PDA

View Full Version : Comments: The Crackdown

Fraser
2009-Apr-24, 05:50 PM
I’m sure you all knew this was coming. I enabled comments on Universe Today about 6 months ago, and it was great to have everyone’s feedback. But now people are abusing the system, being rude to each other and advertising their personal theories, so it’s time to crack down. I’m going to implement some new [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2009/04/24/comments-the-crackdown/)

slang
2009-Apr-24, 11:27 PM
Thanks for this. Personally, it has annoyed me greatly that very ATM stuff could blatantly and sometimes insultingly posted there (even with several posters countering), especially on the assumption that more people see those comments than visit this forum. And thanks for putting a stop to my thinking of how to bring this to attention :)

JonClarke
2009-Apr-25, 03:07 AM
I wonder if it would not be better to simply have a comment button which, when clicked, links people here? That way all comments are subjected to the board rules.

Jerry
2009-Apr-25, 05:18 AM
I wonder if it would not be better to simply have a comment button which, when clicked, links people here? That way all comments are subjected to the board rules.
I would like linking better, because I would only have to look one place.

iantresman
2009-Apr-25, 08:37 AM
I’d appreciate a few more guidelines. I regularly discuss alternative theories, and often provide peer-reviewed citations. I assume this is OK.

On occasions, I provide a link to my own site, not to promote it, but because it often includes a summary list of citations to peer reviewed sources. I don’t think I have ever been criticized for doing so. Is this OK?

How about linking to Wikipedia, which sometimes contains inaccurate information?

Rarely, I express my personal opinion, such as my view that (http://www.bautforum.com/universe-today-story-comments/35489-new-view-space-weather-cold-fronts.html#post617703) the ice Volcanoes on Enceladus looked like a “Corona Discharge from a Wire”, a view which I believe was recently shown to be relevant. Acceptable or not?

And presumably there’s no problem if our own sites link to BAUT?

slang
2009-Apr-25, 11:08 PM
On occasions, I provide a link to my own site, not to promote it, but because it often includes a summary list of citations to peer reviewed sources. I don’t think I have ever been criticized for doing so. Is this OK?

Spam! And I reported you!! Just kidding, there was a bit of discussion on this recently here (http://www.bautforum.com/forum-introductions-feedback/86932-spam-signatures-new-legit-looking-articles.html). Check Moose's post #29.

Rarely, I express my personal opinion, such as my view that (http://www.bautforum.com/universe-today-story-comments/35489-new-view-space-weather-cold-fronts.html#post617703) the ice Volcanoes on Enceladus looked like a “Corona Discharge from a Wire”, a view which I believe was recently shown to be relevant. Acceptable or not?

Those, I think, would fall under the BAUT forum rules, rather than what Fraser posted as rules for comments on UT.

And presumably there’s no problem if our own sites link to BAUT?

I've never seen such a rule, and for the life of me can't imagine why Fraser and Phil would want to discourage or prohibit it. I guess I'll report my post to the mods for clarification after all, because I don't think they read here much, and I assume you'd like a more definitive answer than my ramblings.

Josh
2009-Apr-25, 11:58 PM
Hi Ian,

To add to slangs remarks ...

These new UT rules are for comments on articles made on the Universe Today (www.universetoday.com) site itself.

Every story published on UT is also linked to here in BAUT (as this one is). Taking this 'Comments: The Crackdown" article as an example, comments and discussions of the article made over at the UT site (directly under the original article) are subject to these new UT rules. Comments and discussions of the articles made here in BAUT (such as this thread) are subject to the BAUT rules.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Also I don't see why there'd be any problem linking to BAUT so long as everyone who shows up at our doorstep is happy to abide by the forum rules.

WYAdams
2009-Jul-10, 03:12 PM
I would like to reply to the comment by E320lifegr8rlimitsofcreated.
He says: "Boundaries and limits are important. Without them someone could get hurt."

Get hurt? How in the world can someone be hurt by comments on a website!? Maybe hurt feelings, but then when we have become such a namby pamby society that we cannot tolerate a few objectionable comments?

Moose
2009-Jul-10, 03:48 PM
It's not (and has never been) a matter of "cannot" tolerate. It's a matter of "will not" tolerate comments that violate the rules of this board. BAUT (and presumably UT) are intended to be accessible to schools and families.

Argos
2009-Jul-10, 05:06 PM
Wow! Yesterday I tried to sign up to comment the Stephans´Sextet post and I didn´t receive the confirmation email. I thought it was some bug. I was about to post a question regarding this.

Thanks for clarifying.