PDA

View Full Version : Art contest - I need help with a quick quote!

humanrevolution
2009-Jun-17, 02:13 AM
So my teacher told me about this art contest in which I can win 200 dollars - awesome!

So below ive linked my submission, but its lacking a quote at the bottom which the teacher recommended.

Heres the idea: the quote im using needs to be directly related to the "lost" thats in the art, and the fact that the "lost" in in the environment of outer space (hence the nubula/stars)

The quote my teacher came up with was

"No GPS in space - find your own damn way home" You see how that directly relates to the word and its surroundings? Ive been thinking but Ive had no luck coming up with something clever, can someone offer some help?

Thanks!

http://img10.imageshack.us/i/lostnebula8x12verticopy.jpg/

Middenrat
2009-Jun-17, 03:03 AM
suggest: 'First Contact' or some variant to improve on my weak humour.

PraedSt
2009-Jun-17, 03:08 AM
Why can't you use the classic "Lost in Space"? Is that the name of the contest?

humanrevolution
2009-Jun-17, 03:55 AM
Why can't you use the classic "Lost in Space"? Is that the name of the contest?

I suggested that to my teacher and he said it was too "cliche" and obvious/unoriginal

suggest: 'First Contact' or some variant to improve on my weak humour.

thats cool, but can you please further explain the saying?

Thanks for the help

Tobin Dax
2009-Jun-17, 03:59 AM
What exactly is the contest? What were you asked to create? Why did you decide on this particular picture?

Ara Pacis
2009-Jun-17, 04:14 AM
How about: "This isn't your father's airliner-crashes-on-a-tropical-island drama."
or
"I have no air and I must scream."

humanrevolution
2009-Jun-17, 04:14 AM
What exactly is the contest? What were you asked to create? Why did you decide on this particular picture?

I dont know what the contest is EXACTLY, but I do know that it is at UCLA and the results will be known in September.

Nothing specific was asked to be created, that "lost" picture I was working on was originally going to be an assignment I was going to turn into my teacher for a final grade (along with 3 more projects) and when I heard about the contest, my main focus became the result you see above in my first post.

How about: "This isn't your father's airliner-crashes-on-a-tropical-island drama."
or
"I have no air and I must scream."

Haha, I love that first one, i was thinking maybe I could change it up slightly, but I like how the quote refers to being lost in space, rather than typically on a deserted island (atleast thats what I made it out to be)

Thanks alot Ara, that could possibly work!

Middenrat
2009-Jun-17, 05:06 AM
to elucidate my suggestion - your illustration carries a message which would be ironic if it were the fabled First Contact with an alien species, given our own 'lostness' when considering the Void.

Ara Pacis
2009-Jun-17, 05:37 AM
Haha, I love that first one, i was thinking maybe I could change it up slightly, but I like how the quote refers to being lost in space, rather than typically on a deserted island (atleast thats what I made it out to be)

Thanks alot Ara, that could possibly work!

I was also referencing popular culture with an allusion to the recent tv series, Lost. The saying is also a snowclone, based on the Oldsmobile tagline, "This is not your father's Oldsmobile". I was just struck by how the image looked like a movie poster.

mugaliens
2009-Jun-17, 06:47 AM
I concur with Praed - "Lost in Space"

"Space slot, misspelled" works, too...

sarongsong
2009-Jun-17, 07:18 AM
"You Are Here"

Tobin Dax
2009-Jun-17, 08:53 AM
Maybe something about a nebulous location? :)

jokergirl
2009-Jun-17, 09:26 AM
"In space, no one can hear you ask for directions"?
"Now coming to a galaxy near you"

I like "You Are Here" too.

;)

Tobin Dax
2009-Jun-17, 10:13 AM
"In space, no one can hear you ask for directions."
That's the best one I've seen in this thread.

kleindoofy
2009-Jun-17, 11:23 AM
Why can't you use the classic "Lost in Space"? ...
I was thinking along those lines, so I would suggest:

"DR. SMITH!!!" ;)