PDA

View Full Version : If they discovered a cure for growing old

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2004-Jan-08, 01:52 PM
If they discovered a cure for growing old; would you take it?

gethen
2004-Jan-08, 02:07 PM
Too late. Already there.

Sigma_Orionis
2004-Jan-08, 02:14 PM
Depends on what you mean by old :) but I am already there anyways :D

NASA Fan
2004-Jan-08, 06:00 PM
No, I do not want to live forever. I would like to see them land people on Mars, but only if it happens in a reasonable amount of time, ie next 50 years, but if it is determined that that will not happen for say 100 years, then no I do not want to live that long.

Argos
2004-Jan-08, 06:19 PM
Eternal life would be fine for me. I hate having to die.

ToSeek
2004-Jan-08, 07:38 PM
Well, I don't want to die, but then I'm starting to find life boring already, and I'm only middle-aged. (Does anyone else get tired of things like the same songs on the radio and having to fix and eat dinner every single evening?) What I'd like to do would be to sleep nine years out of every ten, then come out and get caught up on anything. I'd also like an arrangement where I get awakened if anything particularly exciting is about to happen, like the current Mars landers or the eventual (I hope) human expedition to Mars.

Where do I sign up?

Lycus
2004-Jan-08, 07:59 PM
"Who wants to live forever?"

I do! Despite the never-ending amount of philosophizing one can do on the issue, immortality rules.

Vermonter
2004-Jan-08, 09:05 PM
I would take it, even just to extend my lifespan by another 100-200 years or so. If I could not die due to disease or age (DNA not snipping off a piece off of the end every time it replicated) I would definately go immortal. :-D

Humphrey
2004-Jan-08, 09:50 PM
Immortality here. Any good leader has to live forever to rule beneficially over his empire. :-)

But seriously. I woulod chose imortality. I want to see what the future holds for all of us and i want to experience it all.

semi-sentient
2004-Jan-08, 09:53 PM
Immortality here as well.

The real question is, will this ever be possible? Anyone seen the animation Ghost in the Shell? Something along those lines would be cool.

Vermonter
2004-Jan-08, 09:57 PM

The real question is, will this ever be possible? Anyone seen the animation Ghost in the Shell? Something along those lines would be cool.

Which something, though? Becoming a cyborg (not a bad idea, I want to do some work on creating practical cybernetic components) or becoming part of the Net? Given a choice between the two, I'd rather have my brain encased and be fitted into a repairable, long-lasting cybernetic body.

dvb
2004-Jan-08, 10:11 PM

I think in less than 20 years we'll know the answer. Nano robots will be able to repair our bodies at the atomic level. Just swallow a pill and cure any physical disease. I think the real question is will we be able to live well over 100 years without losing our minds. The physical body can be repaired, but the brain is a little trickier.

Pi Man
2004-Jan-08, 10:18 PM
Well... It might not be very fun to live through the sun going supernova... or, after being blown off of the earth, enduring the vacuum of space, or perhaps falling into a star or planet, or something... but if I could be assured of a hospitable place to live for eternity, I'd definitely take it.

pmcolt
2004-Jan-08, 10:43 PM
"Immortality," I suppose. Realistically there's probably a finite upper limit to how long one could survive. Still, if my lifespan could be lengthened by one or two orders without having to deal with the effects of old-age, that's a long period of productive work and a lot of exciting new discoveries and developments to live through.

Of course, after the stars die out, things are probably going to get pretty boring. And it's probably going to get pretty cold and empty and hard to find replacement parts 10^100 years from now. Meh, once that happens, I think I'll give old age a try.

DreadCthulhu
2004-Jan-09, 07:00 AM
No need for a cure to aging - I am already nigh immortal. I gazed upon this earth long before man figured out how to walk upright, and I will be after mankind has crumbled to dust.

Sigma_Orionis
2004-Jan-09, 12:21 PM
Sprague de Camp's 'Shining Hawk' just chimed in :)

Colt
2004-Jan-09, 03:24 PM
Eternal life without the risk of dying is not life at all but existence. -Colt

mutant
2004-Jan-09, 03:44 PM
I am not old. I am chronologically enhanced. #-o

Chuck
2004-Jan-10, 01:28 AM
A cure for old age and disease might greatly extend life but it's not immortality. There will still be crime, war, and accident. Maybe crime and war can be eliminated by computer chips in our heads but I see no way to completely eliminate accidents.

Even if a body does live continuously for a millions of years the person who inhabits it today will eventually be long gone. People change somewhat even during our limited life spans. Over such long periods of time many personalities would come and go. Eventually nothing will be left of the original. There won't be any exact moment in time when you can say that you're suddenly gone. The person who inhabits the body today will just gradually fade away.

Vega115
2004-Jan-10, 03:39 AM
eternal life for me....im too scared of death :oops:

space cadet
2004-Jan-10, 03:55 AM
I personally believe that our spirits will go on living after we die, (no, I don't believe in ghosts, but I think that a part of us will always be watching over our loved ones from afar) so I'm not worried about not being able to wittness mankind's great technological advancements.

Although it would be cool to expect to live to be 150, I wouldn't care to last any longer than that.

xbck1
2004-Jan-10, 04:34 AM
I'm with space cadet. I wouldn't want to live forever. It'd be nice to live to see some neat new stuff, but when my number's up I'm going.

Archer17
2004-Jan-10, 04:40 AM
Old age is relative. To a 15 year old, 24 is old, to a 21 yr old 30-something is old, etc etc. I'll know I'm truly old when banquo's_bumble_puppy starts seriously contributing to the threat he/she starts. :wink: BTW, they might extend the life-span, but people will still get old, ain't no cure for chronological progression. Who wants to jump into a heart-shaped bathtub with a 250 yr old anyway? :o [-(

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2004-Jan-10, 07:10 AM
Old age is relative. To a 15 year old, 24 is old, to a 21 yr old 30-something is old, etc etc. I'll know I'm truly old when banquo's_bumble_puppy starts seriously contributing to the threat he/she starts. :wink: BTW, they might extend the life-span, but people will still get old, ain't no cure for chronological progression. Who wants to jump into a heart-shaped bathtub with a 250 yr old anyway? :o [-(

It Depends ...

Is she Hot?

:oops:

Archer17
2004-Jan-10, 07:26 AM
.. Who wants to jump into a heart-shaped bathtub with a 250 yr old anyway? :o [-(

It Depends ...

Is she Hot?

:oops: I guess it depends on the water temperature. :P .. You are a sick puppy, you know that? :lol:

§rv
2004-Jan-10, 05:11 PM
Eternal life would get tiresome. I look forward to death and what is beyond...if there is anything beyond... To break away from this mundane existence is my goal in life and I know I will achieve it. However, I would like to see them put man on the moon and make contact, if there is contact to be made.

dgruss23
2004-Jan-10, 05:17 PM
I kind of like the way they addressed this in Babylon5 with Lorien. He was one of the first ones who were immortal. He explained to Ivonova that all the first ones were born immortal but then the universe decided that in order for life to be appreciated it had to be short and added something to the effect of "Only those who are mortal can believe that love will last forever." (poorly paraphrased).

Queen's song "Who wants to live forever?" also speaks to the question.

"What is this thing that builds our dreams, yet slips away from us?" I take that to be youth. And then later in the song:

"Forever is our today." What we do with our lives becomes our history and thus we are immortalized in that way.

Kebsis
2004-Jan-12, 08:44 AM
Immortality. I'd love to go around blowing everything and everyone away, and whole armies are shooting at me and stuff but all the bullets are just bouncing off or whatever.

pmcolt
2004-Jan-13, 06:01 AM
^ The original post stated "a cure for growing old", not "a cure for being ambushed by the armed forces of the world" ;)

At some point, the universe will be nothing more than low-energy EM radiation, and nothing will be left to do. I'd probably get bored of living long before that. I just think it'd be a nice change to face the end at my own convenience, and not at nature's. There are simply too many things to be done and not enough time in a natural lifespan to do them...