PDA

View Full Version : Finals

Pi Man
2003-Dec-17, 01:31 AM
This being finals week, I thought it would be a good time to post a thread to boast about how well you did on a final, commiserate about how poorly you did on a final, complain about how stinking hard that stupid teacher made that dad-gum test, (edited for language... :D), explain why you didn't have to take one test or another, or even comment on last semester and what you plan to (or want to, or whish you could) do next semester.

I'll start.

This semester, I took Calculus I. I was getting 12/15's and 13/15's on the tests (B's and C's), although I was doing much better on the homework. The last test I took, though, was a 9/15. I was really bummed about that, and the professor asked me to come to his office after class. I went to his office, and he said, "Well, I can tell that you understand the material. You apply the concepts correctly, you just make stupid mistakes because you're trying to finish before the time runs out, so I'm going to give you an A. Don't show up for the final, and you don't have to come back to class."

And, the really good news is: it's a 5 credit hour class!!!!!!

siriusastronomer
2003-Dec-17, 01:37 AM
:o =D> NOT FAIR But =D> anyway....
i wish my chem teacher would do that for me (heck, i wish ALL my teachers would do that for me!)
about the poll...is it just for college students? or can high school kids either taking college credit classes or doing dual enrollment vote too? (its pretty much guaranteed we're going to be >12 though, i know where i get credit from they don't allow high school students to take more than 12 hours/semester and that's only if you're like a genius child)

Kebsis
2003-Dec-17, 01:58 AM
I took 15 credits, and didn't do too well in any of them. I'm gonna be leaving college for about a year to go work in the ILA (dockworkers union), and to try and decide once and for all what the hell I want to major in #-o

Humphrey
2003-Dec-17, 02:11 AM
12 creditd, but 9 of them are in hard classes. Finals tomorrow and thursday.

Andromeda321
2003-Dec-17, 02:15 AM
One more year until college but I've got 3 APs (Physics, Calc, and British Lit) and I took AP Chem last year (school has a rule that you can't take more then that). My last final (a non-AP) is tomorrow! \:D/

tuffel999
2003-Dec-17, 02:32 AM
So I am a grad student who for some reason decided to take classes again #-o

I had 12 hrs in 2 classes and 2 pass/fail 1 hour classes. However, I had 25-30 hours of lab work each week that is technically a class...........so where is the 44 hour option. Sigh...........no life for me it seems for another few years.

Pi Man
2003-Dec-17, 02:33 AM
:o =D> NOT FAIR But =D> anyway....
i wish my chem teacher would do that for me (heck, i wish ALL my teachers would do that for me!)
about the poll...is it just for college students? or can high school kids either taking college credit classes or doing dual enrollment vote too? (its pretty much guaranteed we're going to be >12 though, i know where i get credit from they don't allow high school students to take more than 12 hours/semester and that's only if you're like a genius child)

Sure! Go ahead and vote!

I took 6 credit hours of classes dual-enrolled too. :D

Charlie in Dayton
2003-Dec-17, 04:49 AM
Ah yes...college daze...

While it has been a few years back, I was taking 15-17 hours a quarter and working 20+ hours a week in the computer lab (luckily, I majored in Computer Support Services). I fiddled my schedule around, putting off a class a quarter to take during the summer session (English 113 in five weeks...brrrr) -- this also gave me enough hours in class to be considered a full time student, which kept me my job...

Mac's computer hardware class was darn near a phone-in (or so it seemed)...the final turned out to be, we had to identify twenty or so pieces of internal hardware (boards, processors, etc) by sight, and give a coherent explanation of what it was and what it did. I got into the class early, and was helping Mac set things up (with a little dinkin' around, we got the overhead projector to turn into an opaque projector). I got to be the one who brought the parts up to the projector and kept track of what had and hadn't been up. Of course, that meant that I helped Mac set up the display to start with, and he was quizzing me about what this was and what that was...I wasn't even thinking, just looking at a part and ripping off some sort of explanation...

The topper to the whole thing was, we all thought this was a quiz or a finals brush-up. I never even turned in a paper with my explanations on it. But the next week, we all turned up honed to a caffeine-ground razor's edge ready for the final exam...and Mac said "Final exam? That's what you did last week. Your grades will be on the website in the morning. Hope ya liked the class, and good luck...".

One of the easiest classes I ever took -- and what I learned in there jibed with at least two other classes he was teaching. Mental light bulbs were popping on all over that lab...

Normandy6644
2003-Dec-17, 03:19 PM
I took 18 credit hours, and they were all "legitimate" classes, no golf or history of movie villains. I didn't mean to, I just wanted to take 5 classes and it turned out to be 18 credits. Next semester it's still 5 classes, but only 15 credits. Oh well. I just space them out nicely and have tons of breaks in between to finish my homework!

bbtuna
2003-Dec-17, 05:24 PM
I took 11. All 5000 and above courses and worked in a lab 20+ hours a week. All is usually fine until the experiment breaks, doesn't work for some mysterious reason, or the oil filter on my car just falls off (totally intact, mind you, and no evidence of leaks).

tuffel999
2003-Dec-17, 05:40 PM
I took 11. All 5000 and above courses and worked in a lab 20+ hours a week. All is usually fine until the experiment breaks, doesn't work for some mysterious reason, or the oil filter on my car just falls off (totally intact, mind you, and no evidence of leaks).

Sounds like the oil filter was stripped. For anyone around that must have been really funny, not for you of course.

Mr. X
2003-Dec-17, 06:52 PM
What are "credit hours"? I'm not familiar with what that means even if I am in college? Is it the credits or the hours of class per week?

SciFi Chick
2003-Dec-17, 07:06 PM
What are "credit hours"? I'm not familiar with what that means even if I am in college? Is it the credits or the hours of class per week?

It's the credits.

As for me, I'm not currently in school, cause I had to take a break due to lack of funds. However, my first two years, I took between 12 and 14 credits while working full time. And, I got a 4.0. I must confess that I was surprised to discover college was much less challenging than I had been led to believe.

Of course, since I'm switching from English to Physics, talk to me next year about this subject. 8-[ :o

tuffel999
2003-Dec-17, 07:26 PM

A bunch of crap if you ask me. I was a science major, obviously, and lab classes were 3 hours for the course and 1 hour for th lab. The class got 3 hours because it meet 3 times a week for 1 hour. The lab met once a week for 4 hours, and what the **** I only got an hour credit for it. SO my 15 hour semsester with 3 lab classes was a lot worse than the non science majors. I so wanted to punch business majors who complained about their "heavy 15hr load". They didn't know what heavy was. Or the education majors who couldn't believe that when they took a science class they would have a lab to go with it. Sheesh.

SciFi Chick
2003-Dec-17, 07:29 PM
A bunch of crap if you ask me. I was a science major, obviously, and lab classes were 3 hours for the course and 1 hour for th lab. The class got 3 hours because it meet 3 times a week for 1 hour. The lab met once a week for 4 hours, what the **** and I only got an hour for it. SO my 15 hour semsester with 3 lab classes was a lot worse than the non science majors. I so wanted to punch business majors who complained about their "heavy 15hr load". They didn't know what heavy was. Or the education majors who couldn't believe that when they took a science class they would have a lab to go with it. Sheesh.

I am with you 100%. And what is with non-science majors that graduate with honors getting the same amount of honor as science majors? It's really ridiculous. Now, I'm a writer, and I'm not knocking the liberal arts, but come on. How hard is it to read and write, which is essentially all there is to English classes? I am really looking forward to the challenge of a heavy science / math load, and I'm grateful that I won't have to work full time when I do it. Also, I'd like to point out that I have never complained about having a heavy load and I used to think my fellow classmates were nuts when they did. :D

Mr. X
2003-Dec-17, 07:33 PM
I still don't get it. Totally different systems.

I have about 16 credits that amount to 24 hours of classes per week.

tuffel999
2003-Dec-17, 07:49 PM
I still don't get it. Totally different systems.

I have about 16 credits that amount to 24 hours of classes per week.

That was the point. Credit hour's is bull. Either you get credit for all the hours you are there or you get a set number of credits for classes based on how hard they are, you don't mix the two freaking things like so many schools do.

bbtuna
2003-Dec-17, 09:11 PM
Sounds like the oil filter was stripped. For anyone around that must have been really funny, not for you of course.

I went back and found the filter on the side of the freeway and the threads were totally intact. THere was no sign of damage at all. Still can't figure out why it happened.

tuffel999
2003-Dec-17, 09:15 PM

I went back and found the filter on the side of the freeway and the threads were totally intact. THere was no sign of damage at all. Still can't figure out why it happened.

Freaky.........and the car was ok?

If you dropped the filter while running on the highway you would have lost a lot of oil very quickly.

Gmann
2003-Dec-18, 05:46 PM
Did you change the oil yourself? if so, tighten the filter hand tight +1/4 turn.

If you had it done at a shop, go back and read them the "riot act", you could have very easily destroyed the engine in your car, very expensive to fix.

I recently had work done at my local Ford dealer, they did an oil change as part of what I had done to my van. I went to Chicago that weekend, and discovered a loose filter and the oil 2qts. low when I got to my brothers house. Needless to say, the service manager at that dealership got an earfull when I got home.

bbtuna
2003-Dec-18, 06:04 PM
The car was fine, just covered in oil. My hubby had just changed the oil a week before, but not the filter. That was replaced about four monthes earlier by a shop down the street. We made sure the new filter was TIGHT when we replaced it. I heard a loud pop and thought I had just run over a rock or something. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw something go bouncing down the freeway. Then my oil light came on. I was lucky I had just merged on the freeway and was not far from home and in Detroit where i go to school. The terrible thing was, I had to drive about a quarter mile to get to a good spot on the freeway. I didn't want to be against a wall or in between merging traffic and the freeway. I IMMEDIATLY turned the car off and popped the hood. Everything looked fine, then I remembered the oil light. I looked and the oil filter was GONE! Like I said, I went back and found it and the only things wrong with it were a couple of dents and the gasket was missing, probably from bouncing down I-94. Strangest thing they've heard according to just about everybody I tell. All in all it was an easy fix, I could have done it myself if I had a new filter and oil in my trunk.

My first hijacked thread :D. And now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

tuffel999
2003-Dec-18, 07:36 PM
Yeah I would count that as about hte oddest thing I have heard. Although I did snap 2 rocker arm studs on I-85 one day. That was hoot changing them on the side ofthe road. Tapping out studs by hand is no fun but at least I keep a parts store in my trunk ;-)

BlueAnodizeAl
2003-Dec-18, 07:40 PM
Finals are done! One week ago! I'm still waiting for the grades though, should find out at midnight tonight, I'll post them then.

I know I got a 104% in high speed aerodynamics, reputed to be the hardest class in our dergee program despite the 30 points of extra credit! I just wish I could apply the 14% to other classes where the A is not quite as solid.

Pi Man
2003-Dec-18, 08:37 PM
That was the point. Credit hour's is bull. Either you get credit for all the hours you are there or you get a set number of credits for classes based on how hard they are, you don't mix the two freaking things like so many schools do.

Yeah.... I have to agree. This semester, I took an applied violin class, and an applied piano class (basically private lessons at college level) and put in about 5 hours a week (which, btw, was a lot less than my teacher wanted) and got 1 credit for it.... Next semester: None of that...

Humphrey
2003-Dec-18, 10:52 PM
P.O.S. crud tests. My ffianls today were abismally hard. arrggg....

Well i am done with my un dergraduate vcarrer. i graduate saturday.

BlueAnodizeAl
2003-Dec-18, 11:05 PM
P.O.S. crud tests. My ffianls today were abismally hard. arrggg....

Well i am done with my un dergraduate vcarrer. i graduate saturday.

congrats!!! wish I were there... I'm working on FINAL semester of my five year college career...although the internships have been amazing!

Humphrey
2003-Dec-18, 11:14 PM
Wow. i just noticed all of the errors in that post. I am going to leave them in there just to show how tired and exausted i am after 2 hours sleep and that pair of back to back killer exams.

jkmccrann
2005-Dec-06, 09:31 AM
A bunch of crap if you ask me. I was a science major, obviously, and lab classes were 3 hours for the course and 1 hour for th lab. The class got 3 hours because it meet 3 times a week for 1 hour. The lab met once a week for 4 hours, and what the **** I only got an hour credit for it. SO my 15 hour semsester with 3 lab classes was a lot worse than the non science majors. I so wanted to punch business majors who complained about their "heavy 15hr load". They didn't know what heavy was. Or the education majors who couldn't believe that when they took a science class they would have a lab to go with it. Sheesh.

I was one of those business majors! hehehe, plenty of time to hang out at the Uni Bar knocking back heinekens and hoegaardens! The amount of hours that a lot of my mates had doing medical and engineering degrees always put me to shame.

TheBlackCat
2005-Dec-06, 08:19 PM
I guess this is an appropriate necro-post, considering the timing.

I am taking 13 credits, 3 real classes and one seminar series. Of course, these are 13 PhD-level credits, which is more work than 17 undergraduate credits (in my experience). Luckily, only one of the classes has finals. One is a 700-level computer mathematics and biomedical modeling course where they don't bother with finals, and the other is a 700-level neuroscience course that also doesn't have a final. My only final (non-cumulative) is in my 500-level engineering molecular biology course. It is open book, but that does not make it any easier. And it is worth over 1/3 of my grade. And I can't get below a B in the class (or any class) or I am out of the program.

Monique
2005-Dec-06, 08:43 PM
Final exams build character in students :)

farmerjumperdon
2005-Dec-06, 08:49 PM
How hard is it to read and write, which is essentially all there is to English classes?

I write a lot also, and it may seem easy to us, but based on the average person's ability, it's no piece of toast. If it were, then why are so many people so poor at it? And it does matter. I write a lot of business requirements, respond to RFP's, create training materials, etc. I get paid well to do those things (supply and demand) mostly because it is not a skill everyone possesses. I can't even begin to count the number of times poor communication skills have added to the burden of trying to implement various products and services. Don't underestimate the value of quality communication skills.

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-06, 09:42 PM
9 hours worth of classes for me. That's not including the 1-hour per week lab for English. It's not bad, and it gives me plenty of time to work on my stories and ideas.

Taks
2005-Dec-06, 09:48 PM
i've got one class... i travel too much (work) to take much more than that. next semester i'll have two, however, which may be fun with impending travel. of course, after this semester i only need four more classes and i'll be done with school forever. er, at least till i decide to work on another degree... maybe math this time... :)

after 65-70 college classes (over 200 hours), however, finals are nothing but another test. after a while, you get used to them. maybe that's partly why good grades are easier in advanced degrees?

taks