PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating Apollo ???

apolloman
2009-Jun-11, 01:49 PM
Its nearly time to celebrate our greatest achievement as a race but, if you aren’t part of the scientific community, you wouldn’t even know it !

Over here in Europe, there has been no mainstream media build up, no reminiscing, no historical footage, no interviews with the guys, nothing worth mentioning at all. Maybe it’ll happen for the Apollo 11 anniversary but what about Apollo 8 (first species of life of earth to leave its homely bounds !!!) or Apollo 10 without which 11 probably wouldn’t have happened the way it did ??
And without going into specific missions, what about the awe of those incredible years ? That “anything was possible” approach, the steadfast commitment, the unbreakable will, that sense of purpose –crowned by the glory of success & achievement.

I feel very passionate about the Apollo missions. : they should not be relegated to 10 second sound-bites for an uninterested and cynical audience.

What can be done ? Can anything be done ?

WaxRubiks
2009-Jun-11, 02:00 PM
they're saving it all for the 50th anniversary.

2009-Jun-11, 02:01 PM
See topic Apollo 40th Celebrations (http://www.bautforum.com/space-exploration/89077-apollo-40th-celebrations.html).

Polyrealastic Observer
2009-Jun-11, 02:31 PM
Too right Apollo man. The solution, I think, is to involve heavy drinking. We here in the U.S. seem to flock to the nearest watering hole to celebrate some mythological figure who supposedly chased an indigenous life form from Ireland, a wholly improbable event. Twenty somethings run around trying to out-do each other wearing ridiculous green outfits, trying to pronounce phrases from a nearly dead language, and pretending to feel inspired by hundred plus year-old musical styles that even the descendants of the people who created them don't listen to regularly. If Anheiser-Busch printed up commemorative cups with Eagle logos, and set up a few beer tents, maybe people would show up at local bars wearing blue flight suits, and shouting phrases like "Thats one small step for (a) man", or "Magnificent desolation!" Come to think of it, the A-B logo IS an Eagle. Maybe there's an angle here. Being a non drinker, I'll be the one running around trying to explain to sexy drunk girls unsuccessfully that the shuttle never has, and never will go to the moon. Why can't I be shallow and stupid?

KaiYeves
2009-Jun-11, 11:42 PM
NPR did have a very well-done segment on Apollo 8.

Jens
2009-Jun-12, 02:00 AM
Its nearly time to celebrate our greatest achievement as a race. . .

The birth of Paris Hilton? :)

Obviousman
2009-Jun-12, 10:28 AM
What you need to do, my friend, is promote it.

I twitter it.

I've posted daily summaries of the flights on multiple boards.

I remind people at work that it's been 40 years, and particularly of the challenges they faced making that historic flight (and the other flights).

I tell anyone and everyone who I can bale up for 5 mins of the significance of this - and that - time.

So what if they think I'm a space nerd? I am a space nerd (or really geek).

My advice is to inject into every break in conversation with: "Did you know that next month it will have been 40 years since Apollo 11 landed on the Moon? Let me tell you about how fascinating it was....".

Contact your local paper. Remind them about it, and ask what they are doing to commemorate it. Volunteer to write a news article about the event.

Contact the local TV station. Badger them and ask if they are going to do a special on the 40th. tell them you can help with facts and resources. Intimate that it would be so remiss of them not to do something about it.

If you have a passion in this area, then be passionate and promote it.