PDA

View Full Version : Escape from alcarzy

Glom
2009-Jul-18, 05:00 PM
Is it possible to manufacturer an explosive from run-of-the-mill bathroom materials to blow the lock off the door?

sarongsong
2009-Jul-19, 12:59 AM
H202

cjl
2009-Jul-19, 04:10 AM
Good luck getting high enough purity H2O2 out of ordinary bathroom materials though.

cjameshuff
2009-Jul-19, 04:21 AM
Is it possible to manufacturer an explosive from run-of-the-mill bathroom materials to blow the lock off the door?

Hm...water and electricity. Seal off the ventilation as well as you can and set up an electrolysis cell, fill the room with hydrogen and oxygen, and...make a spark. (You said nothing about surviving the experience...)

Otherwise...no, blowing a lock out would require a decent high explosive, which you can't get with household materials and bathroom equipment. You could possibly burn the door away around the lock (and probably kill yourself with the smoke before you escape), you could corrode the lock (possibly only ruining the lock, making it impossible for anyone to unlock), and if the bathroom is particularly well equipped in variety and quantity of substances, you could possibly make enough of a low explosive to knock the door open. (While either killing you, or merely incapacitating you while setting the place on fire around you. You probably don't want to do this.)

With a few more tools and supplies, you could make a souped up potato cannon that might be capable of breaking the lock...did a plumber leave his equipment in the bathroom? Probably surer and safer to use those tools to dismantle the lock, though...

sarongsong
2009-Jul-19, 04:25 AM
Good luck getting high enough purity H2O2 out of ordinary bathroom materials though.:lol: Hey, I'm still trying to figure out "alcarzy"...(and I've got a gallon of 35% H2O2 in mine, in addition to the "ordinary" 3%) http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
...In the presence of a reducing agent, high concentrations of hydrogen peroxide will react violently...
wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide#Safety)

mugaliens
2009-Jul-19, 06:33 AM
Hm...water and electricity. Seal off the ventilation as well as you can and set up an electrolysis cell, fill the room with hydrogen and oxygen, and...make a spark. (You said nothing about surviving the experience...)

The cool this is that the mixture is breathable.

As for surving the explosion, the burn is intense, but short. Wrapping one's self in a wet towel and hunkering down on hands and knees in the center of the floor would be very survivable.

cjameshuff
2009-Jul-19, 05:48 PM
As for surving the explosion, the burn is intense, but short. Wrapping one's self in a wet towel and hunkering down on hands and knees in the center of the floor would be very survivable.

Just wetting yourself down so hair and clothing don't ignite should be enough, I think...might get something like a sunburn. I'm worried more about the concussion effects, considering we're using it to blow a door (presumably a reasonably robust and secure door) open. And...well, you're breathing it, so it's in your lungs.

sarongsong: 35% H2O2 won't react with particular violence, not enough to directly make an explosion anyway. Some confinement and you could do something like a dry ice bomb...but you're back to needing a plumber's kit.

sarongsong
2009-Jul-19, 06:39 PM
Ah, OK, but what's "alcarzy" got to do with anything?

Hornblower
2009-Jul-19, 07:17 PM
Ah, OK, but what's "alcarzy" got to do with anything?

Maybe he meant Alcatraz.

grant hutchison
2009-Jul-19, 07:28 PM
It's a pun on Alcatraz and karzy: the former being the location of the film "Escape from Alcatraz", and the latter being British (perhaps also Australian?) slang for a toilet, dating from the 60s and 70s.

Grant Hutchison

Maha Vailo
2009-Jul-20, 12:56 AM
Ya know, Glom, if you're really that worried about getting locked in the dunny, ust take your cell phone with you.

- Maha "bathroom blitz" Vailo

sarongsong
2009-Jul-20, 06:12 AM
...to blow the lock off the door?
...locked in the dunny...Do we get a description of this lock?

Glom
2009-Jul-20, 08:51 AM
Hmm, sounds like whatever option I choose, it's going to set off the fire and gas system, which will trigger a yellow shutdown of the platform. No thanks. We only just got production stable after the last one.

BTW, I'm not still stuck in there. This is for reference in case it happens again.

Ya know, Glom, if you're really that worried about getting locked in the dunny, ust take your cell phone with you.

- Maha "bathroom blitz" Vailo

Mobile phones don't work offshore.

cjameshuff
2009-Jul-20, 01:08 PM
BTW, I'm not still stuck in there. This is for reference in case it happens again.

Ah, that makes it much easier. Come up with an excuse for storing high explosives in the bathroom.

TrAI
2009-Jul-24, 09:33 PM
Hmm, sounds like whatever option I choose, it's going to set off the fire and gas system, which will trigger a yellow shutdown of the platform. No thanks. We only just got production stable after the last one.

Mobile phones don't work offshore.

Well, as the saying should go: "Never blow up the toilet you are sitting on"

If there is a problem with the place that makes it likely to get locked in, why not get them to install a button to call for assistance?
You could have codes for things like "Roll empty, personel on seat", "Biohazard warning, reroute personel to other facillity", "Previous user missjudged accuracy, need containment and cleanup gear and a review of security footage", and so on... Or you might ask for explosive bolts on the door or an emergency exit...

trinitree88
2009-Jul-25, 04:00 PM
[QUOTE=TrAI;1536740]...snippetOr you might ask for explosive bolts on the door or an emergency exit..snippet.

TrA1. Oh, that'd give a chance for some Stooges humor. In addition, make sure the door has a mail slot big enough to let one of the explosive bolts thru. then, when somebody gets stuck....you can carefully remove the bolt from the door, pass it thru the slot, and then they can blow themselves up with it inside instead...:shifty::doh::lol: pete

see:http://www.doctormacro1.info/Images/Three%20Stooges,%20The/Annex/Annex%20-%20Three%20Stooges,%20The_03.jpg

loglo
2009-Jul-26, 04:50 PM
You don't appear to have consulted the classic source (http://macgyver.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_problems_solved_by_MacGyver) on the subject.

Glom
2009-Jul-26, 04:53 PM
I like the idea of explosive bolts.

Jens
2009-Jul-28, 07:19 AM

Just out of curiosity, is this about getting stuck accidentally, or is a kind of prank that people working offshore pull on each other?

Van Rijn
2009-Jul-28, 07:50 AM
I like the idea of explosive bolts.

I'm picturing the scene right after someone says, "Open the bathroom door, HAL."

Glom
2009-Jul-28, 08:49 AM
Just out of curiosity, is this about getting stuck accidentally, or is a kind of prank that people working offshore pull on each other?

It wasn't a prank. The gaity of the platform was from the happening of the event, not the staging of it.