PDA

View Full Version : A star moving last night I saw 2 am

TRUTHisnotfacts
2009-May-31, 01:47 AM
I have been looking In the direction of the north Atlantic ocean and the star that comes up about 2AM moves ?

The star came up at 2 AM and it comes up ALONE with no stars around it .It looks like it moves north then south back to the north and then to the south fast ...

Anyone know what it was ?

robross
2009-May-31, 01:58 AM
I have been looking In the direction of the north Atlantic ocean and the star that comes up about 2AM moves ?

The star came up at 2 AM and it comes up ALONE with no stars around it .It looks like it moves north then south back to the north and then to the south fast ...

Anyone know what it was ?

It's probably just one of the unicorns from the invisible Unicorn planet which we orbit, practicing for the upcoming unicorn stunt championships. Sometimes the sun reflects off of their invisible wings and you might see that in the upper atmosphere.

Or maybe it was just a satellite. Hrm...

Na. I'm sticking with the unicorn hypothesis.

Rob

Nowhere Man
2009-May-31, 02:01 AM
Take a look at http://www.heavens-above.com and give it your location and the date/time of the sighting. They may have info on it.

Fred

TRUTHisnotfacts
2009-May-31, 02:08 AM
Last night the stars was out no MOON.....Then out of no place this object that I think was a star came up and moves directions all over.

I was looking north off the coast of the united states of America ...This Object was coming up from the north Atlantic

I do not ever see stars move but last night there was no moon and the star was alone ...It was almost like it was not even in space ...It moved fast but also it never left and then stayed in the same place for hours

novaderrik
2009-May-31, 02:19 AM
i can't really help, but if you were to put down your exact location (it doesn't have to be your address, just your general area- like, say , New York City or whatever) and which exact direction you were looking and how high up in the sky it was, then i'm sure someone could tell you what you probably saw.

Fendercaster
2009-May-31, 06:18 AM
Fireflies are out now.

Jeff Root
2009-May-31, 06:56 AM
Jupiter, plus misjudgement of its motion.

Lamphater
2009-May-31, 01:47 PM
Jupiter rises around 2:00 AM and "wanders" like a planet.

If you are looking towards the Atlantic from the U.S. are you positive that's not East?

PraedSt
2009-May-31, 01:56 PM
Jupiter rises around 2:00 AM and "wanders" like a planet.
Planets wander? As in a different way than, say, the Moon?

H4wkeye
2009-May-31, 02:17 PM
Hmm..A police helicopter perhaps?Maybe even a UFO...

sarongsong
2009-May-31, 03:36 PM
...The star came up at 2 AM...Anyone know what it was?A dream.
How come I can not stay up past 1 AM anymore?

eburacum45
2009-May-31, 03:53 PM
Try to see it again, and compare it to a fixed object such as a lamp or street-sign. You will probably find that there is no rapid movement, just a slow movement towards the west. In which case it is probably Jupiter.

PraedSt
2009-May-31, 04:21 PM
A dream.
:lol:

Lamphater
2009-May-31, 04:26 PM
Planets wander? As in a different way than, say, the Moon?

Of course. Planets will exibit direct motion and retrograde motion. In the past, scientist had trouble explaining retrograde motion.

The word "Planet" is Greek for "wanderer".

PraedSt
2009-May-31, 04:41 PM
Of course. Planets will exibit direct motion and retrograde motion. In the past, scientist had trouble explaining retrograde motion.

The word "Planet" is Greek for "wanderer".
Well yes, but this doesn't happen over the course of a single night.

Lamphater
2009-May-31, 05:35 PM
Well yes, but this doesn't happen over the course of a single night.

Exactly, but it does SEEM to move faster when it first rises due to having a horizon as a reference frame.

Lamphater
2009-May-31, 05:45 PM
Try to see it again, and compare it to a fixed object such as a lamp or street-sign. You will probably find that there is no rapid movement, just a slow movement towards the west. In which case it is probably Jupiter.

In addition, a quick look through a telescope or binoculars may confirm a planet.

Jupiter is a large disk with four bright points around it (4 moons)
Venus is cresent shaped like the occasional moon.:eek:

TRUTHisnotfacts
2009-May-31, 05:59 PM
I did not mean that I can not stay up every night past 1 AM...

Correct . I am no longer able to stay up past 1 am...

But that does not mean that I can not stay up later than that on rare events ...

Yes I do stay up later than 1 AM but its not my normal time frame. I can not stay up past 1 AM if I just have nothing to do .

The night I was up to 2AM i was looking at space .

It was clear cool with a moist north west west wind . I had to stay awake my friend came over and we was looking for stars in space

I was right in the way that I said right was , Yes you are correct I can not stay up past 1 am anymore..

But looking at stars at night means that my energy was on the level of making me awake even tho my normal body would have been sleeping if I was not doing anything.

Was i tired ? yes...but was I up at 2 am that night when I did see a object move ? correct

Jupiter ? This object was over the Atlantic ocean looking east of north like the north Atlantic from the coast line of the east coast . The stars was more to the west of the sky but this object looked low but then it looked real huge or brighter than the bright stars at night

novaderrik
2009-May-31, 06:39 PM
where on the eat coast are you located? Florida? Maine? which direction were you actually looking?
this might help people to help you figure out what this was.

Jeff Root
2009-May-31, 07:24 PM
Truth,

Jupiter currently rises in the northeast right about 2 AM. It is brighter
than any other object in your sky at that time. The Moon and Venus
are usually brighter than Jupiter, but they aren't visible for you at 2 AM
right now. Jupiter grows brighter and fainter, depending on its distance
from Earth. So a few of the brightest stars are sometimes brighter than
Jupiter. But there are no very bright stars in the sky that are close to
Jupiter's current location.

Your seeing it moving around was probably a trick played on your eyes
by the lack of other stars to compare it against. That would especially
apply if there were scattered clouds that you were looking through.
You unconciously interpret the motion of the large clouds as motion of
the small object you are looking at, instead.

If the sky was clear, and you could see faint stars around Jupiter, then
you were seeing the bright Jupiter with your color vision, and the faint
stars with your night vision. Color vision works more slowly than night
vision, so when you move your eyes, either intentionally or unconciously,
you see the stars move instantly, but you don't see the bright image of
Jupiter move until about a tenth of a second later. That makes Jupiter
appear to jump around relative to the field of faint stars.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

kleindoofy
2009-May-31, 07:38 PM
... we was looking for stars in space ...
That's a good place to look for them. :doh:

rommel543
2009-Jun-01, 02:28 PM
That's a good place to look for them. :doh:

I have these great stickers that you can put on your ceiling, then you can look for them in you bedroom while you are getting to sleep.