PDA

View Full Version : Happy Mothers' Day

Salty
2009-May-02, 10:38 PM
I don't know which Sunday is Mothers' Day. In case it's tomorrow, I'm starting this thread, today.

I want all the mothers out there, to know you are appreciated by others than only your families. It seems things are so hard on parents and families, nowadays. You mommas need all the encouragement you can get.

Cheers

tdvance
2009-May-02, 10:45 PM
you scared me--It would mean I forgot Mother's Day! Luckily, it's Sunday next week--May 10.

chrissy
2009-May-02, 11:14 PM
We had Mothers day in March 22nd here in the UK. :)

I still had to make Sunday lunch and wash the pots up afterwards. :(

But thank you Salty. :)

Gillianren
2009-May-02, 11:45 PM
It is, as mentioned, next weekend (my best friend is going to take me to go see Wolverine so I don't sit around watching diamond commercials and weeping; I'll weep over how bad the movie is instead), but I forgive you that, and misspelling "carpal" in the other thread, and any number of other possible things, because you punctuated it correctly.

sarongsong
2009-May-03, 03:14 AM
I don't know which Sunday is Mothers' Day...Excellent sentiments, but curious as to why you didn't use your computer's search engine to find out.

hhEb09'1
2009-May-03, 03:49 AM
M is for the mudflaps...

Tinaa
2009-May-04, 02:18 PM
Is there a stepmothers' day? It is much harder to be a stepmom than a mom.

Swift
2009-May-04, 02:43 PM
M is for the million things she tells me,
O is for the other things she tells me,
T is for the thousand things she tells me,
H is for the hundred things she tells me,
E is for everything she tells me,
R is for the rest of the things she tells me,
Put them all together they spell Big Mouth,
That's what mother means to me.
:D

Early happy moms day to all moms (including step moms)

geonuc
2009-May-04, 02:46 PM
My wife just lost her mother, so I'll need to be less of an insensitive boor that day.:(

Tinaa
2009-May-04, 02:47 PM
M is for the million things she tells me,
O is for the other things she tells me,
T is for the thousand things she tells me,
H is for the hundred things she tells me,
E is for everything she tells me,
R is for the rest of the things she tells me,
Put them all together they spell Big Mouth,
That's what mother means to me.
:D

Early happy moms day to all moms (including step moms)

If I've told you once, I've told you a dozen times....

Gillianren
2009-May-04, 05:08 PM
Is there a stepmothers' day? It is much harder to be a stepmom than a mom.

Not to play oneupmanship, but being a birth mother's no great shakes, either. I don't have to deal with day-to-day issues with her, and I never have, but I don't get to deal with day-to-day issues with her, either. She's eleven now, and I haven't seen her since she was maybe seven. I talk to her every year on her birthday like clockwork, going out of my way to do so--I don't even have long distance, so I have to get a phone card or borrow someone's cell phone. It's sometimes the only contact I have with her all year except the Christmas card, now that she's rebelled against having so many pictures taken. And she doesn't have an e-mail address.

And every year, I watch the commercials. But Mothers' Day doesn't seem to include people like me. You can find stepmother cards at Hallmark.

Salty
2009-May-04, 06:29 PM
Excellent sentiments, but curious as to why you didn't use your computer's search engine to find out.

Ma'am, I'm on a library computer. Simple male ego vetoed the idea of asking a librarian. Time is of the essence, here.

Euniculus
2009-May-04, 11:42 PM
My wife just lost her mother, so I'll need to be less of an insensitive boor that day.:(

Get her a Mother's day card from the dog and cats.

sarongsong
2009-May-05, 02:16 AM
...Time is of the essence, here.:lol: ---"Cut the blue wire!" http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

HenrikOlsen
2009-May-05, 09:00 PM
Simple male ego vetoed the idea of asking a librarian.
But answering questions is the whole point of their existence, preferably really obscure ones.

Alternatively, with a networked library PC you have Google.

Incidentally, a question for everyone, is it Mothers (plural) or Mother's (singular possessive) Day, both would seem to work as concepts to celebrate.

Argos
2009-May-05, 09:01 PM
Down here it is celebrated on the 2nd Sunday of May.

Happy Mothers´ Day to all of you mothers [and step ones too] out there. :)

SeanF
2009-May-05, 09:13 PM
Incidentally, a question for everyone, is it Mothers (plural) or Mother's (singular possessive) Day, both would seem to work as concepts to celebrate.
As Salty's OP has it (and Gillianren confirmed), it is Mothers' (plural possessive) Day. :)

Gillianren
2009-May-05, 09:58 PM
"Mothers'." Plural possessive. It is a day belonging to mothers. (Which means, of course, that it ought to be Veterans' Day and Presidents' Day, but the government chooses not to follow grammar, apparently.)

sarongsong
2009-May-06, 11:54 PM
As Salty's OP has it (and Gillianren confirmed), it is Mothers' (plural possessive) Day. :)Not according to Encyclopedia Britannica and Merriam-Webster, among others... :)

Salty
2009-May-08, 05:50 PM
:lol: ---"Cut the blue wire!" http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

I did and ate a soft fish. Turned out it was spoiled and I've been sick four days.

Salty
2009-May-08, 05:51 PM
But answering questions is the whole point of their existence, preferably really obscure ones.

Alternatively, with a networked library PC you have Google.

I'm afraid if I ask a really obscure question, that the librarian will tell me to Google it. snicker

Salty
2009-May-08, 05:54 PM
Not according to Encyclopedia Britannica and Merriam-Webster, among others... :)

Who can be right, all the time? Statistically, I've got to be right, eventually. Except, maybe not this time.

OK, WE'RE LINING UP ON THE RIGHT SUNDAY, NOW:

ALL YOU
MOTHERS
STEPMOTHERS
GODMOTHERS
AND
FOSTERMOTHERS

HAVE A HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY