PDA

View Full Version : Seeing Stars in Space

jrkeller
2002-Mar-30, 05:13 AM
Tonight at Space Center Houston, I had the chance to see the STS-109 crew talk about their Hubble servicing mission. After their talk, they took questions from the audience. One kid asked about seeing other planets from orbit. John Grunsfled, an astronomer answered the question. He said that it was very easy to see the stars from the shuttle and that the planet Jupiter was quite bright. One of his colleagues also made the comment that they were so busy that they hardly had time to view the scenery.

After the presentation, I spend a minute or so talking to John Grunsfeld. He said that he could even see the Large Magellenic Cloud.

So I guess the hoaxers idea that the Challenger was blown up to keep Christa McAuliffe from saying you could see stars from space is wrong. The crew of the latest Shuttle Mission is still with us.

The Rusty Lander
2002-Mar-30, 05:32 AM
If Christa McAuliffe was not going to "co-operate" wouldn't it have been easier simply to replace her from the huge array of candidates available, or simply pick someone else in the first place? Then, if she was still going to cause trouble and spill the beans about why she was refused the flight seat, the CIA could quietly dispose of her with a convenient heart attack or some such ilk as is their usual mode of operation.

The Incubus
2002-Mar-30, 12:02 PM
On 2002-03-30 00:32, The Rusty Lander wrote:
If Christa McAuliffe was not going to "co-operate" wouldn't it have been easier simply to replace her from the huge array of candidates available, or simply pick someone else in the first place?

Yes, that would be easy for the government to do, but it probably wouldn't be sinister enough to satisfy the conspiracy theorists. Besides, as the theorists believe, NASA doesn't work that simply. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
The (Oops, I broke a nail, must be a government conspiracy against me) Incubus

JayUtah
2002-Mar-30, 02:41 PM
Happily I don't have any experience killing people to cover up things. But if that were suddenly made my job, I certainly would not blow up a pesky astronaut along with six other people in a $2 billion orbiter on live television. As I said, I don't have any experience in this, but common sense seems to dictate that such things should be done so as to attract as little attention as possible to them.

I get a little nervous when debunkers state unequivocally that you can't see stars from orbit or from the moon. Especially since hoax believers tend to see everything in black and white (pun intended). You can see stars under the right conditions. You can see stars from the moon under the right conditions. It's simply that the right conditions are rarely met.

I've seen literally thousands of photographs taken in orbit or elsewhere in space. In only two of them have I seen stars, and that was because the exposure time was purposely elongated for other reasons. In all the other cases the photo was of something considerably brighter than the stars (e.g., a sunlit piece of space hardware) and the photographer wanted to properly expose that, not the stars.

Scrunch your face up against a shuttle window facing away from earth (or wait until you're on the night side), cup your hands around your face to block out the cabin lights (or simply turn them off) and I'd be very surprised if you couldn't see lots of stars.

But I have to agree; if I'm stuck out on the end of the manipulator with my head in the bowels of a recalcitrant satellite and thirty-two pages of checklist left to go, I'm probably not going to pay much attention to Rigel or Jupiter.

JayUtah
2002-Mar-30, 02:48 PM
If Christa McAuliffe was not going to "co-operate" wouldn't it have been easier simply to replace her from the huge array of candidates available, or simply pick someone else in the first place?

Or simply not pick anyone at all. Nothing in the rule book says you have to have a Teacher In Space program. At some point someone in NASA could have quashed that and saved everyone the trouble.

As I said, I'm not a professional conspirator, but it seems the safer way to carry out a conspiracy is to make sure it doesn't have to come to murder. Murder, or even "merely suspicious" death, attracts attention and attention is not something conspiracies want to attract.