PDA

View Full Version : British Premier League

Fazor
2009-May-14, 06:07 PM
I enjoy watching FSC, part of our cable package. It's a soccer-only channel. I'll watch some of the MLS games when they're on, but I like the British Premier League matches the best. Thing is, since I'm a Yank, I don't really have a team to root for. I often find myself pulling for the Arsenal, but I think that's just because their one of the few teams that we hear about over here.

So, now's a chance for you blokes on the other side of the pond to recruit a new fan for your club. Who's fun to watch? I tend to like underdogs . . . part human nature (methinks), part growing up as a fan of Cleveland's sports teams (they're not always underdogs, but they're fairly consistently losers. Heh. Cavs, prove me wrong!)

PraedSt
2009-May-14, 06:15 PM
Liverpool!

As long as you don't end up supporting ManUre, I'll still talk to you. :)

Fazor
2009-May-14, 06:20 PM
I saw Liverpool's match against West Ham. the other night. Pretty lopsided, but I'm guessing you didn't mind. To sound a little too much like my girlfriend, W. Ham's jerseys were hideous . . . but at least they're creative. At least, compared to the teams 'round these parts. :)

Arneb
2009-May-14, 06:24 PM
Ironically, if you like underdogs, then maybe the Premier League isn't the right thing for you. The Championship is booked for a Manchester United/Chelsea FC rotation with occasional slots for Arsenal and Liverpool. It is certainly extremely high-level football (at the moment, it's far and away the best league in Europe: three of these four teams made it to the European club competetion semi-finals this year, and two of them played the final last year), but there being no salary cap and the differences in money to be spent on the teams being huge, the Premier League is something of a red-blue monoculture.

If you are in for it, I'd recommend to root for Arsenal: They are the underdog among the alpha dogs; their coach pursues a philosphy of employing young, highly gifted players pursuing a technically sophisticated, elegant, team-oriented game which is great fun to watch; and maybe the best football book in existence (http://www.amazon.com/Fever-Pitch-Nick-Hornby/dp/1573226882/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242325289&sr=8-2) deals with the addicitve relationship of a can't-help-it fan with this club.

So there.

kleindoofy
2009-May-14, 06:27 PM
Premier League?

Nah.

Erste Bundesliga.

Boruuuuuuuuussia, Boruuuuuuuuussia!

I'm a big Borussia Dortmund 09 fan. Great club, good atmosphere at the games. Good down to earth working class followers. None of that opportunistic Bayern München or Manchester United bunch.

If I had to choose a team in the Premier League, it would be Liverpool.

PraedSt
2009-May-14, 06:30 PM
If you are in for it, I'd recommend to root for Arsenal: They are the underdog among the alpha dogs; their coach pursues a philosphy of employing young, highly gifted players pursuing a technically sophisticated, elegant, team-oriented game which is great fun to watch; and maybe the best football book in existence deals with the addicitve relationship of a can't-help-it fan with this club.

So there.
You're talking Arsenal now. I remember what they were like in the 80s. They were thugs!

See what you've gone and done Fazor? You've started a war. :)

Fazor
2009-May-14, 06:47 PM
You're talking Arsenal now. I remember what they were like in the 80s. They were thugs!

See what you've gone and done Fazor? You've started a war. :)

I knew it would. ;) But that's okay, who doesn't like some lively discussion?

I was just viewing the BPL website; it does certainly look like the top handfull of teams are separated from the rest by a pretty wide margin.

PraedSt
2009-May-14, 07:10 PM
I was just viewing the BPL website; it does certainly look like the top handfull of teams are separated from the rest by a pretty wide margin.
Yes- probably those power distributions that humans get a lot of. A handful of big teams, and hundreds of small ones.

You obviously know this, but you enjoy a better experience if you have some sort of 'connection' with the sports team you support. So I got one for you.

You're learning Spanish, right? The most popular EPL side in Spain? Liverpool. So there you go. :D

chrissy
2009-May-14, 07:24 PM
Sorry PraedSt I have been a fan of Manchester United since I was a kid and Liverpool were always top of the league and ManU were the under dogs for many years. It was aweful when the rest of your class mates supported the same team and only one (me) supported a different one, but I wasn't going to be a glory hunter for them. I have stood by and watched them grow from strength to strength ever since. :)

Poor Darlington, a local club of mine has hit major problems and the club has gone Bankrupt so the Quakers will be no more, unless someone can save the team and they would have to start right at the very bottom. :(

Newcastle United have just managed to pull back or should I say claw its way back from relegation the other night against Middlesbrough <---almost under dogs but a good team all the same.

The we have Sunderland, every now and then they pull it out of the hat, go blackcats.

BTW Fazor some girls do like football too you know. ;)

PraedSt
2009-May-14, 07:37 PM
It was aweful when the rest of your class mates supported the same team and only one (me) supported a different one, but I wasn't going to be a glory hunter for them. I have stood by and watched them grow from strength to strength ever since.
Then you're a real fan, and you're forgiven. :)

chrissy
2009-May-14, 07:43 PM
Then you're a real fan, and you're forgiven. :)

*well over 30 years a fan*

Now I can sleep tonight very happy in that thought....:D

geonuc
2009-May-14, 07:43 PM
Unlike Fazor, who must be some sort of closet Brit, I am a true American and know nothing about soccer/football. But if asked to name one team from whatever league it is that plays over there, it would be Manchester United. Don't know why - maybe their name turns up in movies more often.

Fazor
2009-May-14, 07:54 PM
Unlike Fazor, who must be some sort of closet Brit, I am a true American and know nothing about soccer/football. But if asked to name one team from whatever league it is that plays over there, it would be Manchester United. Don't know why - maybe their name turns up in movies more often.

The reason I was most familiar with the Arsenal was because of Henry, who was on the cover of EA Sports Soccer 200(7?).

And, I take great offense at being called a closet Brit! (And, of course, I said that so that the good chunk of users here who are British can take offense at my statement. ;)).

chrissy
2009-May-14, 08:14 PM
None taken, I'm just glad you came out of your closet..:D

Now have you tried watching Rugby? now that's a good game to watch.

Fazor
2009-May-14, 08:19 PM
None taken, I'm just glad you came out of your closet..:D

I LOVE rugby! But it's never on tv here (except during the big tourney's).

HenrikOlsen
2009-May-14, 08:23 PM
Isn't that basically people who don't see the need for 40 pounds of protective gear just to play (American)football.

Yes, I know there are differences in the rules, but both games are about a guy running with a ball and other guys trying as impolitely as possible to stop him.

I also know that I have oversimplified both games horribly and will likely be burned in effigy by fans of both for the insult come next game.

PraedSt
2009-May-14, 08:27 PM
will likely be burned in effigy by fans of both for the insult come next game.
Could you please describe your appearance in 50 words or less? :D

geonuc
2009-May-14, 08:29 PM
Isn't that basically people who don't see the need for 40 pounds of protective gear just to play (American)football.

Yes, I know there are differences in the rules, but both games are about a guy running with a ball and other guys trying as impolitely as possible to stop him.

I also know that I have oversimplified both games horribly and will likely be burned in effigy by fans of both for the insult come next game.
Yes, I think you've summed up the two nicely. Except Americans rarely kick the ball, preferring to throw or carry it. Which is why we call it football.

Arneb
2009-May-14, 08:31 PM
I'm with Henrik, here. Rugby is so much more fun to watch. I mean, you can actually see the gaps in their tooth rows AND how they're made. Not even ice hockey does that for you, usually.

PraedST, I know Arsenal have changed quite a bit. After all, I read the book. :). Still, as long as I don't have to watch replays of their 80s' matches, I'm fine.

And I consider Liverpool to be a perfectly cool alternative. Man, the CL final of 2005 when they humiliated evil Milan. I still relish how the grin on the Milan President's first froze and than fell off. Aaahh, gotta love them just for this match. Go, Didi Hamann...!!!

Arneb
2009-May-14, 08:32 PM
Americans rarely kick the ball, preferring to throw or carry it. Which is why we call it football.

Ah, now it all makes sense.

Thinking of football-
I wish Maksutov could chime in here...:(

HenrikOlsen
2009-May-14, 08:35 PM
Not even ice hockey does that for you, usually.I knew a guy who lost the middle four upper teeth by making a perfect face plant playing ice hockey.

Arneb
2009-May-14, 08:50 PM
Ouch.

kleindoofy
2009-May-14, 08:52 PM
Boruuuuuuuuussia, Boruuuuuuuuussia! :D

BVB 09!!

http://www.bundesliga.de/media/images/bundesliga/clubs&spieler/07_dortmund/aktionen/bvb-plaste-468x345.jpg

Fazor
2009-May-14, 08:58 PM
I knew a guy who lost the middle four upper teeth by making a perfect face plant playing ice hockey.

You know, after reading that, my front teeth hurt*. Make it stop! :)

*Hurt's not the most appropriate word. "Feel weird" is better; as it's not actually pain, but more a feeling of impending pain. Weird. :)

chrissy
2009-May-14, 09:11 PM

More fun without the protection/body armour a real mans game. :D

I have your stats and currently building the effigy as I speak.:whistle:

HenrikOlsen
2009-May-14, 09:15 PM
I have your stats and currently building the effigy as I speak.:whistle:
Just take care you're not tempted to use it for other things once it's finished. :D

PraedSt
2009-May-14, 09:22 PM
*Hurt's not the most appropriate word. "Feel weird" is better; as it's not actually pain, but more a feeling of impending pain. Weird. :)
Yeah, like that weirdness you feel when you see another man get hit between the legs. :)

chrissy
2009-May-14, 09:23 PM
Just take care you're not tempted to use it for other things once it's finished. :D

I don't know what you mean..:whistle:

You would deny my plants food with your ashes! :p

PraedSt
2009-May-14, 09:25 PM
Boruuuuuuuuussia, Boruuuuuuuuussia! :D

BVB 09!!

I'm curious about the '09'. That doesn't mean this year's season does it? :confused:

SeanF
2009-May-14, 09:39 PM
You know, after reading that, my front teeth hurt*. Make it stop! :)

Fazor, now just look at your avatar and imagine the good professor hitting the ice with those teeth. :surprised

kleindoofy
2009-May-14, 09:46 PM
I'm curious about the '09'. ...
That's the year the club was founded: 1909.

German sports clubs are often named that way: Schalke 04, München 1860, Hannover 96, etc.

PraedSt
2009-May-14, 10:02 PM
Aaah. Thanks.

Then perhaps I'm a fan of Schumacher 69 :p

(Had to look that one up)

kleindoofy
2009-May-14, 10:13 PM
... Schumacher 69 ...
I'm not so much a fan of motor racing.

I prefer sports. ;)

PraedSt
2009-May-14, 10:54 PM
ooooo. You're in for it now. :)

AGN Fuel
2009-May-18, 03:38 AM
I've been a West Ham supporter my entire life (my grandmother came from there and I still have relo's around the corner from Upton Park). I support them, happy in the knowledge that year after year, they will offer comfortable mediocrity.

They almost challenged for Europe this year, but recovered their senses to drop out of the running for those competitions.

The only way the Hammers will get to Europe is if there's a war...

(btw - I shall ignore the description of the glorious claret & blue as 'hideous'. ;) )

Fazor
2009-May-18, 01:27 PM
(btw - I shall ignore the description of the glorious claret & blue as 'hideous'. ;) )

I saw them in another match the other day, and will at least say this; their colors could be worse. I mean, I can't *think* of any worse combinations off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's one out there.

:)

AGN Fuel
2009-May-21, 04:13 AM
I saw them in another match the other day, and will at least say this; their colors could be worse. I mean, I can't *think* of any worse combinations off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's one out there.

:)

There's got to be something involving polka dots! :lol:

kleindoofy
2009-May-27, 08:57 PM
... Manchester United. ...
Manchester United?

Oh, yeah, the club that just got stomped on 2:0 by Barcelona in the 2009 final of the Champions League.

Barca was brilliant! Manu was [word not available on BAUT]. "United" certainly doesn't describe how they played.

:D

PraedSt
2009-May-27, 09:07 PM
Barca was brilliant! Manu was [word not available on BAUT]. "United" certainly doesn't describe how they played.
Saw the match. Woohoo!!!!!!!! :dance:

(Sorry Chrissy)

kleindoofy
2009-May-27, 09:13 PM
Experience shows that British fans never concede honest defeat, but always blame the refs, the weather, whatever ...

It will be interesting to see whom they blame this time.

Fazor
2009-May-27, 09:13 PM
Sonofa. I just set the match to record, as it comes on here in 20 min. I knew I shouldn't have clicked this thread. :rolleyes:

Oh well.

kleindoofy
2009-May-27, 09:20 PM
Oops, Sorry.

Look at it this way: when you watch a Titanic film, you know what's going to happen, but you watch anyway.

This match was much the same as a Titanic film.

For Manu.

Fazor
2009-May-27, 09:57 PM
:) No biggie. I was kinda looking forward to it, but the Indians game (provided it's not rained out) starts in an hour anyway. I'll just use it as a flip-to-during-the-commercials show.

Fazor
2009-May-28, 01:56 PM
I did manage to see some of the match last night (Only caught the last 20 minutes). Barça looked in complete control; and from what they were saying (and the score) it seemed they had been ever since their first goal. They should have had one or two more goals in that last 20 minutes, but for a couple of fantastic stops by the goalkeeper.

Lord Jubjub
2009-May-29, 11:26 PM
I've been a West Ham supporter my entire life (my grandmother came from there and I still have relo's around the corner from Upton Park).

. . .

I would have to agree with the sentiment that claret and blue do not rest easy on the eyes.

But I gotta wonder at the choice of colors when I see powder blue playing against white. I want to say Man United against Hull, but I'm not sure. Anyway, it was a bit of a chore to tell which side any one player was on.

But I was cheering on Tottenham this year to make Europe. Oh well, at least Hull City (who had never been in the top league its entire 105 years) managed to stay above relegation.