PDA

View Full Version : What If There Is Only One Universe?

Fraser
2009-Jun-04, 11:30 PM
When it comes to universes, perhaps one is enough after all.Many theories in physics and cosmology require the existence of alternate, or parallel, universes.* But Dr. Lee Smolin of the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Canada, explains the flaws of theories that suggest our universe is just one of many, and which also [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2009/06/04/what-if-there-is-only-one-universe/)

KaiYeves
2009-Jun-04, 11:40 PM
Then I actually could understand more of the physics articles in magazines.

sohh_fly
2009-Jun-05, 03:05 AM
1 universe is just fine with me.
the more that is involved,seem's to be the more trouble around.

danscope
2009-Jun-05, 03:49 AM
This is where science and faith and imagination converge. When you ponder the infinite, you stand at a crossroads indeed. Relax. You are amoung friends.
I feel sure that there is surely more. There is no one to prove you wrong.

"Thinking is the fastest way to travel..... and you can fly; faster than light if you want to..speeding through the universe..." From an obscure rock band.

Best regards,
Dan

WaxRubiks
2009-Jun-05, 10:45 AM
I used to believe in multiverses, but then I realised that if that were true then perhaps clarvoiance wouldn't work.

trinitree88
2009-Jun-05, 10:55 AM
When it comes to universes, perhaps one is enough after all.Many theories in physics and cosmology require the existence of alternate, or parallel, universes.* But Dr. Lee Smolin of the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Canada, explains the flaws of theories that suggest our universe is just one of many, and which also [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/2009/06/04/what-if-there-is-only-one-universe/)

Fraser. I wholeheartedly agree with Dr. Smolin. Makes everything a lot more simple. He gives an excellent summary in his book, "What's Wrong With Physics". Show me a piece of dark matter, a chunk of inflationary spacetime, or some dark energy in a ten cent hardware store, or a billion dollar particle physics detector. Just one piece. pete