PDA

View Full Version : I got iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!

MHS
2002-Apr-03, 04:21 PM
Am I the first overseas reader? I guess not /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ToSeek
2002-Apr-03, 04:40 PM
Well, you could at least show some excitement. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Wiley
2002-Apr-03, 04:58 PM
We'll try not to spoil the ending for you. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The Incubus
2002-Apr-03, 05:22 PM
On 2002-04-03 11:21, MHS wrote:
Am I the first overseas reader? I guess not /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Sorry if I'm spoiling the ending, but what did you think about the evil aliens coming back after you thought they were dead? =-)

The (Insert sarcastic comment here) Incubus

johnwitts
2002-Apr-03, 09:59 PM
I ordered mine from Waterstones in the UK and picked it up weeks ago, the day after it's official release. Does the UK count as 'overseas'? All you lot seem to be ordering it online, and waiting for shipping. Try going into a bookshop occasionally! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

MHS
2002-Apr-04, 11:54 AM
In Dutch bookstores there's usually only quite a small section with English books. That's why I didn't even give it a shot...

I've read about a 100 pages and I can't stop. I got a little confused when I read about the tides. I find it very strange to believe that the gravitational force actually pushes the water (/ground/etc.) away from the earth at the far side. But I've noticed that I'm not the only one. I've also discussed this with a couple of my friends. It's interesting!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MHS on 2002-04-04 06:55 ]</font>

SeanF
2002-Apr-04, 04:31 PM
On 2002-04-03 16:59, johnwitts wrote:

Try going into a bookshop occasionally! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Neither of our local "big" bookstores (Waldenbooks and Barnes & Noble) had it in stock. I finally had to special-order it through Waldenbooks to get one . . .

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SeanF on 2002-04-04 11:32 ]</font>

SeanF
2002-Apr-04, 04:34 PM
On 2002-04-04 06:54, MHS wrote:
I got a little confused when I read about the tides. I find it very strange to believe that the gravitational force actually pushes the water (/ground/etc.) away from the earth at the far side.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MHS on 2002-04-04 06:55 ]</font>

I think this concept throws just about everybody the first time they hear it! It's a lot easier to understand if you think about it as gravity pulling the center away from the far side rather than pushing the far side away from the center . . . /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

MHS
2002-Apr-04, 07:48 PM
I just read that you've never seen a total solar eclipse Phil. I'm one of the lucky ones that has seen the eclipse of August 1999 and it was truly one of the most beautiful things I've ever witnessed. Here in Holland the government (I guess) spend a lot of money telling the people that you shouldn't look directly at the sun during the partial-state of the eclipse. HOWEVER they told clearly that it was totally safe to look at the corona (during the totality-phase) with the naked eye. So apparently they had never heard of the effect that's described in your book! Luckily I can still see sharp /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I'm about half way in your book and it's all really interesting. On one hand I want to read further, but on the other hand I don't want to, because I'll be finished before the book book is actually paid for /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif