PDA

View Full Version : 11-Year old graduates from LA College

matthewota
2009-Jun-05, 07:31 PM
He is into Astrophysics, and considers video games a waste of time....bravo!

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/11-Year-Old-Graduates-From-LA-College.html?yhp=1

George
2009-Jun-05, 07:50 PM

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/11-Year-Old-Graduates-From-LA-College.html?yhp=1
He must be a BAUTer to learn so much so fast. :)

Ampatent
2009-Jun-05, 07:57 PM

Pretty big ego, he might know a lot about physics and math, but he sure doesn't know a thing about video games...

KaiYeves
2009-Jun-05, 08:39 PM
I feel like such an underachiever...

George
2009-Jun-05, 09:08 PM
Pretty big ego, he might know a lot about physics and math, but he sure doesn't know a thing about video games... Agreed. It's nice to know I can wax him in Halo 3. :)

TRUTHisnotfacts
2009-Jun-06, 04:07 AM
How adorable.

When I was 11 years old all I was doing is watching pee wees playhouse and drawing on coloring books and playing outside. the world is changing faster every day .

sohh_fly
2009-Jun-06, 04:21 AM
That kid is serious about taking a kick at the cat.
the cosmos should be no problem for him.

chi22
2009-Jun-06, 08:35 AM
Man, I feel so stupid...

mahesh
2009-Jun-06, 11:27 AM
I feel like such an underachiever...

His middle name is Kai....

In your case, your first name.

So, from my perspective, you ARE ahead on points.

cheer up, my-first-name Kai

Buttercup
2009-Jun-06, 01:52 PM
I actually feel sort of sorry for him. He's far too young to "fit" into an adult world [there won't be mixed drinks with colleagues while brainstorming the latest super-sci theory for another 10 years], and he's too advanced to "fit" with people his own age [it's doubtful he's into skateboarding]. Adults might be intimidated by him, children his age jealous/resentful.

I hope his parents have tried to keep him somewhat grounded and "normal." Otherwise he might easily go the route of child show-biz celebrities... :(

trinitree88
2009-Jun-06, 06:16 PM
I actually feel sort of sorry for him. He's far too young to "fit" into an adult world [there won't be mixed drinks with colleagues while brainstorming the latest super-sci theory for another 10 years], and he's too advanced to "fit" with people his own age [it's doubtful he's into skateboarding]. Adults might be intimidated by him, children his age jealous/resentful.

I hope his parents have tried to keep him somewhat grounded and "normal." Otherwise he might easily go the route of child show-biz celebrities... :(

Buttercup. While it's true the prodigy requires some careful watching, from the few I've had in class through the years, they seem to make out OK. It's child's play for a prodigy to produce their own alcohol for group gatherings with their peers at any age, and I've known a few to do so. Mixed drinks aren't the only social forum for them today either.
The bigger issue with genius is the adolescent learning curve. While the normal adolescent learner begins to slope off in their late teens, it remains intact for the prodigy for decades, requiring them to develop skills to mix with people of vastly different intellectual backgrounds...a skill seldom taught in schools. In addition, many of them remain adolescent in their emotional development, and can be petulant, game-playing adults (and I don't mean video). I have recently had a young man who mastered 4 AP courses in a year, and the brightest young lady I've ever known..(and I know a load of them from the PhD ranks at MIT)....both of them are very normal developmentally, have a good sense of humor, socialize a lot and use their skills to the max. Great kids. The future is looking up.:) pete

AndrewJ
2009-Jun-06, 07:54 PM
When I was 11 years old all I was doing is watching pee wees playhouse and drawing on coloring books and playing outside. the world is changing faster every day .

You sound like you were a young 11 year old! By 11 you should have started smoking, telling your parents you hate them and fantasizing about being a vampire.

Ilya
2009-Jun-09, 06:26 PM
requiring them to develop skills to mix with people of vastly different intellectual backgrounds...a skill seldom taught in schools.

A bit off-topic, but why exaclty are social/networking skills NOT taught at schools? Even though the fact that not all children learn these skills "on they own" has been obvious for decades? And are they taught at schools in any countries other than US?

Ampatent
2009-Jun-09, 06:53 PM
A bit off-topic, but why exaclty are social/networking skills NOT taught at schools? Even though the fact that not all children learn these skills "on they own" has been obvious for decades? And are they taught at schools in any countries other than US?

They've only got the kids for so much time in the day, and almost all of it is spent in the classroom learning.

rommel543
2009-Jun-09, 08:28 PM
I have 2 - 12yr olds and a 10 yr old. I can't keep them away from the TV or video games. One of them acts like it's his god given right to have access to them.

Ampatent
2009-Jun-09, 11:16 PM
I have 2 - 12yr olds and a 10 yr old. I can't keep them away from the TV or video games. One of them acts like it's his god given right to have access to them.

And yet you have a link to Spore.com in your signature.... :lol:

PraedSt
2009-Jun-10, 01:03 PM
I was taught etiquette, if that counts.

But in all honesty, if a school starts branching out too much in this direction, I'd be the first to remove my kid and plonk him into a more traditional school.

I can teach him to socialize, but I can't teach him French!

KaiYeves
2009-Jun-10, 10:36 PM
The kids who don't develop them on their own spend their lunches with counselors.

Such as yours truly.