PDA

View Full Version : Dark Matter and the Multiverse

AriAstronomer
2009-Jul-08, 07:10 PM
Dark matter is supposedly something that only interacts with our universe gravitationally, and is invisible to the electromagnetic strong and weak forces as far as we know. Could this not be something that could fit into string theory or the other multiverse theories? It sounds to me like a possibility of what dark matter is, is 'substance' (if they have such thing as matter) in another brane or universe leaking gravity into our universe and affecting it. I have read Hawking books and theories as to the nature of gravity, and they speculate that it gravity itself could be leaking from other 'places'.....
I have also heard multiverse theories that suggest that all forces in parallel universes are different with the exception of gravity, which is a uni-'branal' force.....
Any thoughts?

Argos
2009-Jul-08, 09:05 PM
I have also heard multiverse theories that suggest that all forces in parallel universes are different with the exception of gravity

I´ve heard it too. The question is, if a force is acting on the universe, in a causal relationship, then it belongs to this universe, by definition.

ToeQuestor
2009-Jul-09, 03:12 AM
Dark Matters: The Escalation

We’re on a one way trip from the quantum fluke,
That maximal disorder within old Planck’s nook—
Heading toward the oblivion of sparse expansion,
All that we ever loved and knew going to extinction.

Cougar
2009-Jul-09, 01:19 PM
Dark matter... is 'substance' (if they have such thing as matter) in another brane or universe leaking gravity into our universe and affecting it.

Why, then, is the dark matter in our universe distributed like it is - around galaxies and clusters?

ngc3314
2009-Jul-09, 01:27 PM
Why, then, is the dark matter in our universe distributed like it is - around galaxies and clusters?

There is so much of it that the issue might (for all I know, even in the brane-leaking picture) be resolved by noting that ordinary matter has no choice but to end up where dark matter clumps are. (In perfectly mainstream views, the behavior of dark matter dictated much of how and where galaxy formation could take place).

trinitree88
2009-Jul-09, 04:01 PM
Though I will not dispute the non-Keplerian galactic rotation curves seen in the data, I think dark matter will fall into the same realm as polywater, which took about 6 years...see:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polywater pete