PDA

View Full Version : binary giant planet system

Dead_Moroz
2009-Jun-08, 06:57 PM
Imagine a binary giant planet system (let it be a rogue binary), with the main element being a Jupiter-like planet and the secondary - a Saturn- or Uranus-sized planet. Both planets rotate quite (or even very) close to each other. The question is: Can the tidal forces on the secondary planet caused by gravitational interaction with the main planet be mighty enough to warm its upper layers of atmosphere (where pressure might be similar to the Earth's surface pressure) to the degree when liquid water might exist? And another question: won't this close neighbourhood of a Jupiter-like planet cause huge atmospheric "tides" on the second planet which would seem quite devastating to an observer located within the atmosphere of the second planet??

astromark
2009-Jun-08, 07:11 PM
All of what you ask is part of the what if's dept., You can imagine any thing you like.
The normal might suggest that larger planets are gas giants and to be close would involve huge tidal forces...and instability. Is it not true that the most volcanicly active object in this system is a moon near to a gas giant...?

Dead_Moroz
2009-Jun-08, 07:24 PM
All of what you ask is part of the what if's dept., You can imagine any thing you like.
The normal might suggest that larger planets are gas giants and to be close would involve huge tidal forces...and instability. Is it not true that the most volcanicly active object in this system is a moon near to a gas giant...?

That's what I've been thinking, actually (imagining anything part). Still, the tidal part is particularly interesting for me, since with the gas giants, it's quite clear that their "surface" is be becoming their "atmosphere" gradually, and I am just unsure if the "tide" from the larger planet would be confined to the "surface" or would stretch far into the upper layers of the atmosphere causing hurricanes, etc.

Ampatent
2009-Jun-08, 07:51 PM

It's also the ugliest celestial body in the solar system... :sick: