PDA

View Full Version : Meteorites Cause Fires in Spain?

Ian Goddard
2004-Jan-05, 10:36 PM
Goodness, gracious - balls of fire over Spain

Hundreds of Spaniards have reported seeing balls of fire or incandescent objects fall from the sky, emergency centres said.

Some of the objects are believed to have sparked fires. [...] residents reported seeing a ball of fire light up the sky and explode in a mountainous area, igniting a fire and shaking house windows.

"I heard a big explosion, like an earth tremor, and a white cloud of smoke formed around a nearby mountain which took a long time to disappear," an official from Palencia said.

Experts believe the meteorite discharged some fragments into the atmosphere as it hurtled through space.

Sounds like the Indian story: Meteor dazzles Indians (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/3149404.stm).

Ian Goddard
2004-Jan-05, 10:54 PM
This is somewhat unrelated but interesting:

Scientists try to crack the mystery of falling ice balls

[...] They're not watching for ordinary ice storms or slick roads, but incidents involving "megacryometeors," great balls of ice that fall out of the clear blue sky [...] Heads, however, have very nearly been cracked by megacryometeors [...] Most weigh 25 to 35 pounds, but one whopper found in Brazil tipped the scales at 440 pounds.
Same report here (http://www.trivalleyherald.com/Stories/0,1413,86~10669~1823711,00.html).

Gsquare
2004-Jan-06, 03:59 AM
Fascinating stuff Ian; It reminds me of some of the Biblical events recorded in the Bible where giant hailstones came crashing down from heaven.

Here is some more of that article you referenced that I found very interesting:

"Incidents like those may be just the beginning, ......... these events may increase in the future," Travis said.

Martinez-Frias pioneered research on megacryometeors in January 2000, after ice chunks weighing up to 6.6 pounds rained on Spain out of cloudless skies for 10 days. A government scientific research agency thought the ice might be extraterrestrial, from a comet, and asked him to investigate.

At first, scientists thought the phenomenon was unique to Spain. But they've accumulated strong evidence that megacryometeors are a global event, Travis said.

They've documented ice balls falling from cloudless skies everywhere from China to the United States and studied about 20 events outside Spain.

More than 50 falls have been confirmed, and researchers believe that's a small fraction of the actual number, since most may hit unoccupied areas or melt before discovery. .....

"I am anxiously waiting to see what will happen this winter," Travis said. "We'll be keeping a lookout, and we want to make people in every state aware and ask their help. We strongly encourage eyewitnesses to preserve samples, in a freezer if need be, and contact us." "

WOW!
:o :o
Does anybody have any independent confirmation of this stuff or is the media just ignoring it because it seems so unbelieveable?

G^2

Ian Goddard
2004-Jan-06, 04:35 AM
Fascinating stuff Ian; It reminds me of some of the Biblical events recorded in the Bible where giant hailstones came crashing down from heaven.
Ran into that report while googling for the Spanish-meteorite-fires story. Seems there was a post related to this on this board here (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9919&highlight=megacryometeors). I'm going to post a response there since I found a paper by a scientist on this bizarre phenomenon and might as well keep this thread related to the thread-leading report.

Gsquare
2004-Jan-06, 04:51 AM
Thanks; I must of missed that thread.

This link from Science mag. (as pointed out by rsa) seems to have more detail:

http://tierra.rediris.es/megacryometeors/megacryometeors.pdf

However, the idea that lower ozone levels could be responsible really seems doesn't seem to 'hold water'.... :wink:
G^2 8)

Charlie in Dayton
2004-Jan-07, 06:25 AM
How much of that ice was blue?

Ian Goddard
2004-Jan-07, 06:57 AM
How much of that ice was blue?
One of the reports linked notes that none of the ice was blue nor otherwise identifiable as originating from aircraft.

Alex W.
2004-Jan-07, 07:57 AM
That precludes the UK tabloids from having flying poo meteor headlines, at least.

That's a weight off my mind.