PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Cleveland (Alaska) Activity

dgavin
2009-Jun-26, 06:28 PM
Mt. Cleveland has had sort of a spontaneous steam eruption and AVO/USGS has upgraded the mountain from condition green to orange.

AVO Full Report (http://www2.avo.alaska.edu/activity/report_getter.php?need=current&id=4265&type=3)

There are no Webicorder accessible siemographs at this mountain, the closest is Okmok's siesmographs. I've been unable to distinguish Okmok's normal backgroud activity from Cleveland's on those webicorders.

From what I can see though, it looks like there was no (or very limited)seismic precursors to this steam vent episode.

PetersCreek
2009-Jun-26, 06:46 PM
For some reason, the page linked is a little messed up. Here's a general link to the AVO Mt. Cleveland activity page (http://www2.avo.alaska.edu/activity/Cleveland.php). There's also a Mt. Cleveland webcam (http://www.avo.alaska.edu/webcam/Cleveland.php)but as the page states, typical weather there makes viewing iffy.

danscope
2009-Jun-26, 06:56 PM
Hi, Hang in there,Brett. And protect that cigar case. :)
Dan

PetersCreek
2009-Jun-26, 07:01 PM
I think I'll be okay. After all, Mt. Cleveland is 960 miles from my house...as the crow flies.

danscope
2009-Jun-26, 07:22 PM
Hi Brett,Yes, that will be a good cushion. Comfortable,I should say.:)
Say...High summer should be in full swing for you now.
Best regards,Sir.
Dan

jj_0001
2009-Jun-29, 04:52 PM
I think I'll be okay. After all, Mt. Cleveland is 960 miles from my house...as the crow flies.

Did Redoubt bother you at all?

I notice it's still sputtering.

PetersCreek
2009-Jun-29, 05:52 PM
We had very light ashfall at my house on one day. The preparation was almost more bother than the fall itself.

PraedSt
2009-Jun-29, 05:55 PM
We had very light ashfall at my house on one day. The preparation was almost more bother than the fall itself.
It's easy to forget that these things sometimes happen to people you know. Or sort of know. Hope you stay safe.

dgavin
2009-Jun-29, 10:51 PM
Mt. Clevland Downgraded to condition Yellow a few days ago.

The AVO statement mentioned that these sort of small eruptions are normal for the mountain. It's hard to say what sort of siesmic events happened around that time without a dataset or a webicorder to look at.

danscope
2009-Jun-30, 12:23 AM
Perhaps it reflects the degraded strength of the rock there. If it continues to build, it lets go with a lot more power. Little erruptions are better,I think.
:) Dan

dgavin
2010-Jun-07, 07:11 PM
Mt Cleveland was upgraded to Condition Yellow again last week, following an Ash emission reaching 20,000 foot heights.

Seems to have been sputtering on and off with minor ash releases, but again this is an unmonitored volcano, so there is not much information to go on with it.

dgavin
2010-Jun-11, 06:54 PM
Downgraded already to Condition White/Unassigned. This is a rarely used condition for when the only monitoring is via Satalite, fly-by's or remote imaging.

dgavin
2010-Aug-27, 07:01 PM
Mt. Cleveland was upgraded to status Yellow last night, after satelites indicated thermal variations on the summit. No other inforamtoin available on this volcano, as it is only Sat. monitored.

dgavin
2011-Apr-04, 07:15 PM
Mt. Cleveland moved back down to condition green last week.

dgavin
2011-Jul-22, 06:50 PM
Mt. Cleveland upgraded to condition Yellow yesterday after thermal signatures were detected on IR satelites. No further information available yet.

dgavin
2011-Jul-28, 07:19 PM
Thermal signature was verified visuallly, but no other signs of any activity. Remains at condition yellow.

dgavin
2011-Aug-08, 06:43 PM
Mt. Cleveland upgraded to condition Orange on Aug 2nd, as fly-by's have shown it is building a new lava dome.

Observations of Cleveland Volcano from Friday July 29, 2011 show a small lava dome about 40 meters (131 feet) in diameter in the summit crater. In response, AVO is raising the Aviation Color Code to Orange and the Alert Level to Watch.

The lava dome was extruded sometime after July 7 when the last clear view of the summit area was acquired. The formation of a lava dome is consistent with observed thermal anomalies seen since July 19, 2011 suggesting that the dome extruded since that time.

dgavin
2011-Aug-15, 06:43 PM
Mt. Cleveland still at condition Orange

According to satellite and aerial views, the eruption of a slowly growing lava dome at Cleveland volcano continues. Observers on a August 8 NOAA flight photographed a small, dark-colored dome centered at the bottom of the summit crater. In the last clear satellite view of the summit on August 9 the lava dome was about 60 meters (197 feet) in diameter.

Image form Sat/AVO http://www.avo.alaska.edu/image.php?id=36542

dgavin
2011-Aug-31, 06:57 PM
Mt. Cleveland downgraded to condition yellow. The Dome groth it was undergoing seemes to have paused or stopped.

dgavin
2011-Sep-07, 06:47 PM
Mt. Cleveland upgraded back to condition orange as of yesterday. Observations showed that the dome growth has restarted and at an accelerated rate. Dome now 120m in diameter and fills the floor of the small crater on the mountain.

danscope
2011-Sep-08, 02:13 AM
Uh-oh......stand by for news .

dgavin
2011-Sep-30, 07:06 PM
The accelerated growth of the lava dome continues, and now is higher then the top of the crater rim. It's expected within weeks maybe, that the lava dome will begine to spill over the crater rim, and start small flows down the side of the mountain. Some of these may even be tiny pyroclastic flows.

Swift
2011-Sep-30, 07:56 PM
The webcam shows nothing currently but on AVO website (under images) I found this satellite radar image from Sept 20 (http://avo.alaska.edu/image.php?id=40812) that shows the dome pretty well.

dgavin
2011-Oct-05, 07:03 PM
Partly cloudy satellite views detected elevated surface temperatures at the summit of Cleveland volcano night of Oct 3rd. AVO has received no other reports of activity at this volcano.

dgavin
2011-Oct-18, 06:41 PM
The dome growth has slowed, but it's now reached the crater wall in the NE and N directions, so lava dome material may soon begin spilling down the mountain.

dgavin
2011-Oct-28, 06:31 PM
Lava dome still growing slowly, so not much change, although USGS/AVO is indicating a possibility of an increse in activity.

dgavin
2011-Oct-31, 07:12 PM
Recent satelite images (from oct 23rd) shows that the new lava dome has undergone some deflation/subsidence, indicating a possible period of inactivity. This could change again without much notice.

dgavin
2011-Nov-04, 07:13 PM
With the subsidence of the lava dome Mt. Cleveland was downgraded to Condition Yellow

dgavin
2011-Nov-28, 08:37 PM
There are probably not going to be any more updates after this one, unless the mountain becomes more active again.

USGS is leaving it at Condition yellow for the foreseable future. After subsidence the lava dome reached a height just just short 10 feet from the crater rim.

Tensor
2011-Dec-30, 04:40 AM
Heheheheh, a rare step ahead of dgavin here. Mt Cleveland aviation code changed to Condition Orange (from yellow) and the alert status was changed to watch (from advisory) . The change of code and alert status (http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/activity/archiveupdate.php?noticeid=6885) was due to a detached ash cloud detected near Mt Clevland at up to 15,000 ft and was issued at 1655 UTC on 29 Dec. .

dgavin
2011-Dec-30, 07:44 PM
Nice catch Tensor, I have to wait on my lunch breaks to check these! Was about to post an update myself.

Tensor
2011-Dec-30, 10:33 PM
Nice catch Tensor, I have to wait on my lunch breaks to check these! Was about to post an update myself.

I got lucky as I was just looking around the net and a claim on another site caused me to go to the USGS site to verify something. I was probably about 5-10 minutes from shutting down and going to bed.

dgavin
2012-Jan-05, 07:41 PM
Mt. Cleveland was downgraded back to Condition Yellow, on Dec 30th. Looks like it was just an intermittant outburst of gas/steam.

dgavin
2012-Jan-10, 07:41 PM
Just an update, the lava dome which had almost reached the crater rim over last few months, was evidently completly blown out by the resent eruptive activity. So there was likely a good amount of tefra strewn about by that activity.

Swift
2012-Feb-01, 06:44 PM
The latest, as of 31 January, from Alaska Volcano Observatory (AVO)

Renewed eruptive activity of Cleveland Volcano has been observed in satellite data, and AVO is raising the Aviation Color Code to Orange and the Alert Level to Watch. A new lava dome has been observed in the summit crater, and as of 30 January 2012 was approximately 40 meters (130 feet) in diameter. There have been no observations of ash emissions or explosive activity during this current lava eruption.

The lava dome that formed throughout the fall-winter of 2011 was largely removed by the explosive activity on 25 and 29 December, 2011. It remains possible for intermittent, sudden explosions of blocks and ash to occur at any time, and ash clouds exceeding 20,000 feet above sea level may develop. Such explosions and their associated ash clouds may go undetected in satellite imagery for hours. If a large, explosive, ash-producing event occurs, seismic, infrasound, or volcanic lightning may be detected by local and regional monitoring networks. There is no real-time seismic monitoring network on Mount Cleveland.

Squink
2012-Feb-02, 12:21 AM
infrasound
More on that:
Infrasonics Program - Geophysical Institute, University of Allaska (http://www.gi.alaska.edu/~jvo/infrasonics/.index.html)
•Auroral Infrasound
•Microbaroms (Standing wave patterns on the sea surface in marine storms)
•Mountain Associated Waves
•Earthquake Infrasound
•Nuclear Weapons tests
•Calving Icebergs

dgavin
2012-Feb-02, 07:53 PM
Still condition Orange since Swift's posting. No Changes otherwise, no ash eruptions but dome growth has resumed.

dgavin
2012-Mar-02, 07:26 PM
It's grown another small dome, but no other changes to it's condition at this point

dgavin
2012-Mar-15, 07:45 PM
VONA alerts indicate a minor explosive event at Mt. Cleavleand yesterday, but no ash emissions from it on satillites.

dgavin
2012-Mar-26, 06:40 PM
Mt. Cleveland was Downgraded back to Condition Yellow last week. Looks like activity is reducing again.

dgavin
2012-Mar-29, 07:08 PM
Mt. Cleveland was upgraded back to Condition Orange yesterday, after signs of a brand new second lava dome forming in the sumit crater had been seen over the last five days.

dgavin
2012-Apr-04, 07:14 PM
Mt. Cleveland - Elevated temperatures on the new lava dome, indicating this one is being made of hotter materials the the previous two domes.

dgavin
2012-Apr-20, 06:39 PM
Mt. Cleveland - Condition still Orange Explosion detected yesterday with a minor ash eruption following.

dgavin
2012-Apr-30, 06:39 PM
Condition still Orange - New lava dome in the creater is forming about 25m in size so far. No additional explosive activity since last report.

Appears to be a third repeat of it's dome destruction/regrowth cycle, it's exhibited twice already.

dgavin
2012-May-11, 07:05 PM
Both ash and steam emission have stopped. Cloudy conditions prevent any determination if lava dome still growing.

dgavin
2012-May-14, 06:35 PM
Satellite images revealed elevated surface temperatures at Mt. Cleveland on Sunday, but no ash or steam emissions.

Male Mule
2012-May-20, 03:36 AM
Dgarvin,

This log is great reading. What does AVO/USGS “yellow”, “orange”, and “white” really mean?

Swift
2012-May-20, 03:19 PM
Hi Male Mule, welcome to BAUT.

Here (http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/activity/alertsystem/) is an explanation of the alert system.

There are actually two alert systems, the color codes are alerts for aviation, the activity level system goes: Normal, Advisory, Watch, and Warning. Details are on that website.

dgavin
2012-May-21, 07:07 PM
White usualy means there is a lack of monitoring, it's basicialy the same as condigtion green, but it means that it is an unmonitored volcano.

The elevated tempuratures have dimished and seismic actitivy seem to be decreasing as well at mt. Cleveland, suspect it will be downgraded to conidtion yellow this week, or next week.

dgavin
2012-Jun-01, 06:53 PM
Looks like I was spot on this time, Mt. Cleavland downgraded to Condition Yellow. No notable activity since May 9th.

dgavin
2012-Jun-06, 06:50 PM
Figures: after going to status Yellow, there was an explosion detected at Mt. Cleveland Yesterday, with elevated surface temperatures detected today on the summit.

dgavin
2012-Jun-08, 07:18 PM
Still Condition yellow and obsucred by clouds, but AVO has recived reports of a small ash out-gassing with a hugely foul smell of sulfer dioxide accompaning it, from nearby observers.

dgavin
2012-Jul-03, 06:45 PM
Was upgraded to condition orange again, a few minor ash eruptions and continuing sulfer dioxide emissions.

dgavin
2012-Jul-18, 02:00 PM
Just some updates here, on Jul 19th a pilot report ash cloud over Mt. Cleveland to 35,000ft height. Yesterday, elevated surface temperatures were noted on satellite images.

dgavin
2012-Jul-19, 07:34 PM
Mt. Cleveland Eruption underway. Web Cam images of Mt. Cleveland are showing a minor ash Eruption today, ongoing, with an ash cloud possibly in the 20,000ft height range. There have been no VONA or USGS alerts issued as of yet.

dgavin
2012-Jul-19, 07:53 PM
Updates: Vona notices indicate Elavated surface temperature today, but no euprptive activity. After tracking down the web cam image I viewed in a news article and then the when I compared USGS one, the web cam image in the new article was altered to show todays date, instead of June 19th date. Removed the image link to the USGS one for now.

dgavin
2012-Jul-20, 08:44 PM
From USGS for this week

Elevated surface temperatures at the summit of Cleveland Volcano were observed in satellite data throughout the week, cloud cover permitting. Clear web camera views of the summit on Wednesday showed nothing unusual. Satellite data also indicates that the crater is covered with ash and ballistic blocks, but no lava dome is present on the crater floor. AVO has received no reports of activity from mariners or pilots in the vicinity of the volcano.

dgavin
2012-Jul-26, 06:40 PM
A gas/steam plume was visible on webcam images yesterday, volcano has been obsured otherwise by clouds most of the week.

dgavin
2012-Aug-06, 08:38 PM
Another mminor explosiove event at Mt. Cleveland on the 4th, followed by some steam/gass emmisions.

dgavin
2013-Feb-13, 07:46 PM
Mt. Cleveland was upgraded to Condition Orange on the 6th of Feb. It started drowing a new lava dome around Jan 24th, which is already at a height of 100m (328 ft.)

dgavin
2013-Mar-02, 12:18 AM
No activity over this last week, there was some minor steam venting week before.

I suspect that it will be downgraded to condition yellow again in a few weeks.

dgavin
2013-May-06, 07:15 PM
Mt. Cleveland - Status updraded to Condition Orange After a explosion was detected on infrasound on the moring of the 4th, followed by a small ash eruption detected yesterday that is continuing into today.

dgavin
2013-May-08, 07:38 PM
The VONA alert from Yesterday indicated another Vocanic explosion, but also that the activity was already reducing. Its looking like just another small burp.

dgavin
2013-May-10, 07:42 PM
Weekly report from AVO says nothing major has happened since another explosion on the 6th, still on condition orange status, sattelites monitoring of steam/ash was blocked by clouds cover, so emisions over the last week are an unknown.

dgavin
2013-Jun-05, 06:57 PM
Mt. Cleveland was downgraded to Condition Yellow, yeasterday, after almost a month of quietness.