PDA

View Full Version : If a 5 miles wide Asteroid hit mars or venus

TRUTHisnotfacts
2009-May-06, 04:18 AM
If there was a 5 mile wide Asteroid that hit mars would it effect earth ?

Jeff Root
2009-May-06, 05:38 AM
It would prompt many thousands of people to look at Mars at night who
otherwise would not have. It would prompt some of those people to buy
telescopes for viewing Mars who otherwise would not have. It would
also prompt the development of a new Mars probe or two to examine
the impact site.

Many years later (possibly millions of years) it might cause some
Martian meteoroids to reach Earth-- probably none larger than a few
hundred pounds. Most likely, they would all burn up in the atmosphere.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Swift
2009-May-06, 01:43 PM
It might be bad for the rovers on Mars. Even if they weren't directly impacted, the dust cloud would probably cut off enough sunlight to impact their solar power.

slang
2009-May-06, 01:48 PM
It might be bad for the rovers on Mars. Even if they weren't directly impacted, the dust cloud would probably cut off enough sunlight to impact their solar power.

But if the impact location would cooperate a little bit, Phoenix could become part of the ejecta. With a bit of luck: instant sample return mission. :)

JustAFriend
2009-May-06, 01:54 PM
But the easy and quick answer is that both those planets are 30-50million miles away
and you'd need a good telescope to even know that anything was going on there...

antoniseb
2009-May-06, 02:21 PM
I expect that a five mile wide asteroid hitting Venus would not result in any Venusian material getting to Earth, but it would cause a lot of people to speculate what it would have been like if it had hit us instead.

rommel543
2009-May-06, 03:51 PM
If there was a 5 mile wide asteroid coming in that close to Earth, I'm sure we would know about it before it hit Venus; Mars maybe not. I think that there would definitely be a lot of people watching.