PDA

View Full Version : Egg drop experiment in hs physics

chris l.
2004-Jan-07, 08:06 PM
I wonder how the NASA scientists who dropped Spirit on Mars did in the ol' egg drop experiment in high school! How did you do?

rigel
2004-Jan-07, 08:11 PM
My kids did this in 4th grade. More than half of the class's designs survived. I have done egg tosses (bare hands, raw eggs) over 100 feet.

Swift
2004-Jan-07, 08:14 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I have a mental picture of airbags popping out around an egg.
It would be hard on the chicken if they deployed early. #-o

Andromeda321
2004-Jan-07, 08:19 PM
I did the egg thing in 5th grade. It was basically wraped first in tissue paper, then paper towels, a few other layers of gradually thicker pieces of paper, then it went into a coffee can. The entire thing had to fit into a certain sized hole (I don't remember it exactly) so you couldn't have a huge parachute etc. Oh yeah, and it was a brown shelled egg which is harder to break then a white shelled one.
And, yes, it survived! :D

Laser Jock
2004-Jan-07, 08:52 PM
Does the Eggspress (http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/90est38.html) count?

George
2004-Jan-07, 11:20 PM
3rd place in college.

Speed was the main criteria if the egg "survived". It hand to land in a circle about 35 ft. below.

We used ballons also. They were in a wiredopen trash bag. We too used tissue paper on the egg. We wanted to use a rocket design but my best friend accused us of plagerism. We didn't start our projedt until the afternoon before the big event.

The first two drops were successful. However, the Chem E and EE guys had rockets so we were too slow.

The contest was to simulate a safe lowering of an injured body (egg) off a cliff.

Our final try was for speed so I threw the egg at the small bag opening as hard as I could. It hit a ballon and bounced out and broke.

We had some great audience laughter from those who invisioned the egg to be an injured mountain climber. :lol:

Normandy6644
2004-Jan-08, 03:40 AM
I used my wallet to break the fall when I was in 8th grade I think. Unfortunately I took the egg out and dropped it. ](*,)

Colt
2004-Jan-08, 04:32 AM
We did this in fifth grade I think. My team just wrapped the egg in a huge bundle of straws. Ours were dropped from two stories up. None survived. :P -Colt

Lorcan Faol
2004-Jan-08, 06:41 AM
I remember doing this expiriment, but I don't recall what grade I was in, or how I did mine, or the outcome. I just know I've done it before.

Mainframes
2004-Jan-08, 10:49 AM
Did this when I was 13 at school and our team won! Filled a thin card box with scrunched up paper and placed the egg at the centre, and then placed the box in a larger box which was in turn filled with scrunched paper. Net result all forces distributed nice and evenly and we survived our drops.

Our egg was supposed to represent fragile medical supplied that were hurled out the back of a cargo plane. The best bit was that we were told we had two hours to do the challenge but with 45mins left we got a 'message' saying that we were ealry and had to drop the cargo in 15 mins. That really stuffed some of the disorganised groups!