PDA

View Full Version : Who do we kill to get this browser tab business straightend out?

tashirosgt
2009-Jun-24, 07:24 PM
I's fine with me if my browser opens new pages in tabs. It's fine if it wants only to open pges from the same site in tabs. It's relatively fine with me if it opens all pages as new windows, provided my window manager has a toolbar that shows the list of open windows.

But why must we have the current situation. If you set your browser to open pages in tabs, it sometimes does and sometimes doesn't. I've been told that Java code in pages can override the opening of a page in a tab. Unfair, I say. Fix my browser (Firefox) to ignore that code. Or remove that feature from web pages.

chrissy
2009-Jun-24, 07:29 PM
I had the same problem a short while back but everything always crashed on me when "I" opened a new tab, so I had to open a new page to get something else up, this changed when I updated IE. I can't help you with the firefox situation though..:(

Fazor
2009-Jun-24, 07:39 PM
I never, ever have a new window open in Firefox. IE does that to me though.

Pretty well off topic, but I finally got annoyed enough to install an adblock firefox plug in at work. It's like night and day; pages that took minutes to load flash up almost instantly. I guess it only proves what I've always suspected; it's the google ad server and similar services that have been bogging me down.

kleindoofy
2009-Jun-24, 07:44 PM
... I updated IE ...(
IE? :eek:

People still use IE?

Why?

nauthiz
2009-Jun-24, 08:57 PM
I use it because Windows Update doesn't like Firefox.

That's about the only time I use it, though. For anyone else who generates incompatible websites, I just don't go to their website.

pzkpfw
2009-Jun-24, 09:13 PM
People still use IE?

I recommend looking at the signature of BAUT member kleindoofy.

That's about the only time I use it, though. For anyone else who generates incompatible websites, I just don't go to their website.

The annoying thing now, is that much of the "incompatibility" is caused by IE now being more compatible!

That is, websites detect IE and provide markup that suits the old way IE worked (generally called "quirks mode") but IE tries to present it using standards and it gets messed up.

There's a bit of pain to get through, while website builders get their heads around that; but the end result should be standards all-around.

(Yes, it is IE's "fault" for being non-standard in the first place.)

tdvance
2009-Jun-24, 09:24 PM
I use it because Windows Update doesn't like Firefox.

That's why I access Windows Update from the control panel.

tofu
2009-Jun-24, 09:41 PM
People still use IE?

Most people still use IE. I use Firefox, and I happen to find IE annoying, but most people still use it. Here's a graph of the traffic last month to just the home page where I work. Note the people still using IE6.

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/tofu/babb/browsers_may09.gif

slang
2009-Jun-24, 09:44 PM
But why must we have the current situation. If you set your browser to open pages in tabs, it sometimes does and sometimes doesn't. I've been told that Java code in pages can override the opening of a page in a tab. Unfair, I say. Fix my browser (Firefox) to ignore that code. Or remove that feature from web pages.

Kill the online advertising businesses that keep trying to find new ways of forcing a pop-up window, despite all protections built-in, or added to, new web browsers. Don't use Flash and other graphics plugins, they are often used to bypass pop-up protections. The drawback would be to miss out on some webcontent, of course.

ggremlin
2009-Jun-24, 10:20 PM
For Firefox only of course:

To answer the original question, there are several add-ons, (255 at last count) that will modify the tab behavior, Tools, Add-on, Get Add-ons, Browse All-ons and find one you like.

For the really brave, open a New Window and type about:config in the address bar. This opens the configuration settings. Enter tab in the filter will show all tab configurations settings.

On a side-note, install No-script and IEView. Noscript is the best protection I've seen for browsers and IE-View allows you to view a website if you really need to use IE.

mugaliens
2009-Jun-24, 11:58 PM
IE? :eek:

People still use IE?

Why?

Because it works. Apparently you haven't tried it in a while...

As for the issue:

Whether or not a link opens in a new tab or a new window is dependant on two things: Your browser's settings, and the programming inherent in the web page or the link itself (which usually overrides your browser's settings - grr...)

The solution is simple: Right-click the link and choose "Open in New Tab" or "Open in New Window." This overrides whatever programming is on the page.

One caveat - there are a few rare programming techniques in which using this technique will bring up a blank page. The "javascript:void()" line used for contextual help is one of those. In those case, just click on the link normally (left-click).

HenrikOlsen
2009-Jun-25, 02:56 AM
One caveat - there are a few rare programming techniques in which using this technique will bring up a blank page. The "javascript:void()" line used for contextual help is one of those. In those case, just click on the link normally (left-click).
This actually seems to be a method of handling clicks that is rapidly on the rise, it seems like more websites use it all the time, probably because it's the default for some of the modern design tools.