PDA

View Full Version : Borrowing Tools

samkent
2009-Apr-15, 03:13 PM
My lady and I were watching the tv show last knight and a scene caused a discussion.

Scenario:
Neighbor A had a flat tire in the driveway. A look in the back of the vehicle revealed no tools in the storage area. So neighbor A walks next door or across the street to neighbor Bs house. Walks to the side door of a detached garage. Neighbor A opens the door and shouts for neighbor B. No answer. So neighbor A enters and rummages through neighbor Bs toolbox. Ending: Neighbor B is hanging from the rafters, dead.

I commented how wrong that was for some one to just help themselves to anothers tools.
In my world tools are a major part of your career. In the auto repair field its almost a capitol offence.

To her its like borrowing a cake pan. No biggie.

Is this a male vs female thing or a career vs non-career thing?

Swift
2009-Apr-15, 03:16 PM
I have no idea if it is a male/female or career/no-career thing. But unless I had issued a very clear, open invitation to a specific person about borrowing my tools, I would consider just walking in and taking a neighbors tools to be a big no-no. And those kinds of tools have nothing to do with my career, its just rude.

Amber Robot
2009-Apr-15, 03:24 PM

I think it is a priority thing. You value your tools very much, thus someone borrowing them without asking is quite an offense. If it were something you didn't place much value in, you'd probably not be bothered. If it were something she valued, she'd be bothered too.

The fact that men and women seem to value different things is from the societal gender training that starts at a very early age.

hhEb09'1
2009-Apr-15, 03:28 PM
One night, a neighbor and I came home after a ballgame, and another neighbor's garage was shut. We let ourselves in, and helped ourselves to the keg. While talking, we looked up at the ceiling. Our neighbor was not hanging from the ceiling, but we noticed that the ceiling was leaking. We woke them up, and they came out in their pajamas, and we all fixed the problem.

Beer's OK, but tools I dunno.

BigDon
2009-Apr-15, 03:31 PM
Also it depends on how close a friend you are. I don't mind some some of my friends just poking into my refridgerator, other friends should definately ask first. (I'll feed anybody I'm willing to let into my house though.)

geonuc
2009-Apr-15, 03:31 PM
... its just rude.
If by rude you mean illegal, I agree.

Metricyard
2009-Apr-15, 03:32 PM
To her it’s like borrowing a cake pan. No biggie

Just the fact that the person entered someone elses property without permission would be considered a big no no, and taking anything, be it a cake pan or a Dewalt power drill, it would still be considered stealing.

And I learned long ago that lending tools( or anything for that matter) to someone was a sure way to end up on the short end of the stick. It's amazing how fast your tools "disappear" after a year or 2.

BigDon
2009-Apr-15, 03:35 PM
Just the fact that the person entered someone elses property without permission would be considered a big no no, and taking anything, be it a cake pan or a Dewalt power drill, it would still be considered stealing.

No, under law, there is a different term for that. It just escapes me at the moment. Theft is distinct and different.

geonuc
2009-Apr-15, 03:37 PM
No, under law, there is a different term for that. It just escapes me at the moment. Theft is distinct and different.
Larceny

Fazor
2009-Apr-15, 03:41 PM

Regardless, unless set up by a verbal agreement or prior precedent, it's breaking and entering.

I'm not close with my neighbors. I don't mind if they come into my "locked" yard to retrieve something (they have kids, so toys/balls sometimes end up on our side of the fence). I say "locked" because we have clips in the gate latches because our dogs know how to open them, but there's no key or combination locks on the gates.

But if a neighbor went into my shed and borrowed my tools, I wouldn't be happy. If they entered my house for something, I'd really be [upset]. Of course, my dogs would also probably chew their faces off anyway. :)

Torsten
2009-Apr-15, 05:05 PM
I'm in a great neighbourhood, everyone here is friendly. I keep an extension ladder and a seeder/fertilizer spreader under the deck. They all know that they can help themselves to those tools anytime they like, as it's kind of ridiculous for every household on the block to have one. But they usually ask first.

But I'd be miffed if anyone just walked into my garage and borrowed my other tools without asking.

Gillianren
2009-Apr-15, 05:16 PM
Well, speaking as a woman, I can only say that whoever borrowed a cake pan from my apartment without asking would end up in whatever rafters I can find. The underside of my upstairs neighbours' balcony? Anyway, no. There's no way. Certain of my friends (never just neighbours except when I lived in the dorms) have had permission on specific occasions to enter my apartment when I wasn't there to pick up specific things. (Or, in one friend's case, his cat, which I was taking care of overnight.) If my best friend needed anything at any time, she could come and get it, though I can't fathom that she would. (When my other best friend is in town, she's pretty much living with us.) But you see that's a specific permission thing?

mike alexander
2009-Apr-15, 10:01 PM
At risk of an irrelevant question, what did the guy do about the body hanging there?

Gillianren
2009-Apr-16, 12:00 AM
I think it's written out backward and that Neighbour A is the one who ends up hanged. If not, it's an excellent question.

AGN Fuel
2009-Apr-16, 01:44 AM
I think it's written out backward and that Neighbour A is the one who ends up hanged. If not, it's an excellent question.

No, the OP states that it is neighbour B who was hanged.

My question is, what is the TV show 'Last Knight'? I can't find it in the Guide... ;)

Mind you - I'm guessing that anyone who doesn't have a jack and a tyre lever in their car is precisely the sort of person who would be likely to borrow tools from a neighbour.

BigDon
2009-Apr-16, 01:45 AM
Go through his pockets? See if there is anything tasty in his fridge? Call the authorities?

AGN Fuel
2009-Apr-16, 02:25 AM
Go through his pockets? See if there is anything tasty in his fridge? Call the authorities?

On the plus side, at least you'd have some tools on hand to get him down...

Gillianren
2009-Apr-16, 04:18 AM
No, the OP states that it is neighbour B who was hanged.

Yes, I know. Hence my suggestion that it was written out wrong.

AGN Fuel
2009-Apr-16, 04:59 AM
Yes, I know. Hence my suggestion that it was written out wrong.

Ah, my apologies. I misunderstood.

When I read it, it just sounded like a typical cliched start to an episode of Law & Order or similar (you know - they all start with everyday folk engaged in some usual interaction or activity, when they suddenly stumble across a corpse...cue intro music)

BigDon
2009-Apr-16, 12:28 PM
Ah, my apologies. I misunderstood.

When I read it, it just sounded like a typical cliched start to an episode of Law & Order or similar (you know - they all start with everyday folk engaged in some usual interaction or activity, when they suddenly stumble across a corpse...cue intro music)

I hate that.

Happened to me once back in the 80's. Mucks up your fishing trip no end. Makes you feel all oogly inside too. Even if it was "just" skeletal remains.

Gigabyte
2009-Apr-16, 12:35 PM
Where I come from, we keep things we don't want borrowed without permission (AKA stolen) locked up.

samkent
2009-Apr-16, 12:35 PM
The show was NCIS. And it was the opening scene.
Neighbor “A” was a hot twenty something female. Neighbor “B” was a twenty something Marine. She discovered him hanging from the garage rafters all sliced up.

Maybe he borrowed Gillianren’s cake pan without asking?

Gillianren
2009-Apr-16, 05:41 PM
Impossible. I don't have a garage.

TrAI
2009-Apr-17, 10:25 AM
My lady and I were watching the tv show last knight and a scene caused a discussion.

Scenario:
Neighbor “A” had a flat tire in the driveway. A look in the back of the vehicle revealed no tools in the storage area. So neighbor “A” walks next door or across the street to neighbor “B”s house. Walks to the side door of a detached garage. Neighbor “A” opens the door and shouts for neighbor “B”. No answer. So neighbor “A” enters and rummages through neighbor “B”s toolbox. Ending: Neighbor “B” is hanging from the rafters, dead.

I commented how wrong that was for some one to just help themselves to another’s tools.
In my world tools are a major part of your career. In the auto repair field it’s almost a capitol offence.

To her it’s like borrowing a cake pan. No biggie.

Hmmm... I suppose we just have to think that "A" was on friendly terms with "B" and believed it would be ok for her to borrow the tools, unless something else was stated. Anyway, it seems likely that this was just an excuse the writers used to get the body discovered.

zaithyn
2009-Apr-17, 11:09 AM
Is it possible if you could send us links that would be of help in our research?

Euniculus
2009-Apr-17, 01:03 PM
Only if the neighbors had some mutual understanding they could borrow each other's stuff at will.

Fazor
2009-Apr-17, 01:32 PM
The show 'Bones' starts like that every single episode.

"Dang you, Johnny! You hit the ball over the fence 'an into the 'ol junkyard! You go get it!"
[Johnny stumbles through a ill-tended junkyard, afraid of rats as they scurry past. He finds the ball, and goes to pick it up... then screams as he realizes it's resting in the half-decomposed hand of a corpse! Crash-cut to characters walking up to same area as a CSI team processes the scene]

But other than the corniness of that, I kinda like that show. I find the actors and the interplay between the characters enjoyable.