PDA

View Full Version : Really bad "charmed" episode

Wally
2003-Dec-30, 04:38 PM
No, I don't usually watch it, but it was on before Law and Order (the best TV on these days) in syndication. . . Anyways, part of the plot included an upcoming total solar eclipse. This may have been gone over before, since the show's a repeat, but here goes anyways:

1) one of the sister's makes "solar shades" using really thin, red plastic (you could even see her eyes thru them) as lenses

2) during the start of the eclipse, you could easily see the image of a full moon as it creeped across the face of the sun.

3) The total eclipse lasted for at least long enough for the sisters to discover the solution to the plot, track down the baddie and serve him his just desserts, then return home and stage an impromptu wedding (an hour at the very least???).

oops, almost forgot. .

4) they strongly imply the danger in looking at the sun is caused by the eclipse! (something where one of them was gonna glance up, but was warned by the other "not today!!!" because of the eclipse!)

SciFi Chick
2003-Dec-30, 04:44 PM
You're kidding right? I mean, about the episode being bad? If they had a good episode, that would be newsworthy. :wink:

Paul Beardsley
2003-Dec-30, 05:00 PM
While totally agreeing with all your points, Wally, I have to say I cannot think of a single film, TV episode or even cartoon that portrays eclipses accurately. Usually the moon is visible as a black disc as it meets the sun; always the eclipse is either much to short in duration, or, as in your example, much too long. Come to that, the duration is often lopsided - the sun goes from not eclipsed at all to totally eclipsed in a few seconds, then stays eclipsed for about 20 seconds, then is forgotten about.

And nobody seems to get full moons right either. You'd think that was something easy to do - after all, we do get one most months* - but no. I watched Dog Soldiers a couple of days ago, which was about werewolves - consequently, the moon's phase was of some importance to the plot. Of course, I might have got my lycanthropy facts wrong - perhaps people turn into werewolves a day or two past the full moon?

Going back to eclipses, perhaps the people who find inaccurate eclipses dramatic outnumber people who have a clue, in which case the programme makers are doing the right thing. But the implied suggestion that it's more dangerous to look at the sun during an eclipse than at other times - that goes beyond bad astronomy, that's bad safety.

Paul

*There's a full moon every 29.5 days, and there are 28 days in February, so you don't always get a full moon in Feb.

daver
2004-Jan-05, 06:41 PM
And nobody seems to get full moons right either. You'd think that was something easy to do - after all, we do get one most months* - but no. I watched Dog Soldiers a couple of days ago, which was about werewolves - consequently, the moon's phase was of some importance to the plot. Of course, I might have got my lycanthropy facts wrong - perhaps people turn into werewolves a day or two past the full moon?

My experience with werewolves is pretty much limited to Dark Shadows, but I don't have any problem with going were a day either way of the full moon--it still looks reasonably round.

Which raises some question about which aspect of the full moon it is that triggers lycanthropy. I think it is fairly well established (outside of Dragonball, anyway), that direct exposure to moonlight isn't required to transform--there are too many examples of werewolves being locked into dark rooms during that time of the month.

gethen
2004-Jan-05, 11:07 PM
Actually, I seem to remember reading in a book by some obscure astronomer ( :wink: ) that looking at a solar eclipse is very dangerous if you don't use proper filters because your pupil will be pretty much wide open when the sun peaks back out, instead of mostly closed as it would be while the sun is uncovered.

Odinoneeye
2004-Jan-06, 05:12 AM
Like most legends, the legend of the werewolf depends on who does the telling. Most sources usually claim the that effect lasts for a few days before and after the full moon and doesn't depend on actual exposure.

Although, there was one cartoon where a picture of a full moon would turn the guy into the werewolf. Can't remember the name.

As for the glasses thing, if they're witches, couldn't she have made them magical glasses so they would still filter out enough light? I mean if we can be completely ridiculous.

R.A.F.
2004-Jan-06, 03:52 PM
You're kidding right? I mean, about the episode being bad? If they had a good episode, that would be newsworthy. :wink:

The first thing I thought of when reading the title of this thread...aren't they all bad??

Wally
2004-Jan-06, 07:30 PM
Actually, I seem to remember reading in a book by some obscure astronomer ( :wink: ) that looking at a solar eclipse is very dangerous if you don't use proper filters because your pupil will be pretty much wide open when the sun peaks back out, instead of mostly closed as it would be while the sun is uncovered.

Yeah, but this was before the total eclipse had begun, so they aren't even able to get by on this little tidbit.

daver
2004-Jan-06, 07:49 PM

The first thing I thought of when reading the title of this thread...aren't they all bad??

Crow had a line that pretty much sums up my feelings for this show when MST3K did "Angel's Brigade"--"That's it! I'm giving in and looking at the breasts." (quote from IMDB; that doesn't sound quite right to me, but perhaps i was paying more attention to other things at the time).

tracer
2004-Jan-06, 10:25 PM
And speaking of MST3K:

In the episode where they did the movie "Werewolf", the moon stayed full for over a week!

daver
2004-Jan-07, 01:09 AM
And speaking of MST3K:

In the episode where they did the movie "Werewolf", the moon stayed full for over a week!

That puts it at L2, right? (umm, it looks as if there is some disagreement about the numbering of L1-L3, this is sometimes called L3). So it looks as if the explosion at the nuclear waste dump on the far side of the moon wasn't sufficient to blast the moon out of earth's orbit altogether, but merely enough to put it into a halo orbit around L2. I haven't done any simulations, but I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be a fairly chaotic orbit--once the moon leaves the vicinity of L2 it might take millenia for the moon to return to a position where it was full again. Hmm. On the other hand, tidal drag might be sufficient to keep it more or less in place.

Geo3gh
2004-Jan-07, 11:56 PM
Although, there was one cartoon where a picture of a full moon would turn the guy into the werewolf. Can't remember the name.

I believe that was "Fangtooth." I can't find any references to that, but I do remember the show. After changing into a werewolf, Fangtooth would invariably swallow his best friend whole. They could turn him back by showing him a photo of the sun.