PDA

View Full Version : Solar Eclipse July 22, 2009

tony873004
2009-Apr-16, 12:27 AM
Is anyone planning on traveling to Asia to see this eclipse? It's the eclipse with the greatest magnitude of the 21st century. I've got time off in July and was thinking of going to Shanghai. Does anybody have any insight that might persuade or discourage me?

flynjack1
2009-Apr-16, 03:54 PM
Sounds like the experience of a life time. I would'nt hesitate to give it a whirl. Check the State Department web site for travel info/warnings.

KaiYeves
2009-Apr-16, 07:29 PM
Asia? I wish!

When was the last time there was a solar eclipse visible from New York City?

NEOWatcher
2009-Apr-16, 07:50 PM
Asia? I wish!

When was the last time there was a solar eclipse visible from New York City?
You weren't too far away in 1994 (http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEatlas/SEatlas2/SEatlas1981.GIF), and won't be too far away in 2024 (http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/eclipsemap.jpg).

Tobin Dax
2009-Apr-17, 12:29 AM
It could be a fun trip, but I'm at the point of longest totality in the 2017 eclipse. If I'm not here in 8 years, my parents also live on the path of the eclipse. I'll just head west and pay them a visit.

Tony, it does sound like quite a fun trip to make. I don't have any insight about the trip, but I'd suggest doing it if you can. If I could afford an international vacation this summer, I'd probably go.

tony873004
2009-Apr-18, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. Has anyone been to China? I don't want to join one of the eclipse tours, because I don't want to tour China before and afterwards. I want to go scuba diving. But I'd really like to hook up with other eclipse tourists on eclipse day and hire a driver who knows the area so we can dodge clouds if need be.

KaiYeves
2009-Apr-21, 12:38 AM
You weren't too far away in 1994, and won't be too far away in 2024.
When your parents drive you around, that is too far.

NEOWatcher
2009-Apr-21, 11:48 AM
When your parents drive you around, that is too far.
Even 15 years from now? :lol:

KaiYeves
2009-Apr-22, 12:22 AM
15 years from now, I have no idea where I'll be. (I'm still not sure what area of archeology I want to study.)

NEOWatcher
2009-Apr-22, 12:18 PM
15 years from now, I have no idea where I'll be. (I'm still not sure what area of archeology I want to study.)
I don't think any of us can really be sure, but I was more thinking about how you would have gotten there. ;)

alalal
2009-Apr-29, 01:31 PM
Hi there,
Ive just joined up but may be working in Australia before the Eclipse and would love to take a trip over to see this.........

Would be great to pool some information as I dont particularily want to use a tour company

Regards

alalal

Andrew Wong
2009-May-02, 12:55 PM
Hi all,

I'm from Malaysia here...would be great to hear this news!Hope my club seniors will organize an event about this.

sol_g2v
2009-May-03, 06:55 AM
I'm going to be there. I'll probably view the eclipse from Shanghai because the weather is supposed to be decent and length of the totality will be close to 6mn. I'm going to use ff miles unless I find a really good price for tix. Chinese visa alone is $130. I'll be traveling around China both before and afterward ( no tour group).

TampaDude
2009-May-05, 06:52 PM
I'm planning to go to Shanghai, finances permitting. I saw the previous eclipse in Saros 136 in Baja on July 11, 1991, and I really want to bag this one. Of course, there's the one in 2017 here in the USA, and if I live long enough, Saros 136 comes right here to the Tampa area on August 12, 2045. :cool:

tony873004
2009-May-05, 11:54 PM
Saros 136 also passes over the Rock of Gibralter in 18 years from now. And if I live long enough, it passes just north of San Francisco in 2045 as well, before heading to Tampa.

@sol_g2v and TampaDude,
If you actually go, and you're not part of an organized tour, and want to share expenses of hiring a driver to dodge the clouds, let me know. I'll probably decide in June if I will make the trip. Do either of you speak Chinese?

Appleblythe
2009-May-09, 05:27 PM
Will try to look forward to this. Still not sure if i'll be able to go to Asia..

sol_g2v
2009-May-09, 08:23 PM
@sol_g2v and TampaDude,
If you actually go, and you're not part of an organized tour, and want to share expenses of hiring a driver to dodge the clouds, let me know. I'll probably decide in June if I will make the trip. Do either of you speak Chinese?

I don't speak Chinese, but I don't think it will be a problem in Shanghai. Maybe a bigger problem in the interior. Putuoshan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putuoshan) might be an option to get away from the smog. Smog is likely to be the biggest problem. Four Seasons in Shanghai is already offering an eclipse package (http://www.fourseasons.com/connecting/2009_Q1/article_13287.html).

Hoopyfrood
2009-May-21, 02:53 PM
The eclipse will be visible (100 percent totality) in southern Japan. Iwo Jima however is off limits except to military folks. It's remote anyway. Two or three better locations are the following: Fly into one of the major cities, closer to Kyushu the better. Fukuoka has an airport. If you fly to Osaka or Tokyo you'll have to take a bullet train (Japan rail pass) is a good deal, to Fukuoka(Hakata) and then to the southern city of Kagoshima. Get to Kagoshima, it may have a airport too. Then take a 4 hour ferry or two hour hydrofoil to Yakushima. This Island is a subtropical rainforest and world heritage site. The problem is it's a rain forest and thus may be rainy. So, two or three other islands nearby by may be better. Tanegashima and Amami Oshima. Both have ferries to and from Kagoshima and both have hotels etc. All those island have normal amenities. One last thing. Typhoon season (hurricane season) is the summer in Japan. Not a good time on a ferry. It's just by chance. They may or may not be there. Amami Oshima may also have an airport.

mahesh
2009-May-21, 05:02 PM
Two months to go...for lucky ones and eclipse chasers et al.

Aren't there, or won't there be, 'internet facilities', so that one is able to 'watch' the eclipse, without being there, along the path of totality? I am going to look into this! Couldn't some kindly souls, have a set up, in North Iwo Jima and broadcast.

I see that it's passing through the Indian cities of Surat, Varanisi and Panta, as well. May be easier to travel there, than in / to China. I mean 'red tape'-wise. Though the duration of totality may be shorter.

Any way, dear friends, wish you all good luck with your travels and good and happy viewing if you are going chasin'. shoot lots of pics and share here, please. Clear skies, to ye all.