PDA

View Full Version : Hit and Run.

chrissy
2009-May-23, 09:00 PM
Tonight I saw something that has cut deep into my soul, it is now etched into my memory bank for quite some time to come, my stomach is churning because of this, my hands are shaking because of the delayed reaction of shock and horror I have witnessed and the callous way it had happened.

I had just parked my car on the road side as my daughter needed to go to the house and collect her overnight bag as she was staying at her friends house, her friend was sat in the back of my car and we were chatting.

I was looking up the road and then it happened all to quickly.

A young boy of 16 was running across the road and the next thing he was flying through the air like a rag doll, his limp body lay partly on the kerb and also on the road, he lay motionless, other cars stopped to help, there was screaming and OMGs, people were flocking around this limp body a poor woman who was at the road junction had a front seat view and her poor grandson, she crawled out of the car and grabbed her precious cargo and just slumped to the ground in total shock, I just couldn't register what I had seen either, but I decided to stay with that poor woman and try to keep her calm. Shock can be a dangerous thing for any person, she was in deep shock, her entire body was shaking, her crying uncontrolable she was gripping her poor grandchild in a vice like grip as if trying to protect him from an invisible danger.

The mother of this teenager was called and she was a broken wreck to witness her childs broken body laying in the road covered up to keep him warm, her own flesh and blood, motionless, bleeding in the gutter a sight no parent could ever imagine to see. She had people with her as she crumpled to the ground, also something I will not forget for a long time.

The police and ambulance were there within 10 minutes, but it was almost 45 minutes or more before they could stabilize him and rush him to the hospital, I do hope he pulls through.

What was upsetting her and others who had witnessed this vicious act, the driver who hit this young boy, drove off with a broken windscreen never looking back or a thought about his victim or his family.

As far as I know they are still searching for the driver and I don't know how this child is.

I am still shaking and feeling sick, a delayed reaction from the traumatic events that had unfolded before my very eyes.

Moose
2009-May-23, 09:21 PM
There've been a few hit-and-runs in this area in the past year. I can't think of very many more cowardly things that could be done. Totally beyond the pale.

PraedSt
2009-May-23, 09:59 PM
Blimey :(
How about you; you ok? How about your daughter?
The broken windshield should make catching the driver easier I hope.

Moose
2009-May-23, 10:22 PM
Chrissy hasn't posted yet, but she told me that the driver turned himself in about an hour ago, so that's something.

Still no word on the teenager.

chrissy
2009-May-23, 10:33 PM
As above, thanks Moose.

I am still shaking from it and trying to get that sight out of my mind, it seems to be on a loop, my daughter was in the house just as it happened so that's one thing to be thankful for.

I stayed calm through out, it just never registered when it happened, it only hit me when I was going back to my car. :(

Siguy
2009-May-23, 11:26 PM
:(

Such a tragic story, it must have been traumatic for everyone who witnessed it. My condolences go out to the family of the boy, as well as everyone else involved, and of course I really hope that the boy turns out to be okay.

If it's true the driver turned themself in, then at least they have a conscience.

PraedSt
2009-May-23, 11:28 PM
Well, that's something good at least. Now fingers crossed for the boy. Keep us posted if you can.

kleindoofy
2009-May-23, 11:57 PM
... If it's true the driver turned themself in, then at least they have a conscience.
Maybe, but I doubt it. The driver probably called his lawyer who told him to turn himself in.

I'll wager that when it comes to trial, they'll try to blame it all on the kid and sue his parents for the damages to the car. :mad:

chrissy
2009-May-24, 12:01 AM
The guy who was driving should have stopped, but because he left the scene that alone goes against him. :(

I am just hoping that the boy pulls through, he was in a very bad way.

chrissy
2009-May-24, 12:08 AM
I saw the car speeding towards the boy, I doubt he called a lawyer on a Saturday, someone must have spoken to him about giving himself up.

There is also talk he knew the boy and had an arguement prior.

Fazor
2009-May-24, 12:30 AM
We seem to hear about them in the news almost monthly. Sometimes, the driver turns themselves in. Understand that shock goes both ways; sometimes peoples reactions lead them to do the wrong thing. They freak out.

More often than not, it's some ******* that leaves the scene because they were driving under suspension, drunk, both, had drugs on them, whatever. Sorry for the language (It'll be asterixed anyway) but there's really not a prettier way to describe these people.

But justice or no justice, the thing to focus on is the victim. As sad and maddening as having someone leave the scene is, in this situation it has no impact on whether the boy lives or not. I hope he pulls through.

Buttercup
2009-May-24, 12:53 AM
OMG. :cry:

I can't comprehend.

Will keep these people in my sincerest thoughts and prayers, and hope driver responsible is caught and justice served!!!

:edit: I see from others' replies the driver turned himself in.

mike alexander
2009-May-24, 01:53 AM
Just saw this. I hope you are feeling a bit better.

I also hope that part about an argument turns out to be untrue. I've always said that if you want to get away with murder, ditch the gun and use a car.

mugaliens
2009-May-24, 08:29 AM
We seem to hear about them in the news almost monthly. Sometimes, the driver turns themselves in. Understand that shock goes both ways; sometimes peoples reactions lead them to do the wrong thing. They freak out.

I knew a woman who had a penchant for flooring it whenever there was an indication she was scraping something with the truck. She didn't total the trucks, but she wrecked two right sides, from front to rear quarter panels, including all doors, on two different vehicles.

Only when the panic left her did she drive home and fess up.

That's still a tragedy, Chrissy, and I'm sorry you went through that. Sorry for the family, and the boy, too. It's a good reminder for me to drive more carefully, not only through neighborhoods, but at all times, as kids are passengers of other vehicles, too.

geonuc
2009-May-24, 10:53 AM
Um. What an upsetting sight. Hopefully, the boy will be OK.

chrissy
2009-May-24, 06:59 PM
Buttercup, it is just unbelievable that someone could just willingly drive their car at someone like he did.

Mike that is so true.

Mugaliens it was horrible, just horrible. I have that scene running through my head still. The speed limit for that road is 40 mph, this guy was doing at least 50 mph. :(

geonuc I hope he is ok too, no news so far.

But on a update, the lad was a bit older than 16, the guy in the car was let out in the early hours of this morning and bragging about his conquest in a matter of fact way on facebook, a lot of people were angered by all of this including his friends. To me his attitude is in poor taste and trying to act like a hard man "no-one will mess with me now".

I am hoping the poor woman and her grandson are coping better today, as she was in a very bad state from witnessing this up close.
Another thing in my books, it isn't just the victims family that is dragged into all of this mess, it is those who have witnessed any kind of crime that suffer too. :(

kleindoofy
2009-May-24, 07:19 PM
... the guy in the car was let out in the early hours of this morning and bragging about his conquest in a matter of fact way on facebook ...
And a hit and run accident possibly turns into aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, perhaps even attempted murder, depending on the degree of intent.

I hope the attorney general's office gets some copies of those facebook entries.

chrissy
2009-May-24, 07:54 PM
You're not the only one.

I am still waiting for the police to call for me to give my statement. :(

mugaliens
2009-May-25, 04:28 AM
I'd print the facebook account and take it with you as to walk into the police station to volunteer giving your statement. At least in the US, if you insist, they're mandated to take it and include it in the case file.

closetgeek
2009-May-25, 03:02 PM
Chrissy, how are you doing? It's not uncommon for people who witness such a scene to need counseling, even if you aren't emotionally attached to either party.

chrissy
2009-May-25, 04:06 PM
I am ok, well I feel ok CG, it is that poor woman who had it up close I am so worried about. :(

More news about the guy who knocked the kid over, he is saying the car isn't his and he was on his way to wreck it, I am not even sure he holds a full licence nor insurance. :(

kleindoofy
2009-May-25, 07:30 PM
^^^^

As I wrote above, next he'll be blaiming the whole incident on the kid he hit.

mike alexander
2009-May-25, 08:52 PM
Is that like shooting someone with a borrowed gun?

chrissy
2009-May-25, 08:56 PM
Actually he is now blaming him. :(

I agree mike, he is making every excuse up he can think of, trying to pass the blame on everyone else but himself, he is the one that hit him and then drove off.

captain swoop
2009-May-25, 09:42 PM
We had something similar last winter.
2 drunks went through our garden wall, through a sexond wall and pushed my car 7 feet sideways into next doors garden. They were so drunk they got out of the car but couldn't walk away.
They were taken away by the police and both claimed the other was driving. One of them was the car owner but when he realised he was drunk his mate decided to drive but he was drunk as well and only had a provisional license.
In the end their stories didn't matter as if you let someone without a full license drive while you are drunk then you are still guilty of drink drive. We got our wall and car repaired (well the car was a write off) Even if you are drunk you are covered by your insurance for third party damage.
Car owner got an 18 month ban and both got a fine, the provisional license holder had a deffered ban.

Tucson_Tim
2009-May-26, 01:18 AM
Until the penalties for leaving the scene of an accident are greater than those for hitting someone while driving under the influence, the drunks are going to continue to leave the scene. A drunk can hit someone, drive off, surrender to the police the next day, state that "I didn't think I hit someone" or "I thought I hit a dog" or "I thought I hit a large pot hole" or "I was scared" or some other lame excuse, and get off with a lighter penalty.

NickW
2009-May-26, 02:58 AM
I agree with Tim. The likelyhood of getting into huge trouble is small. Of course we are not talking about the States here, so hit and run might be a bit differant on the other side of the pond.

Jens
2009-May-26, 03:04 AM
Until the penalties for leaving the scene of an accident are greater than those for hitting someone while driving under the influence, the drunks are going to continue to leave the scene.

But it's not only drunk drivers who do hit and runs. Sometimes it's a person who just spaced out and ran a red light. And of course the penalty for a hit and run is worse than running a red light, but they still run. I think the important thing is the reward for stopping versus the penalty for running. I know people would feel resistance to rewarding something that one should do naturally, but as a policy I think it makes sense to give a lighter sentence to a person who has stopped, and a heavier one to a person who has not.

captain swoop
2009-May-26, 07:50 AM
In the UK if you run someone down and leave the scene then the penalty is higher than if you stop. I will check to see if it's higher for DD rather than a hit and run.
IF you fail to report an accident no matter how small (little bump of fenders while reversing for example or a clash of door mirrors) then in the UK you face 3 points on your licence and a fine for failing to report. On top of that they can go with Driving Without Due Care which has from 3 points to a ban.

Salty
2009-May-27, 09:04 PM
Hi, Chrissy and all. My first time to the library, this week.

Chrissy, I hope you maintain, but the memory recurring is a symptom of PTSD; observors of traumatic incidents can also suffer traumatization. If the memories keep on, you might consider counseling.

I'll keep the family of the hit and run victim and you in prayer.

PraedSt
2009-May-27, 09:11 PM
I am still waiting for the police to call for me to give my statement. :(
Any news? You holding up?

chrissy
2009-May-27, 09:26 PM
Thank you salty, I am okay honest..:)

PraedSt There isn't any news yet, I am waiting to hear of anything, even a snippit. I really hope the lad is okay.

Salty
2009-May-27, 09:29 PM
Did you consider printing out those statements, made by the driver, to include with your statement to the police. BTW, have you heard from the police?

chrissy
2009-May-27, 09:38 PM
I can't get his profile up as I would have to befriend the little "snot" and that is something I have no intentions in doing.

I have heard nothing from the police, maybe they have enough witnesses. In a way it might be a case of "no news is good news", that the lad has given a statement himself.

If however the police do get in touch with me, I will point out what he has wrote on "facebook". :(

Salty
2009-May-27, 09:41 PM
Hmm, maybe "no news is good news".

I'm glad you're coping well.

chrissy
2009-May-27, 09:47 PM
I am too salty, there is nothing in this world to give you a sense of your own fragile body until you see something like that. I am more cautious when crossing the road now (more than usual anyway).

Salty
2009-May-27, 09:56 PM
There's some guy that goes through our neighborhood, who likes to hit-and-run the stray dogs. I've seen two or three of them, going about on three legs, the injured member hanging loose. He also hit my house mate's puppy. All I could do was pray for the puppy, who was limping on three legs. The second day, I could see bones sticking out of the injured leg. All I could do was pray. My house mate rubbed his injured leg, at first. I enquired as to euthanasia costs, from my vetinarian. I started to borrow the money to have him put away. Something else came up. Weeks have passed.

Now, he runs and jumps about on all four legs, and the bones no longer stick through his skin. I claim nothing, merely post "just the facts".

I'm wondering if I should post this. Well, I'm making no claims and ain't preaching anything, so, maybe it's OK.

chrissy
2009-May-28, 07:35 PM
Well I have news about the lad who was knocked down, it is good in a sense:

He has 15 staples in his head and suffered a fractured skull and also he has a broken ankle too. He remains in hospital still and chatting to his friends.

All I can say is he is very, very lucky indeed. :)

NickW
2009-May-28, 08:01 PM
That is good to hear, chrissy!

kleindoofy
2009-May-28, 08:03 PM
... he is very, very lucky indeed.
Yes.

And then again, no.

captain swoop
2009-May-28, 08:19 PM
Glad I don't have his luck. Good to hear he will recover though.

chrissy
2009-May-28, 08:22 PM
It is.

I was expecting it to be a lot worse, because of the speed he was going he was lucky not to receive internal bleeding and more bones broken.

The guy who hit him was chasing him apparently and intended to harm him. :(

Fazor
2009-May-28, 08:38 PM
It is.

I was expecting it to be a lot worse, because of the speed he was going he was lucky not to receive internal bleeding and more bones broken.

Well, I don't know the laws over there, but here that's attempted murder with a deadly weapon. Not only is a car considered a weapon the same as a gun is, juries are going to (typically) be harder on a person who uses a car, because emotionally, it seems just that much more barbaric.

chrissy
2009-May-28, 09:14 PM
I think it will be attempted murder, plus the fact he has no insurance etc.
I hope they throw the book at him and not miss...:D

beskeptical
2009-May-28, 09:42 PM
Well I have news about the lad who was knocked down, it is good in a sense:

He has 15 staples in his head and suffered a fractured skull and also he has a broken ankle too. He remains in hospital still and chatting to his friends.

All I can say is he is very, very lucky indeed. :)What a relief. This is what matters.

chrissy
2009-May-28, 10:44 PM
It is a relief, as there was rumours floating around that he had died.

PraedSt
2009-May-29, 07:17 PM
So the rumours were true? This was premeditated? Unbelievable. :mad:

captain swoop
2009-May-29, 08:12 PM
Not in our part of the world. There was a guy shot on the Rugby CLub car park in Guisborough. It was a showdown to find out which family was the 'hardest' in the town.

Chrissy lives just up the road a bit from me.

chrissy
2009-May-29, 10:52 PM
Yet we have never met...:eek:

captain swoop
2009-May-30, 08:54 AM
Sticks is close by as well, what were the odds?

Gigabyte
2009-May-30, 01:45 PM
I don't care! It's cool!

gzhpcu
2009-May-30, 02:59 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience Chrissy... Must be traumatic.
Good to hear that the boy is recovering.

chrissy
2009-May-30, 06:37 PM
Thank you gzhpcu. I am okay...made of sturdier stuff.

I am more relieved about the boy than anything else. :)