PDA

View Full Version : Question about gas giants.

zer0
2009-Jun-12, 11:24 PM
My question concerns gas giants like Jupiter and Saturn and meteor impacts. What happens to all the solid mass of the meteors that planets like Jupiter have been sucking down for the past 5B or so years since the formation of our solar system? If gas giants are all gas, do they just pulverize the meteors into dust under the massive pressure as they're sucked down to the middle of the gas giant's mass?

Hornblower
2009-Jun-13, 12:59 AM
My question concerns gas giants like Jupiter and Saturn and meteor impacts. What happens to all the solid mass of the meteors that planets like Jupiter have been sucking down for the past 5B or so years since the formation of our solar system? If gas giants are all gas, do they just pulverize the meteors into dust under the massive pressure as they're sucked down to the middle of the gas giant's mass?

I would expect most meteoroids to vaporize on entry into the atmosphere, just as they do in Earth's atmosphere. Some, depending on size and composition, may result in solid chunks remaining intact as they get into denser lower levels. Then they should sink toward the planet's core. When they sink deep enough they should melt in the intense heat of the interior.