PDA

View Full Version : Wii - Fit. Anyone else try it?

Fazor
2009-Apr-22, 02:02 PM
My girlfriend bought Wii Fit last week, and we've started using it. I actually quite enjoy it - though I still don't know how bad I should feel that 30 minutes with the thing has me sweating like mad and gasping for breath.

The drawback is that since it's a video game with limited input techniques (namely the balance board and the Wii'mote); there's no one to make sure you're doing the excersizes correctly. I didn't read the literature that came with it, but am a little curious to what kind of wording they used to protect themselves from people who sustain injury (a one time accident, or repeated misuse) as a result of doing the workouts wrong.

But it is a great idea. Charts your progress to help motivate you and the games / excersizes are pretty fun and well varied. I just have to wait 'til its dark so that the neighbors don't see me doing the step routines. ;)

SeanF
2009-Apr-22, 02:25 PM
We got it a while back. I don't use it as much as I should - just don't seem to be able to find the time.

The balance games are a lot of fun, though. The tightrope walking is hard. :)

Fazor
2009-Apr-22, 02:55 PM
The balance games are a lot of fun, though. The tightrope walking is hard. :)

The step mechanics aren't quite responsive enough for me to enjoy that one (or I haven't figured out the proper way to do it). I just unlocked the snowboarding one last night. It's a lot of fun; but I bet it's more fun to watch me flailing my arms as I attempt to not fall on my [posterior].

SeanF
2009-Apr-22, 03:06 PM
The step mechanics aren't quite responsive enough for me to enjoy that one (or I haven't figured out the proper way to do it). I just unlocked the snowboarding one last night. It's a lot of fun; but I bet it's more fun to watch me flailing my arms as I attempt to not fall on my [posterior].
It's no so much the stepping that's hard as the jumping over the little chomper things. It's very difficult to "jump" straight up and back down.

The marbles-through-the-holes one is also a lot of fun. :)

Fazor
2009-Apr-22, 03:14 PM
It's no so much the stepping that's hard as the jumping over the little chomper things. It's very difficult to "jump" straight up and back down.

That's funny, because I have no problem with the jumping part (But Tara always launches herself way off the rope. It's funny).

I don't do the balance games much. They're by far the most fun, but I want to lose weight so primarily do the aerobics and strength exercises.

Trantor
2009-Apr-22, 03:27 PM
My wife loves Wii Fit. She uses it three or four times a week. I did try it a couple of times, but I prefer our stair climber and our treadmill. I did try the snowboarding a few times, and it's great fun. I know a lot of hard core gamers don't like this fitness game, but you got to give Nintendo credit for coming up with this. It's the best selling game on the any gaming machine, and doesn't look to be slowing down anytime soon. It has a good chance of becoming the best selling game ever, and at $90 per game, it's making Nintendo very wealthy indeed. Maybe Nintendo should have put a mean looking machine gun or rocket launcher in the hands of the person doing snowboarding. You could gun down people and other things for points; then the gamers would love this game.:)

Fazor
2009-Apr-22, 03:31 PM
I think the stereotype that gamers only want action and violence is largely mistaken. I mean, the Wii itself (not just Wii Fit) is a great indicator of that -- they really only have a handful of violent games, yet it sells as well or better than the other two competing systems.

Not that I don't like action games, or am adverse to violence. But I prefer variety; and a lot of mainstream developers think all we want anymore are bloody first person shooters.

Tucson_Tim
2009-Apr-22, 07:54 PM
One of those might be great if I was posted to an Antarctic research station. I'll take the outdoors, even working in the yard -- at least I can accomplish something while I get exercise.

Fazor
2009-Apr-22, 08:20 PM
One of those might be great if I was posted to an Antarctic research station.

Or if, like, your only free time comes at 10:00 or 11:00 at night.
(I don't count my yard work as exercise; not because it isn't, but because I prefer to work out in addition to it).

Tucson_Tim
2009-Apr-22, 08:29 PM
(I don't count my yard work as exercise; not because it isn't, but because I prefer to work out in addition to it).

I also work out in addition to the yard work. I run, hike, bike, swim, lift weights, and play ball.

I'll give the Wii-Fit this much: It's a whole lot better than no exercise at all. If it gets people to exercise who normally don't - it's worth the $90.

Jason_Roberts
2009-Apr-23, 12:29 AM
Anyone remember the "Power Pad" for the original NES? That was the last fitness-oriented product from Nintendo I ever touched.

Chunky
2009-Apr-23, 12:39 AM
My girlfriend bought Wii Fit last week, and we've started using it. I actually quite enjoy it - though I still don't know how bad I should feel that 30 minutes with the thing has me sweating like mad and gasping for breath.

The drawback is that since it's a video game with limited input techniques (namely the balance board and the Wii'mote); there's no one to make sure you're doing the excersizes correctly. I didn't read the literature that came with it, but am a little curious to what kind of wording they used to protect themselves from people who sustain injury (a one time accident, or repeated misuse) as a result of doing the workouts wrong.

But it is a great idea. Charts your progress to help motivate you and the games / excersizes are pretty fun and well varied. I just have to wait 'til its dark so that the neighbors don't see me doing the step routines. ;)

i saw a girl online use it.

nice. really,
did you see?

i think the title is get your girlfriend a wii fit! i forget though..

KaiYeves
2009-Apr-23, 09:37 PM
What did Queen Victoria say when her video game broke?

Wii are not amused!