PDA

View Full Version : loath or loathe?

Cougar
2009-May-11, 05:28 PM
1. "He was loathe to make any grammatical mistake."

2. "He was loath to make any grammatical mistake."

I looked this up in the dictionary, and I think version 2 is correct since loath is being used as a predicate adjective, not a verb form. But my boss changed it back to version 1. Who's correct?

Celestial Mechanic
2009-May-11, 05:33 PM
1. "He was loathe to make any grammatical mistake."

2. "He was loath to make any grammatical mistake."

I looked this up in the dictionary, and I think version 2 is correct since loath is being used as a predicate adjective, not a verb form. But my boss changed it back to version 1. Who's correct?You are correct. "Loath" is an adjective, "loathe" is a transitive verb.

HenrikOlsen
2009-May-11, 05:49 PM
I am loath to do things I loathe doing.

Your boss is wrong.

slang
2009-May-11, 07:19 PM
But my boss changed it back to version 1. Who's correct?

Everyone but bosses. :D

PetersCreek
2009-May-11, 07:22 PM
But my boss changed it back to version 1. Who's correct?

Depends. How soon is your next performance review? ;)

I'm fortunate that my bosses rely on me to proof their correspondence rather than the other way 'round.

Celestial Mechanic
2009-May-11, 07:31 PM
Reminds me of a similar experience I had where where I changed "at that point in time" (an unfortunate phrase dumped into the English language by Nixon from his transcripts) to "at that time" and my boss made me change it back.

Gillianren
2009-May-11, 09:24 PM
Wow. Half a dozen correct answers before I even get on the board. Well done, all.

Gandalf223
2009-May-12, 02:21 AM
1. loathe

2. loath

...I think version 2 is correct ... But my boss changed it back to version 1. Who's correct?

Just as there are two versions of the word in question, there is more than one answer to your question.

In terms of spelling/grammar, I think you're right.

OTOH, the rules are clear:

Rule 1: The boss is always right.
Rule 2: In the event the boss is wrong, see Rule 1.
So suck it up, sit back and revel in your superiority. Quietly, of course...

Gillianren
2009-May-12, 04:28 AM
Hey, I've had bosses who thanked me for correcting their spelling/grammar, and that wasn't even just when I worked as a copy editor.

HenrikOlsen
2009-May-12, 10:58 AM
I've had a boss were the standing order was never to let anything he had written get out of the office before someone else had proofwritten it.
He was severely dyslexic and knew it.

Only time I can remember the rule was broken was when he sent a 15 word fax and used the spell checker in Word. For 7 of the words he'd picked the wrong suggestion.

Buttercup
2009-May-12, 01:41 PM
Loathe.

That's in my long work experience with professionals.

Appleblythe
2009-May-13, 04:25 PM
Loathe, is..

Cougar
2009-May-13, 06:26 PM
Depends. How soon is your next performance review? ;)

I took my job in my own hands and told him it should be "loath." He knows me pretty well and just said, "I'll take your word for it."

NEOWatcher
2009-May-13, 06:35 PM
All I know is that word is so rare in my vocabulary and in what I hear, that I can only think "bananas" every time I hear it.

Those darn dirty apes. :sick: