PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle's After Retirement ??

beethovenspiano
2009-May-24, 02:36 PM
What do NASA plan do do with the Space Shuttle's after retirement in 2010? I'm assuming they will go on public display in a museum somewhere?

KaiYeves
2009-May-24, 03:21 PM
I heard that the Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum here in NYC was bidding for one.

2009-May-24, 03:52 PM
What do NASA plan do do with the Space Shuttle's after retirement in 2010?

Shuttles.

Spread them around to various museums.

Space.com: Saving The Space Shuttle, Piece By Piece (http://www.space.com/news/cs-090207-saving-shuttle-pieces.html)

"We're not selling the shuttle," Wickman explained. "We intend to donate them to eligible organizations. But we will be asking those organizations to pick up the cost of moving the orbiters and making them safe for public display."

Wickman went on to make the point that the orbiters are $2 billion machines, so selling them for what they are worth would be pretty hard to do. Not to mention the fact that, since all NASA property belongs to the United States taxpayer, NASA must follow federal property disposal regulations, which allow eligible organizations to request that property be donated to them before it is offered for public sale.

And though they may seem a bargain compared to the price of a shuttle, the costs for safing and moving the orbiters are significant. Wickman offered a rough estimate of $42 million dollars per orbiter, which would include about $6 million in ferrying cost with the remainder divvied up among safing operations and preparations for display.

Nicolas
2009-May-24, 04:18 PM
These orbiters are true icons of spaceflight. Money should not be a problem when it comes to preserving them.

tsumrall
2009-May-24, 04:26 PM
In their current condition, what orbital service life might we expect if we left them up there? What work could they do?

Nicolas
2009-May-24, 04:46 PM
Discussed in another thread yesterday IIRC (and more times before), but I can't find it now.

And as I haven't seen you before on these boards, welcome!

2009-May-24, 05:17 PM
Discussed in another thread yesterday IIRC (and more times before), but I can't find it now.

Started in Article in STS-125 topic (http://www.bautforum.com/1492369-post527.html)

tsumrall
2009-May-24, 05:42 PM
Thank you for the welcome.
Thank you for the link.

Zvezdichko
2009-May-24, 06:58 PM
Another question: What will happen to COSTAR and to the Wide field camera 2?

novaderrik
2009-May-24, 07:57 PM
Another question: What will happen to COSTAR and to the Wide field camera 2?
Smithsonian

slang
2009-May-24, 09:25 PM
These orbiters are true icons of spaceflight. Money should not be a problem when it comes to preserving them.

I'm sure that's what they thought of the remaining Saturn V's too... and look what happened to those. Let's hope times have changed for the better.

Nicolas
2009-May-24, 09:38 PM
At least one Saturn V is kept in a decent way now (i.e. indoors).

ngc3314
2009-May-24, 09:53 PM
At least one Saturn V is kept in a decent way now (i.e. indoors).

Both the JSC and KSC ones are indoors now. For that matter, so is the one in Huntsville (although, IIRC, only a little bit of that one was flight-capable hardware). I should go see it in its new home - I've paid my share for a little bit of it, and got a nice license plate in exchange. An interesting bonus is that the Huntsville museum includes a vertical life-sized model of the Saturn V. Makes it easy to spot the Space and Rocket Center from the highway.

No more spotting them on Google Earth unless you saved old snaps.

Jens
2009-May-25, 03:54 AM
In their current condition, what orbital service life might we expect if we left them up there? What work could they do?

They could present a collision hazard to other satellites, but I doubt that that would qualify as "work" in the sense you meant it. Plus I doubt if a bunch of astronauts would really like to be left up in orbit in a non-functioning craft. So presumably you'd have to get them back down somehow.

TRUTHisnotfacts
2009-May-25, 04:53 AM
NASA will keep at least of there shuttles for display .

The rest of them may go to some display that outlines space . Like a space place that collects objects .

Keep in mind

final three Space Shuttles will be sold after they are retired in 2010....

The NASA administrator‎ Griffin should make the choice as to when it does retire .

Orion/Ares system will not be ready for use until 2015. Thats 5 years with nothing to go to space with .

I think with the united states recession we are totally screwed when it comes to space exploration

Its not the 60s 70s 80s anymore. NASA is part of a country that is under a recession

I would say for the next 20 years it will could be a low period of space exploration with all the dept this nation .

Jens
2009-May-25, 05:00 AM
Its not the 60s 70s 80s anymore. NASA is part of a country that is under a recession

Just out of curiosity, were you alive during the 70s? Are you certain there was no recession then?

TRUTHisnotfacts
2009-May-25, 05:10 AM
The 70s was hard for the united states on a local recession and the united states did not have the amount of dept to china

recession now that we are in is not even on the same level . Its not just a recession in my view its a Recession/dept . the more money we pump into the work force the more dept we have therefore taking us back where we started .

slang
2009-May-25, 06:48 AM
The NASA administrator‎ Griffin should make the choice as to when it does retire .

Griffin isn't NASA administrator anymore, unfortunately.

KaiYeves
2009-May-25, 02:08 PM
I wonder if the Smithsonian will want a flown one in addition to Enterprise or if they'll decide Enterprise is enough and let somebody else have the others?

ngc3314
2009-May-25, 02:18 PM
I wonder if the Smithsonian will want a flown one in addition to Enterprise or if they'll decide Enterprise is enough and let somebody else have the others?

I really like the vision of one of the orbiters making its last landing at Dulles to be towed over to the Smithsonian's Udvar-Hazy Center. They'd have to get it there somehow anyway.

It would even be a little 2001-ish - a big white spaceplane inbound to an airport from a space station where people mix English, Russian, and by then a bunch of other languages.

KaiYeves
2009-May-25, 04:57 PM
I really like the vision of one of the orbiters making its last landing at Dulles to be towed over to the Smithsonian's Udvar-Hazy Center. They'd have to get it there somehow anyway.

It would even be a little 2001-ish - a big white spaceplane inbound to an airport from a space station where people mix English, Russian, and by then a bunch of other languages.
That would indeed be very cool.

LaurelHS
2009-May-25, 05:10 PM
The title of this thread shouldn't have an apostrophe. It should be "Shuttles."

novaderrik
2009-May-25, 07:04 PM
The title of this thread shouldn't have an apostrophe. It should be "Shuttles."
maybe the author had the "after retirement" as a noun- you know, what it's going to be doing..
yeah, that's it..