PDA

View Full Version : Winter is coming to the Northern Hemisphere

Sticks
2009-Jun-21, 04:52 PM
We have now passed the Summer Solstice, so now the nights will start to get longer and the days shorter.

Yup looks like winter is on its way :D

peteshimmon
2009-Jun-21, 05:37 PM
Oh cheer us up why dont you.

WaxRubiks
2009-Jun-21, 05:46 PM
what's the bets it rains at Glastonbury next weekend?

Tinaa
2009-Jun-21, 05:58 PM
Wish it would rain here!

Sticks
2009-Jun-21, 06:11 PM
Sorry but because The Hoppings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hoppings) are on the Town Moor, we've got the rains scheduled to come here.

Ara Pacis
2009-Jun-21, 06:29 PM
We had too much rain recently. Washed out traintracks and ethanol tankers derailed and exploded at a rail/road crossing. Several motorists burned, some severely, a couple critically, one fatally.

redshifter
2009-Jun-21, 07:04 PM
We just tied a record for consecutive dry days during spring - 29.

Gillianren
2009-Jun-21, 07:09 PM
Wish it would rain here!

Here, too. We've had .05" of rain so far this month. We're looking at four to six degrees above average, too; I hope the rest of the summer doesn't follow its example or ren faire is going to be brutal.

HenrikOlsen
2009-Jun-21, 07:51 PM
We just tied a record for consecutive dry days during spring - 29.
We just beat the previous record (http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=n&u=http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/danmarks_laengste_varmerekord&sl=da&tl=en&history_state0=) of consecutive hotter-than-average months, with May 2009 being the 19th consecutive hotter-than-average month, breaking the previous record of 18 consecutive hotter-than-average months that ended when October 2007 was colder than average.

Link is to a badly machine translated page from the original Danish.

John Jaksich
2009-Jun-21, 07:54 PM
Northern CA has been experiencing unseasonably cool weather this month.

tdvance
2009-Jun-21, 08:05 PM
Wish it would rain here!

You can have some of the rain here--Bowie is turning back in to the swamp it was built on.

KaiYeves
2009-Jun-22, 12:09 AM
That's true. Happy Solstice! (When it's cloudy all day, the longest period of sunlight rather loses it's impact.)

Tobin Dax
2009-Jun-22, 01:43 AM
Our rainfall seems to be pretty good. However, the temperature now (8:30 pm) is 85 degrees (29 in Celsius). It's been this way for a good week. I see no signs of winter.

Tucson_Tim
2009-Jun-22, 01:52 AM
That's true. Happy Solstice! (When it's cloudy all day, the longest period of sunlight rather looses it's impact.)

(my bold)

I know you want to be a writer of sorts and this is the only reason I am correcting you: loses.

I look forward to winter and the 60-70 degree days.

Jens
2009-Jun-22, 03:29 AM
(my bold)

I know you want to be a writer of sorts and this is the only reason I am correcting you: loses.

Might as well correct the other problem as well.

"looses it's impact" -> "loses its impact"

Tucson_Tim
2009-Jun-22, 03:41 AM
Thanks. I missed that one.

I rarely correct anyone's spelling or grammar because mine is not the best either but I see lose/loose misused so often and she writes stories so I thought I would bring it to her attention.

Anyhow, back to the OP.

Ara Pacis
2009-Jun-22, 03:48 AM
Might as well correct the other problem as well.

"looses it's impact" -> "loses its impact"

Might as well suggest she go ahead and call it "the longest day of the year" instead of trying to technify the language by asserting imprecision where ambiguity of context doesn't exist.

Tucson_Tim
2009-Jun-22, 03:50 AM
I didn't see Puck last night.

Ara Pacis
2009-Jun-22, 03:52 AM

Too busy entertaining Titania? Hee-Haw!

Tucson_Tim
2009-Jun-22, 03:54 AM
Too busy entertaining Titania? Hee-Haw!

I'm not crazy, you know. I don't want Oberon on my case.

AndrewJ
2009-Jun-22, 04:04 AM
We have now passed the Summer Solstice, so now the nights will start to get longer and the days shorter.

Cool! In a month or so the Sun will start going down fully and I can get the ole binocs out again.

Atraveller
2009-Jun-22, 04:36 AM
10 hours and 24 minutes of daylight here today - the sun is 39 degrees above the horrizon at high noon - which is at 11:50am local time (GMT +10) Any body want to try and figure out my Lat/Long?

Tobin Dax
2009-Jun-22, 05:19 AM
Uranus rises at about 1:00. Try looking at around 2:00 or 3:00 a.m.

AndrewJ
2009-Jun-22, 05:24 AM
Any body want to try and figure out my Lat/Long?

Wouldn't know how. Australia?

mahesh
2009-Jun-22, 10:49 AM
Doesn't Australia have three time zones? AndrewJ?
I would wildly guess....Tasmania....

H4wkeye
2009-Jun-22, 11:51 AM
I wish it would stop raining here -.- We've had enough of freakin rain(i hate it).Plus the sky view is obscured by clouds!

closetgeek
2009-Jun-22, 12:22 PM
Typically, this is our rainy season and it started off with a bang. It's been quite a few days since we've had any significant rainfall and it's really irking me because I've had to turn my sprinklers back on. My electric bill has already jumped up by $100 for just the air conditioner running more and kids in and out; and for some reason, any long conversation held between my three, who seem to ignore each other's existance any other time of year, must be held through an open door. Usually, just doing dishes by hand, reducing the times a week I do laundry, and being able to turn the sprinklers off, offsets the increase in temp maintainence, but this year seems really hot, really early. Give us some rain!

Doodler
2009-Jun-22, 12:45 PM
You can have some of the rain here--Bowie is turning back in to the swamp it was built on.

Gotta love the monsoon season...

jfribrg
2009-Jun-22, 12:49 PM
Plenty of rain where I am. Everyone here is sick of the rain. We all know and appreciate that we need to recharge the water table and fill the lakes, but enough already !! The local reservior is full. The spillway had been dry for about 18 months. That isn't too unusual, but about a month ago, the reservior overflowed, or as I say to my kids "they turned the waterfall back on". My rule of thumb is that if the spillway is wet on June 30, then we will be ok for the summer even if we get no rain for the entire season. Looks like we're gonna be fine. You folks in Texas should feel free to send some of your oil our way and we'll swap you for water. Gallon of water for a gallon of oil.

Sticks
2009-Jun-22, 12:49 PM
There must be some scientific explanation for why the rains come around this time, apart from that is when we have our Town Moor Hoppings.

Meanwhile, looking outside the window here, it looks like winter has arrived early :(

KaiYeves
2009-Jun-22, 02:52 PM
Ahhhggg! I'm always making that mistake!

AndrewJ
2009-Jun-22, 03:55 PM
Doesn't Australia have three time zones?

Wonder why they bother - virtually all Australians seem to live on the East coast.
OK, Mahesh, you have Tasmania, I shall guess Geelong!

NEOWatcher
2009-Jun-22, 04:31 PM
There must be some scientific explanation for why the rains come around this time, apart from that is when we have our Town Moor Hoppings.
Nope, just your imagination. It always seems to rain more during that period of time when your outdoor activities increase.

In fact, it looks like (http://weather.uk.msn.com/local.aspx?wealocations=wc:UKXX0098) April and Oct/Nov are your worst.

There might actually be a scientific reason for the rain. After all, there is a Scientific Reason for Earth's Seasons (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3077384/ns/technology_and_science-science/).

Now if the article would just contradict that with the non-scientific reason for the seasons. :rolleyes:

Ara Pacis
2009-Jun-22, 05:37 PM
Winter hasn't arrives early, here, it just barely left. The last week or two have been warm, and next week will be 90s, but this spring was cold for a long time.