PDA

View Full Version : Source of Reduced Iron on Mars?

John Jaksich
2009-Jun-04, 05:09 AM
Hello everyone,

I am throwing out this question: just off the top of my head and with some of the ruminations of Mars. Is there any indication or strong hypotheses in the works of which might go like this:

Just as the Earth has cycles for nitrogen, calcium and oxygen...(e.g. molecules converting from one form to another... ecological cycle ... I would say...)

Is there any evidence that would suggest that the reduced iron on Mars comes from or is a by-product of some bio-chemical (e.g methanogen production) or Martian-(geo)-chemical process?

For instance, the iron oxide on the Martian surface resulted from (let's say) a volcanic source (Olympus Mons)?

As much (or little ?) of what I have read of the data streaming from the Martian probes--seems to "paint" Mars far more complex (than anticipated) as the days go by?

Mars looks only red ... and (my speculation) is that it is a symptom of its demise from wet to frozen (and harsh to human life)?

WayneFrancis
2009-Jun-04, 06:21 AM
I'm not sure what you are asking here. Do you mean processes like carbon dioxide getting stored in lime stone?

What problem do you have with iron oxidizing normally via water in Mar's past when liquid water was probably more plentiful?

John Jaksich
2009-Jun-04, 09:54 AM
I'm not sure what you are asking here. Do you mean processes like carbon dioxide getting stored in lime stone?

What problem do you have with iron oxidizing normally via water in Mar's past when liquid water was probably more plentiful?

There is no real problem to it...it just seems too easy of an explanation for such a complicated system of possibilities...if I have learned anything-- it is always the more obvious choice that may be suspect (despite Occam's proviso).

My words are obviously speculation--but just "looking" at the surface of Mars-- it does (to me) appear that the Martian "red" soil could be the by-product of some Martian process that may have been indicative of how the planet became barren, frozen, and desolate. I did not want to confuse anyone?

If I am not mistaken---the surface layers of Mars are more or less the Martian "red" soil--- and underneath it there is much more complex matrix and structure.

Since it may be next to impossible (at this time) to gather physical evidence as to if the "red" soil is a simply "by=product" of the planet's barren state---I am aware of computer simulations meant to answer some of those questions---

the computational simulation is meant to discern energy profiles of the different processes that may be possbile

the link is to the Desert Research Institute at the University of Nevada Reno--Dr Giles Marion is the lead scientist (I believe) and is collaborating on a computer code for "life simulations"

http://www.dri.edu/

The computer program is written in gnu Fortran for the Mac and is in some need of refinement for the PC--but Dr. Marion does have a working set of instructions that may not be in as an advanced state

Jeff Root
2009-Jun-04, 11:32 AM
I don't really understand your question either. Without a covering of
water, ice, or vegetation, most of Earth's surface would appear red
from iron oxides, too. Obvious in the Sahara and southwestern US.
The soil contains only a few percent iron.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Hornblower
2009-Jun-04, 01:31 PM
jaksichj,

First, let's get our terminology straight. What did you mean by "reduced iron"? The bulk of your remarks dealt with iron oxides, in which the iron is in an oxidized state, not a reduced one in the sense used by chemists.

When the primordial mix includes iron, oxygen and water, we have all the ingredients we need for rust, without having to resort to some complicated model to explain it. After a solid, differentiated crust forms, eons of weathering can pulverize and homogenize a thin surface layer. Once again, a simple model. Why should you have a philosophical problem with simple explanations?

John Jaksich
2009-Jun-04, 04:40 PM
Dear Jeff and Hornblower,

I, respectfully, ask that you bear with me and I will withdraw the question from consideration...I, obviously, had a lapse of focus when I was thinking about the question on my own---

My apologies to the forum...

I will ask the moderators to remove it...

Swift
2009-Jun-04, 04:56 PM
I'm not going to remove the thread, but if the question has been dealt with, I'll close the thread.