PDA

View Full Version : Listener question: What is space?

eric_marsh
2009-May-12, 08:06 PM
It's been said that whoever discovered water was not a fish.

This brings me to something that I've been wondering about lately after listening to a podcast. This podcast said that the expansion phase of the universe occurred when our three or four dimensions unfolded after the big bang.

I've heard many a discussion about topics such as what are sub-atomic particles, what is relativity, what is dark energy/matter and so forth. But what I've heard rarely if ever is the question of is what is space? Perhaps better, what "are" the dimensions of space.

If the dimensions of space unfolded from something else as the universe cooled, that would imply that the are "something" not just the space that everything else appeared in. What that something is or what it unfolded from is an intriguing question. One would think that "dark energy" (whatever it is) might be the continued unfolding of three dimensions from something else. If so, what else? Is dark energy somehow associated with the existence of matter or conventional energy.

I have not the faintest idea what the answers to these questions might be but they are intriguing questions. If you folks would consider addressing them in a future episode I'd be very interested in hearing what you have to say.

Schultz9999
2009-May-14, 04:50 PM
This question has been asked on one of the first question shows. I was trying to find it but it is kind of difficult.

robross
2009-May-14, 11:05 PM
This question has been asked on one of the first question shows. I was trying to find it but it is kind of difficult.

They talk about it in this question episode:

http://www.astronomycast.com/listeners/questions-shows/questions-show-galactic-dust-the-speed-of-photons-and-the-big-bang-calculations/

(In iTunes it's dated 10/19/08)

The question is discussed at around 18:00 minutes. Also, on the Astronomy Cast page above, there's several external links that also discuss this question.

Rob

eric_marsh
2009-May-14, 11:31 PM
Thanks - I'll take a listen to it