-Apr-05, 02:54 PM
"Do Your Ears Hang Low?"

Weep for me.

Tobin Dax
2009-Apr-05, 03:27 PM
"Do Your Ears Hang Low?"

Weep for me.

That's "Turkey in the Straw," isn't it?

Fazor
2009-Apr-05, 03:28 PM
The Entertainer, that's the only thing they play.

jokergirl
2009-Apr-05, 04:33 PM
All the icecream trucks in Sweden play the same, very annoying, melody. I don't know what it's called, but I found it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2GGIVWBIT4

I'm completely new to the phenomenon as we don't have them in Austria where I come from. But the melody started to grind on my nerves after just a few times.

;)

Sticks
2009-Apr-05, 04:54 PM
Don't they play the music to inform the children that they have run out of ice cream. Well that's what we were told :shifty:

tdvance
2009-Apr-05, 05:21 PM
All the icecream trucks in Sweden play the same, very annoying, melody. I don't know what it's called, but I found it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2GGIVWBIT4

I'm completely new to the phenomenon as we don't have them in Austria where I come from. But the melody started to grind on my nerves after just a few times.

;)

Someone did an amateur job looping it! I expect it's the ice cream truck version that's looped badly, not the You-tube recording, but don't know for sure.

jokergirl
2009-Apr-05, 06:24 PM
It loops? It's just 4 bars... played over and over. Argh.

Graybeard6
2009-Apr-05, 08:55 PM
We don't have ice cream trucks. Isn't that sad?
When we lived where we did have them, it was usually "Turkey in the Straw."

Chuck
2009-Apr-05, 10:17 PM
Near Phoenix, Arizona:

Mexican Hat Dance
La Cucaracha

redshifter
2009-Apr-05, 10:30 PM
I've heard both "The Entertainer" and "La Cucaracha" around here.

Gillianren
2009-Apr-06, 12:20 AM
That's "Turkey in the Straw," isn't it?

Yes, it is. Weep for me--I had a roommate who used to sing it. The "Turkey in the Straw" lyrics, I mean. She was an odd roommate.

Graybeard6
2009-Apr-06, 04:35 AM
"Turkey in the Straw" is a tune that's really easy to write lyrics for. As in;
I had a little chick
And she wouldn't lay eggs.
So I poured hot water
Up and down her legs
Oh, that little chick hollered
And that little chick begged
And that little chick layed me
A hard boiled egg.

When I was producing TV commercials, I would usually mentally write a jingle. I never used them, but they let me focus on the concept I wanted. Also my videographer and artist usually got a kick out of them. One I remember for a small town bank that was wasting its money on TV commercials. Again, "TITS".
They's a little ol' bank
On a country road
Where the farmers bring their money
By the wagon load
If you lose yore money
It ain't our fault
'Cause we'll keep yore money
In a great big vault.

Nicolas
2009-Apr-06, 07:33 AM
Mr Sandman.

And all icecream vans seem to have a beautifully complex sound system that can't play two same consecutive notes without making them sound as one double length note (they can't enter a pause between them).

tofu
2009-Apr-06, 01:39 PM
La Cucaracha

yeah, I don't think I'd buy ice cream from that one.

Swift
2009-Apr-06, 01:42 PM
Steven Wright in his stand-up routine says "the ice cream truck in my neighborhood played Helter Skelter".

captain swoop
2009-Apr-06, 01:50 PM
Greensleeves round here.

mugaliens
2009-Apr-06, 02:32 PM
Take Me Out to the Ball Game

pumpkinpie
2009-Apr-06, 02:42 PM
Turkey in the Straw. But that was an ice cream truck that would only come out after 10 pm, in a somewhat sketchy area of Baltimore, and wouldn't stop for children.....

raptorthang
2009-Apr-06, 02:57 PM
In Calgary when I was under 4 ft tall it was the theme to 'the Forest Rangers' which was also my favorite TV show. One of those kids shows in which they lived in a rustic fort in the wilderness, hiked, fished, rode horses, and hung out with the Mountie either rescuing someone or solving a crime each week. Best of all, they never went to school.

The connection to ice cream? No idea. Perhaps the lure of no school and ice cram was too much for any kid to resist. All us kids use to follow the ice cream truck around as if it was the Pied Piper .

Roving Philosopher
2009-Apr-06, 03:40 PM
It's still too cold here for the ice cream trucks to be out, but we've had one in the past that basically rang a school bell. I'd take any music over that!

NEOWatcher
2009-Apr-06, 04:42 PM
It's still too cold here for the ice cream trucks to be out...
Here too, but they started last week. We should be getting about a half a foot of snow over the next few days. It'll be interesting to see if he comes around today.

Entertainer.

pghnative
2009-Apr-06, 05:26 PM
Growing up in the Pittsburgh suburbs in the ~ late 70s and 80s, the Good Humor truck always simply had jangling bells.

Nowadays, at least in NJ I mostly hear "Turkey in the Straw". (unlike Graybeard6, I think I'll refrain from shortening the title --- surprised the board filter didn't catch that...) Though the ice cream trucks at the beach are usually silent --- the driver will walk to the top of the dune and ring a single bell to attract customers.

Personally, I can't stand the looped music. Maybe I'm just nostalgic for the jangling bells of my youth.

Sticks
2009-Apr-06, 05:51 PM
At least the looped music let's you know the ice cream van has sold out of ice cream so you do not need to go outside - Well that's what they told us the music meant.(And yes I have ToSeeked myself)

Donnie B.
2009-Apr-06, 05:54 PM
"It's A Small Small World" (from the musical Annie).

And ditto those who have mentioned the horrific audio quality -- roughly 99% THD, it seems. I don't know if it's the lousy speaker or the driver just tries to crank it up too loud, but it's teeth-gratingly awful.

Loved those trucks as a kid, though. Popsicles! Ice cream sandwiches! Makes me nostalgic for long-ago summers.

Donnie B.
2009-Apr-06, 05:56 PM
At least the looped music let's you know the ice cream van has sold out of ice cream so you do not need to go outside - Well that's what they told us the music meant.(And yes I have ToSeeked myself)
Sticks, you had cruel, cruel parents. That's not at all what the music means, at least around here. If they were really out of ice cream, why would they still be driving around?

Or were you just making a subtle joke, twice?

Sticks
2009-Apr-06, 06:00 PM
Apparently it is listed as one of the top five lies parents tell their children

tlbs101
2009-Apr-06, 10:55 PM
Don't they play the music to inform the children that they have run out of ice cream. Well that's what we were told :shifty:
Poor Sticks! ... with a childhood deprived of delicious frozen treats from the street vendors.
:(

The only truck(s) that runs on my street in Albuquerque plays, "Turkey in the Straw".

mahesh
2009-Apr-07, 11:08 AM
It's mostly Green Sleeves.
and which reminds me of John Renbourn's beautiful music
If they play anything else, I don't recognise that as an icecream vendor.

slang
2009-Apr-07, 11:22 AM
Never seen an ice cream truck here, not in the sense of driving around and stopping for customers. Unless I'm mistaken they must have a permit, which is for a certain location. We do have fried fish trucks though, that drive fixed (i believe) routes. No music, some use a bell to announce their arrival, others yell through a megaphone sound system thingy.

pghnative
2009-Apr-07, 02:57 PM
We do have fried fish trucks though, mmmmmm, fried fish.

With "chips" (that is, "fries", or "fried potatoes")?

slang
2009-Apr-07, 04:35 PM
mmmmmm, fried fish.

With "chips" (that is, "fries", or "fried potatoes")?

Nope, just fish stuff. Several kinds of filets, with a flour crust or not, several sauces and/or spices, or a dish called "kibbeling", which is small egg and flour coated chunks of cod, deep fried.

Paul Beardsley
2009-Apr-07, 05:25 PM
Not a melody as such, more a "high-low-high-low" wail.

I've never bought an ice cream from one because they go so fast! And they're allowed to go through red lights.

I've no idea what the ladders are for.

peteshimmon
2009-Apr-07, 05:28 PM
Ah yes, the sound of Ice Cream jingles wafting
through the window in an urban area on a
sunny day. Seems to rub it in you are stuck
indoors! It was Teddy Bears Picnic just now.

I have heard Greensleeves much though in the
past. And others. Must be a website listing
what is available somewhere.

Truck sounds a bit unhygienic to me, always
vans here. Fish and Chips with Ice Cream?
Now there is a new selling idea.

Lord Jubjub
2009-Apr-07, 10:49 PM
I think I have heard Greensleeves on rare occasion. I just wish they would loop more than the opening phrase on any of the songs. The Entertainer stops being entertaining after hearing the first few bars a dozen times in a row.

mahesh
2009-Apr-08, 03:24 AM
Yes, of course, peteshimmon / Lord Jubjub....
I meant Greensleeves....
Rosie is always good at distracting me....bless her cottons....

Fish and Chips???
I wonder if that would or should be allowed? Isn't it dangerous, carrying all that hot oil and stuff around?
In the vicinity of children too?

slang
2009-Apr-08, 07:20 AM
I wonder if that would or should be allowed? Isn't it dangerous, carrying all that hot oil and stuff around?
In the vicinity of children too?

Kids are a whole lot more likely to be hit and injured by any vehicle, even bicycles, than the remote possibility that the van might topple and gush hot oil over anyone. I never looked all that closely (but I will now!) but I assume they are pretty spill-proof, at least when driving with reasonable speeds. They do stop before any actual cooking is done :)

mahesh
2009-Apr-08, 07:52 AM
Har har slang!
I wouldn't have expected the guys to be cooking in motion....
but you know what I mean.

Murphy's Law can be pretty active sometimes.

I realise, burgers and hot dogs and things are cooked / sold in vans....
Oh Hemingway, and his Movable Feast! on the backburner....

but carrying hot oil around?....
obviously, the enterprising chaps who are doing this in Holland, aren't flouting any Dutch laws, 'safety' and otherwise....otherwise they wouldn't be able to run their show...

well I am just curious...at what stage is the cooking done? and the resulting hot oil stored away 'safely'?

Salty
2009-Apr-08, 05:40 PM
Well, I've heard "She'll be Coming Around the Mountain" and another. I can't quite recall the other.

sarongsong
2009-Apr-09, 07:01 AM
They don't come here anymore, but if they did...
1951 Cushman Ice Cream Cart (http://www.sportscarmarket.com/Profiles/2008/5/American) :)

Tobin Dax
2009-Apr-13, 10:26 PM
I just heard the local ice cream truck, and went outside to listen to the tune it was playing. Unfortunately, I have no idea what is was. The tune was nothing I recognize, though it was pleasant.

Donnie B.
2009-Apr-13, 10:50 PM
I just heard the local ice cream truck, and went outside to listen to the tune it was playing. Unfortunately, I have no idea what is was. The tune was nothing I recognize, though it was pleasant.
Well, you could hum it to us; maybe we'll recognize it.

Lord Jubjub
2009-Apr-13, 11:49 PM
Just heard a truck come past myself. Must be a new one because it was playing melodies I hadn't heard around here. It was rotating three melodies: Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star; O When the Saints; and Old McDonald.

Tobin Dax
2009-Apr-13, 11:53 PM
Well, you could hum it to us; maybe we'll recognize it.
I've forgotten what it was by now.

Lord Jubjub
2009-Apr-16, 12:25 AM
That ice cream truck I mentioned just above? It's back and it must have an iPod.

So far in addition to the previous:
a couple of melodies I don't recognize
The Drunken Sailor
We Wish You a Merry Christmas ????
Deck the Halls ?!?!?!
Jingle Bells
Silent Night
O Tannenbaum

This guy has obviously decided for a Christmas in April theme

another song I don't recognize
Home on the Range
Little Brown Jug
Yellow Rose of Texas
another song I don't recognize (sounds French folk, though)
BINGO
and he fades out of hearing with another song I don't recognize.

Donnie B.
2009-Apr-16, 01:25 AM
At least you get some variety. The trucks around here (actually, they haven't started their rounds yet this year) play the same short tune over and over. They seem to change it up every five years or so.

Gillianren
2009-Apr-16, 02:47 AM
Your lordship, I think your ice cream trucks and the guy around here must be getting their music from the same people. I think ours plays "It's a Small World," too, which is almost certainly copyright violation. (You'll notice the other songs mentioned are public domain.)

Lord Jubjub
2009-Apr-17, 12:10 AM
The iPod guy is the only one with variety. As I said in the OP, most of the trucks drive me crazy with the same few bars over and over again. I think the iPod guy plays Small World, too. (now that I think about it, it may have been one of those unrecognized songs).

raptorthang
2009-Apr-17, 12:39 AM
If I had an ice cream truck I'd crank out something like Iron Butterfly's 'in a Gadda da vida'....to get the Grandparents in the mood and follow up with Billy Idol's 'Rebel Yell' for the parents...then back to 'It's a Small World'.

Get all the generations lined up for soft ice cream with sprinkles on top,

Fendercaster
2009-Apr-18, 04:31 PM
The local ice cream truck made its first appearance here yesterday afternoon. It was playing "Turkey in the Straw". Seems like that's been the tune of choice for years.