PDA

View Full Version : Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

novaderrik
2009-Jun-25, 05:49 AM
just saw it- and wow.. lots of mindless robot-on-robot-with-puny-humans-in-the-way violence.
they did a lot of things better than the first one- i could actually tell the good guys from the bad guys in the battles this time- but there were still some things that made no sense. may have been too many weird coincidences, but i'll have to see it again before passing final judgement.
all in all, it was $8 well spent- except i don't like the way they portrayed Jetfire, which was my favorite toy as a kid..

sarongsong
2009-Jun-26, 05:56 AM
Odd footnote:
June 23, 2009
...the culmination of more than a year of Defense Department support, ranging from script and uniform notes to C-17 Globemaster III aerial maneuvers and jumps from the Army's Golden Knights parachute demonstration team...Deciding how and why to work with the services was essential in making the film work, producers said...
military.com (http://www.military.com/entertainment/movies/movie-news/military-unites-with-hollywood-on-transformers)

korjik
2009-Jun-26, 06:03 AM
Not really odd. One of the good things about the movie was that the humies werent inept. They usually gave as good as they got in the battles. They took the effort out to make it look like they were for real.

The producers do need to figure out that the pyramids arent a 5 minute drive from everywhere else in the middle east tho. It was pretty hard to figure out where the heck they were.

novaderrik
2009-Jun-27, 12:32 AM
Not really odd. One of the good things about the movie was that the humies werent inept. They usually gave as good as they got in the battles. They took the effort out to make it look like they were for real.

The producers do need to figure out that the pyramids arent a 5 minute drive from everywhere else in the middle east tho. It was pretty hard to figure out where the heck they were.
my main gripe was how the special forces team- whatever they were called- essentially stole those two cargo planes and were able to fly them from the SW United States all the way to Egypt. you'd think that aerial refueling would be a bit of a problem if you don't have authorization to be flying anywhere..

Doodler
2009-Jun-27, 04:38 AM
Its a Micheal Bay product...technical accuracy checked at the door in the name of moving along the seeming resemblence of plot in order to reach the next explosive laden special effects sequence.

Paracelsus
2009-Jul-06, 09:20 PM
just saw it- and wow.. lots of mindless robot-on-robot-with-puny-humans-in-the-way violence

That's what all of the critics have said; this movie has been almost universally panned.

I'm probably going to wait until it comes on OnDemand before watching it.

novaderrik
2009-Jul-07, 04:12 AM
i meant "lots of mindless robot-on-robot-with-puny-humans-in-the-way violence" in a good way. i loved the movie, except for pretty much any scene with Sam's parental units doing stupid stuff like talking and moving around.

Daffy
2009-Jul-08, 03:32 PM
I saw it. It was very loud, with lots of pointless slow motion shots of the female lead running toward the camera, bouncing. At least they knew who their target audience was.

My 12 year old stepson thought it was fantastic.

Glom
2009-Jul-09, 05:08 PM
It was embarassing how so many of the so-called jokes just weren't funny. There were also a couple of moments when the juxtaposition of irreverance and apocalyptic foreboding just didn't work together.

I was pretty lamed out with the movie altogether until the SR-71 arrived. He's was funny. The movie got better after his entrance.

Stregone
2009-Jul-10, 07:15 PM
Personaly I loved it. Some people it seems like forgot it was a michael bay movie and got their expectations messed up. Just look at the old cartoons, and animated movie. I rewatched them not too long ago and they are pretty dang bad for the most part. Atleast the new movies are well animated and visually exciting.

Tucson_Tim
2009-Jul-10, 08:49 PM
I have an embarrassing confession: I enjoyed the first Tranformers movie. And I kind of like the first Bad Boys movie. So, what can I say? Is there a support group for those that admit they like a Michael Bay movie? I know it's a character flaw.

Tucson_Tim
2009-Jul-11, 03:23 AM
There's one thing that Michael Bay has: his connections with the US military brass. He makes the US military look good so they are willing to let him use/photograph military planes and be at locations that few directors have access to.

Glom
2009-Jul-11, 07:40 AM
There's one thing that Michael Bay has: his connections with the US military brass. He makes the US military look good so they are willing to let him use/photograph military planes and be at locations that few directors have access to.

Yes he does like his jingoism. The weird thing is his obsession for blowing up real good all symbols of American strength and success. Maybe he's also into masochism.

Daffy
2009-Jul-11, 02:13 PM
Yes he does like his jingoism. The weird thing is his obsession for blowing up real good all symbols of American strength and success. Maybe he's also into masochism.

Jingoism?!?!?! I didn't much care for the movie, but I certainly didn't see any evidence of that. Unless, of course, your definition of jingoism is any patriotism at all. He definitely views things through an American lens, so to speak; but, of course, no British director would ever look at things from a British perspective.

Tucson_Tim
2009-Jul-11, 02:50 PM

(my bold)

If you thought I was making a pro-American military post, full of patriotism, then you would be wrong. I was just making an observation on the director's ability to do things that other directors cannot, because of his military connections. And I didn't even state that that was a good thing. So, I think you're trying to read things into my post that really aren't there. Let's not take novaderrik's thread into this subject.

Actually, I subscribe to Einstein's view on patriotism. You can find that easily with an internet search.

novaderrik
2009-Jul-11, 07:05 PM
(my bold)

If you thought I was making a pro-American military post, full of patriotism, then you would be wrong. I was just making an observation on the director's ability to do things that other directors cannot, because of his military connections. And I didn't even state that that was a good thing. So, I think you're trying to read things into my post that really aren't there. Let's not take novaderrik's thread into this subject.

Actually, I subscribe to Einstein's view on patriotism. You can find that easily with an internet search.
oh, please, by all means- take my thread wherever you want. i'm good at derailing other threads, and expect it in one of mine.

Tucson_Tim
2009-Jul-11, 07:11 PM
Just to keep this on-topic. . .

I love the fact that they kept Peter Cullen as the voice of Optimus Prime. I hope that he is still in the 2nd movie.

novaderrik
2009-Jul-12, 01:19 AM
Just to keep this on-topic. . .

I love the fact that they kept Peter Cullen as the voice of Optimus Prime. I hope that he is still in the 2nd movie.
yup. still there.

closetgeek
2009-Jul-20, 01:14 PM
I saw it. It was very loud, with lots of pointless slow motion shots of the female lead running toward the camera, bouncing. At least they knew who their target audience was.

My 12 year old stepson thought it was fantastic.

Okay, you caught that too? See, the first one was forgivable; she was wearing an ultra-miniskirt when it all went down because she was on her way home from a party. This time around; those pesky Decepticons are at it again, lemme quick take my bra off, put on the tightest black pants and the highest black heals I own to begin my adventure.

Romanus
2009-Jul-21, 02:31 AM
Finally saw this.

I hate to call it mediocre, because I really dug the first one, but it is. Yes, I loved the F/X and occasional moments of well-timed humor, but as many of my friends who saw it earlier told me, it overstays its welcome. It falls into full-blown sequelitis before the first ten minutes have passed, and by the time it's over you have a wrung-out mess. It doesn't help that much of the finale looks and feels like an exact retread of the first movie. I'll carefully sidestep the "black" twins...

I can recommend it only to "complete the set".

P.S.--One capsule review calls it "tinnitus with pictures". I cannot disagree.

closetgeek
2009-Jul-24, 02:00 PM
Finally saw this.

I hate to call it mediocre, because I really dug the first one, but it is. Yes, I loved the F/X and occasional moments of well-timed humor, but as many of my friends who saw it earlier told me, it overstays its welcome. It falls into full-blown sequelitis before the first ten minutes have passed, and by the time it's over you have a wrung-out mess. It doesn't help that much of the finale looks and feels like an exact retread of the first movie. I'll carefully sidestep the "black" twins...

I can recommend it only to "complete the set".

P.S.--One capsule review calls it "tinnitus with pictures". I cannot disagree.

Why do they always do that? The parents were amusing in the first one. Why do they always overstate the peculiarities of a character in the sequel.