PDA

View Full Version : The lost story ?

TRUTHisnotfacts
2009-May-24, 03:54 PM
Earth nearly 4 billion years ago was impacted by asteroids as large as the state of Kansas.

why?

thats the question that many smart men want to find out .

where did the billions of years of erosion go ? And more importantly why was the planets in such a heck and a reck of confusion ?

brings me to my final question ? Our Solar System currently contains four rocky planets Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars, If there was such a horrific and yet past of these planets from a Impacted solar system scale would do you think there could have been a few more rocky planets and something happen to them billions of years ago ?

Tinaa
2009-May-24, 04:01 PM
Moved to Q&A.
I'm sure you'll find answers to your questions here.

2009-May-24, 04:06 PM
Earth nearly 4 billion years ago was impacted by asteroids as large as the state of Kansas.

The Late Heavy Bombardment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Heavy_Bombardment)

why?

What do you mean, why?

R.A.F.
2009-May-24, 04:12 PM
where did the billions of years of erosion go ?

What do you mean by "where did the erosion go?"...it eroded away of course. :)

TRUTHisnotfacts
2009-May-24, 04:16 PM
The question was why was there such an event ?

was there other planets ?

slang
2009-May-24, 04:16 PM

why?

Nobody knows if there was a reason for those impacts. If you are looking for a cause, study solar system development (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_and_evolution_of_the_Solar_System). Many big and small planetesimals (asteroids, comets) are a normal part of the theory.

where did the billions of years of erosion go ?

What do you mean, where did it go? Is this a question like "if I stand up, where does my lap go" ? Erosion is an ongoing process, as is the creation of new mountains due to plate tectonics.

And more importantly why was the planets in such a heck and a reck of confusion ?

Due to the impacts.. Well, that's the cause answer, not the reason answer.

brings me to my final question ? Our Solar System currently contains four rocky planets Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars, If there was such a horrific and yet past of these planets from a Impacted solar system scale would do you think there could have been a few more rocky planets and something happen to them billions of years ago ?

Since our Moon is currently thought to be the result of an impact between young Earth and a Mars sized object, the answer would be yes.

2009-May-24, 05:26 PM
The question was why was there such an event ?

was there other planets ?

Did you read the Wikipedia article I cited (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Heavy_Bombardment)? It gave several possibilities. And it probably linked to subject matter with more speculation, and reasoning, if you care to read. It's conjecture.

If you must know which of the possibilities might be the one true answer, well, you are probably not going to get that soon. Give science some time.

WayneFrancis
2009-May-25, 12:52 AM

why?

I'd also point to the article 01101001 provided you a link to.

where did the billions of years of erosion go ? And more importantly why was the planets in such a heck and a reck of confusion ?

I'm confused about your question. Are you asking about where did it the erosion go over the last 3.5 billion years?

I like slang's analogy but here is another one.

Have you cleaned your house over the last couple of years? Where do all those cleanings go?

Erosion is only one process that reforms the surface of a planet.
why where the planets in such a heck and reck of confusion?

I'm not sure the planets where confused.

Why? What are you proposing happened?

Earth wasn't the only one hit in the early solar system.

Earth was hit by an object about the size of mars early on. Forget something the size of Kansas. Venus was also hit by something so large it completely flipped it over. Uranus also seems to have been hit by something so large as to have tilted it by about 90 degrees.

I'm going to go out on a limb...do you believe that the Earth, and universe, are only ~6,000 years old?

Cougar
2009-May-25, 01:20 AM
Did you read the Wikipedia article I cited (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Heavy_Bombardment)? It gave several possibilities.

Yes, that would be a good article to read if you have these questions, Tisnotfacts. For example....

One popular theory postulates that the gas giant planets migrated in orbit at this time, causing objects in the asteroid belt and/or Kuiper belt to be put onto eccentric orbits that reached the terrestrial planets.

AndrewJ
2009-May-25, 02:12 AM
Venus was also hit by something so large it completely flipped it over.

Venus' backward rotation is slow. It might have been reversed by the tidal effect of the Sun on its significant atmosphere and be settling into a tidal lock.

novaderrik
2009-May-25, 02:23 AM
Venus' backward rotation is slow. It might have been reversed by the tidal effect of the Sun on its significant atmosphere and be settling into a tidal lock.
oh no.. two people with opposing views on what happened in the past.
this proves that science is bad and that we really know nothing, so we might as well just stop thinking about stuff and just let people like the TRUTH person tell us how he thinks things happened..

TRUTHisnotfacts
2009-May-25, 03:30 AM
I did not mean for this question to spark a debate about a past event that took place

However the questions remain the same and Even if we find out what took place we still have no idea what made it all take place .

Rhaedas
2009-May-25, 03:40 AM
Gravity was a big factor.

aurora
2009-May-25, 03:42 AM
However the questions remain the same and Even if we find out what took place we still have no idea what made it all take place .

What question? Why there was a heavy bombardment period in the early solar system? The early solar system was a place with a much higher density of material (asteroids and such) than now, because the material hadn't been cleared out yet (most of it by Jupiter).

Who is "we"?

Nowhere Man
2009-May-25, 03:42 AM
Gravity, angular momentum, and orbital dynamics. Add in some turbulence (or the equivalent to aerodynamics in a cloud of dust) for spice. That's what made it happen.

Fred

TRUTHisnotfacts
2009-May-25, 03:45 AM
I have 1 idea how we all could find out what took place with hard facts ?

Build a time machine and travel back to 4.5 billion years ago lol well that could work if we could build one ..But if we had that power we could go where no man has seen ..

mugaliens
2009-May-25, 04:02 AM
The Giant Impact Hypothesis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_impact_hypothesis)isn't news, but it is the best guess going.

astromark
2009-May-25, 05:26 AM
'truthisnotfacts.' I am intrigued by your question. You imply we do not know what happened to Earth in the proto solar system... I am not alone here in my absolute rebuttle of that. I and others do know what happened. Weather I/we are able to convince you of this is a little vague...
The sun was at this time ( 4.5 billion years ago.) still colesing from the stellar mass. The planets being formed out of the fast rotating cloud of other matter. A great deal of random gravitational confusion was responsible for some very violent colissions. The slow and gradual cleaning of all that debris so as to clear the orbital paths as we find them today took some billions of years. Its never finished. Nothing stays the same. I expect this will bother you to some point. I look forward to your next enquiries.

djellison
2009-May-25, 07:39 AM
TRUTHisnotfacts,

What is your point, exactly.

eburacum45
2009-May-25, 09:12 AM
Another, more feasible way of finding out during the Late Heavy Bombardment is to study lots of other planetary systems in detail, and look for signs of similar events. It may be that bombardments of this kind are common, or are only common in systems with several large outer gas giants, or only in systems with asteroid belts in various positions, and so on.

Perhaps even more importantly, there will be systems at all stages of development, from protoplanetary disk to post-red-giant. Studying enough of these systems will allow us to examine the various stages in a system's evolution.

I suspect that every planetary system will be different, but they will show distinct similarities which we can use to make a reasonably accurate history of our own system, and of our world.

Rather than building a time machine we could build bigger telescopes and eventually interstellar probes that can explore the creation of planetary systems in detail.

Nowhere Man
2009-May-25, 10:50 AM
If we could build time machines, we would not be bothering with trivialities like the universe...

Fred

captain swoop
2009-May-26, 09:47 AM
If you want to know where the erosion went come to the North Yorkshire coast. You can look at the Sea Cliffs between Whitby and Saltburn.
Start with this site http://www.soton.ac.uk/~imw/staithes.htm. It is about he Geology around Staithes. You can see the bands and layers in the cliff. Mudstones, Shales, Ironstones. Sandstones. All the product of erosion and deposition.